PDA

View Full Version : New to LF with a few questions

Jeff Dexheimer
21-Sep-2011, 11:18
I took a leap into large format with the purchase of a Tachihara 4x5 a few days ago. Bought it on ebay so I don't have it in hand yet. It comes with a Nikkor-W 135mm f/5.6 Copal 0 Shutter f/5.6 - f/6, 3 flim holders, and 10 sheets of Velvia 50.

I'll be honest, I feel like I don't know squat about the camera or large format in general. I started photography with digital and have never been happy with the image quality, so I looked elsewhere. everywhere I looked pointed to large format. Now that I made the plunge, I am going to learn this.

I have a few questions that have been bugging me.

1. is the deal I got on ebay good, bad or ugly (paid $800 for what's mentioned above)
2. what else should I be looking to buy to complete the package? I have heard light meters are necessary, if so, what's a decent kind for a starter? I do have a tripod I used with my DSLR. I believe it will still work as its rated to hold 15 lbs. What about other items?

Thank you for your help.

E. von Hoegh
21-Sep-2011, 11:26
Go here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

It's the home page of this site. Read through it, there's a wealth of information, and you can answer most if not all of your questions. LF takes work, and thought. It isn't plug&play.

You need a lightmeter, 4x5 film is too expensive to experiment on exposure with. That Velvia has very little latitude.

Light Guru
21-Sep-2011, 11:31
Im fairly new to large format myself but 800 for all that sounds like a good price. I would recommend getting some more film holder though.

As for light meters I have just been using a few iPhone apps and my DSLR to meter. I would also like to hear what others have to say about light meters.

E. von Hoegh
21-Sep-2011, 11:33
Get a good handheld meter, forget the apps and dslrs.

I use a recalibrated-for-silver Lunasix.

lilmsmaggie
21-Sep-2011, 11:36
I took a leap into large format with the purchase of a Tachihara 4x5 a few days ago. Bought it on ebay so I don't have it in hand yet. It comes with a Nikkor-W 135mm f/5.6 Copal 0 Shutter f/5.6 - f/6, 3 flim holders, and 10 sheets of Velvia 50.

I'll be honest, I feel like I don't know squat about the camera or large format in general. I started photography with digital and have never been happy with the image quality, so I looked elsewhere. everywhere I looked pointed to large format. Now that I made the plunge, I am going to learn this.

I have a few questions that have been bugging me.

1. is the deal I got on ebay good, bad or ugly (paid $800 for what's mentioned above)

The Tachihara has it's adherents. I have a Chamonix 45n-2 myself.
For $800, as long as everything is in good condition, e.g. body, lens, film holders, etc. It sounds like a good price. Check the bellows for any tears, pinholes, etc., check the lens for fungus, check shutter for accuracy. Ditto with film holders.

2. what else should I be looking to buy to complete the package? I have heard light meters are necessary, if so, what's a decent kind for a starter? I do have a tripod I used with my DSLR. I believe it will still work as its rated to hold 15 lbs. What about other items?

You'll need a dark cloth, loupe, handheld meter and eventually a few more film holders. I suggest buying a box of Arista.Edu B&W film from freestyle. Color may be a bit of a challenge right off the bat for a newbie.
Thank you for your help.

Mark Stahlke
21-Sep-2011, 11:57
E. van Hoegh's suggestion to read the home page is excellent.

There are some other items you'll want to acquire but you can "make do".
A dark cloth. Some people use a black T shirt for this.
A decent light meter. You can use your DSLR to start but a real meter is better.
A focusing loupe. Some people use high powered reading glasses.
A cable release. You can use the lever on the lens but risk shaking the camera.

Without knowing the details, I'll guess that your existing tripod and head will be adequate to start. You may want to upgrade them later.

The Tachihara doesn't have any levels so you may find something like a small hot shoe bubble level is handy. Not required but useful.

Finally, after you see your first good sheet of Velvia on the light box, you'll need a 12 step program to keep your addiction under control. :D

Light Guru
21-Sep-2011, 11:59
Get a good handheld meter, forget the apps and dslrs.

I use a recalibrated-for-silver Lunasix.

Unfortunately they are a bit out of my budget right now. The Apps actually do a pretty decent job.

There are also some good apps for taking notes on your shots and, the effects of different colored filters on B&W film as well and calculating reciprocity, and even developing of the film.

sanchi heuser
21-Sep-2011, 12:01
Hi and welcome,

-A cable is useful to avoid camera movements.

-Bag or case where your gear is safe for transport,
from my experience it's important that everything has its place
and can be put out fast, so you don't waste time with searching and unwrapping
things from bubble wrap. Plan to have enough space for the extra 2-3 lenses
you'll use.

-A small but precise spirit level for adjustments.

-A changing bag or better changing tent (e.g. Harrison) is needed. Or you have
a darkroom.

-Ziplocks for the filmholders to prevent film against dust.

Good luck, not everything will work at the first time, there are many
things that can be done wrong since it's not automatic,
enjoy the moment you examine your first good slides with a loupe...

Jeff Dexheimer
21-Sep-2011, 13:35
Thanks all for the help. I have been reading a ton of stuff, and I think I may be at the point of information overload. I expect it to take some time to complete my learning curve, but I just got so bored with digital I had to make the jump. Plus, the prints I see from 4x5's are amazing. I think I read the home page, but again I have read so much lately that I confuse myself.

I have a dark bag on order, along with B&W sheets and 2 more holders. I wasn't sure about the meter and was thinking about metering with ttl meter in my other camera. But from what I am reading here it seems like its best to just get a separate meter. i am looking at a pentax right now on ebay for $40. This is where I get confused. If I go with a $40 meter is it going to be junk or is a used slightly $40 meter a decent value?

sanchi heuser
21-Sep-2011, 14:17
Thanks all for the help. I have been reading a ton of stuff, and I think I may be at the point of information overload. I expect it to take some time to complete my learning curve, but I just got so bored with digital I had to make the jump. Plus, the prints I see from 4x5's are amazing. I think I read the home page, but again I have read so much lately that I confuse myself.

I have a dark bag on order, along with B&W sheets and 2 more holders. I wasn't sure about the meter and was thinking about metering with ttl meter in my other camera. But from what I am reading here it seems like its best to just get a separate meter. i am looking at a pentax right now on ebay for $40. This is where I get confused. If I go with a $40 meter is it going to be junk or is a used slightly $40 meter a decent value?

Sometimes people sell at low prices for different reasons.
That does not mean they sell crap.

I'd check the sellers feedback, read the description very carefully.
When the seller writes that the meter is in very good working order,
the meter has to work with an acceptable precision.
Pay with Paypal and test the meter when you receive it. Does it not function correct
you can get refund even if the seller doesn't like that. There's not too much risk.

Or buy here from other photographers, post a thread that you search a meter.

banjo
21-Sep-2011, 15:07
hey Dex
most say that the Zone VI / Pentax Digital Spot Meter is the best one to have!!
I do have one that I do use
BUT the SEKONIC DUALMASTER have more thing on to use