PDA

View Full Version : Bellows Care and Maintenance?

kq6up
20-Sep-2011, 20:44
I have a Burke and James 8x10" Grover. I am wondering what the best way to store the bellows -- folded in or extended. The looked a little droopy after setting in my office for a while. I tried to pull them up by the little tab in the middle of the bellows. It pulled right off since the glue was so old. Should I bother gluing that tab back on. I am not sure it is actually used. I am imagining it is for a wide angle lens -- that is to keep the bellows from getting in the image circle. I am not sure how important this thing is. I am rather new to 8x10" and was wondering how you guys cared for your bellows. They are still in great condition and I would like to keep it that way.

Also, I am wondering what kind of case I should get for this thing. I have been just been buckling it in a seat, but I have not been off road with it. I am wondering what would be a good case for this beast as I might have out in my Jeep in the future, and it would need better protection in that environment.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

TheDeardorffGuy
25-Sep-2011, 16:28
The sag loop is there for a reason. When fully extended it prevents sag. It is needed.
Use the search here for bellows care. theres LOTS of it. The topic appears every 2 months. I buckle my 11x14 Deardorff in a car all the time. I have a PT and no room for a camera case.

I have a Burke and James 8x10" Grover. I am wondering what the best way to store the bellows -- folded in or extended. The looked a little droopy after setting in my office for a while. I tried to pull them up by the little tab in the middle of the bellows. It pulled right off since the glue was so old. Should I bother gluing that tab back on. I am not sure it is actually used. I am imagining it is for a wide angle lens -- that is to keep the bellows from getting in the image circle. I am not sure how important this thing is. I am rather new to 8x10" and was wondering how you guys cared for your bellows. They are still in great condition and I would like to keep it that way.

Also, I am wondering what kind of case I should get for this thing. I have been just been buckling it in a seat, but I have not been off road with it. I am wondering what would be a good case for this beast as I might have out in my Jeep in the future, and it would need better protection in that environment.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

kq6up
25-Sep-2011, 17:32
What should I use to clean the old adhesive off and glue it back on with. My first guess would be gorilla glue. It is really strong.

TheDeardorffGuy
25-Sep-2011, 18:54
Clean? I have no idea what the glue is? Glue to use: pliobond. apply both surfaces let dry 15 min apply. Clamp over night. Clothespin?

What should I use to clean the old adhesive off and glue it back on with. My first guess would be gorilla glue. It is really strong.

kq6up
25-Sep-2011, 18:59
It looks like epoxy resin.

Chris

TheDeardorffGuy
25-Sep-2011, 19:22
Peel it off. Scrape it off. And pliobond. Clamping pliobond is real important.

kq6up
25-Sep-2011, 19:30
Thanks. I'll get er done.

Chris

johnielvis
25-Sep-2011, 19:33
mine peeled off too--BUT...you know what works pretty good...them little office paper clamps...the teeny ones...you can put them anywhere you want too....then when you're done shooting, take it off ... they haven't done any damage at all to my bellows if that's what you may be thinking.....no glue to glue or to unpeel....always there and totlally adjustable.....so you can have a perfectly placed bellows anti sag hook at ANY focus distance...hey hey.