View Full Version : Graduated Neutral Density (Circular vs Rectangle)

20-Sep-2011, 12:15
What do folks suggest using for grad filters? Are the circular (screw-in) ones ok generally? Is not being able to adjust where the gradient lies (up and down) a big problem? I'm speaking specifically for landscapes.

Alan Gales
20-Sep-2011, 12:41
I was reading Ken Rockwell's site one day and he was recommending the round filters because he thought that the square ones took way too long to set up and he would miss the light.

I have always used the square Cokin filters and liked the way that I could adjust them up and down.

If I was that worried about losing the light I would think that I would be using a DSLR and not a large format camara so I'll stick to my Cokin square filters. :)

Maybe someone else has a different view on this.

20-Sep-2011, 12:47
Alan, what Cokin series do you use?

Alan Gales
20-Sep-2011, 13:00
Alan, what Cokin series do you use?

I started with the A series back in the 1980's when I was shooting 35mm. After digital came out I got into medium format and started using the P series so now I have some of each. You can buy Cokin filters dirt cheap on Ebay if you want some.

20-Sep-2011, 13:08
I use Colin p type for my Dslr and 8x10. My gnd filters are hitech from adorama.


Mark Stahlke
20-Sep-2011, 13:19
What do folks suggest using for grad filters?I use Lee 4x6 and Singh-Ray's Cokin P sized ND grads.
Are the circular (screw-in) ones ok generally? Is not being able to adjust where the gradient lies (up and down) a big problem?No and yes.
I'm speaking specifically for landscapes.For landscapes on color transparency film I think ND grads are indispensable. I rarely use them when I'm shooting B&W film

20-Sep-2011, 13:27
Square without question because I often need to set the line so high or low that a circular one would start to show beyond the radius of the filter into the frame of the actual image. What the heck good is that?

Steve Hamley
20-Sep-2011, 13:44
Square. You have to be able to set the gradient line according to your composition. The horizon/sky/bright areas are not always where the gradient line on a circular is located.

Cheers, Steve

20-Sep-2011, 16:54
Forget the circle ones. They are frustrating out in the real world! The rectangular allow you to set the line exactly where you want, and at what angle you need. I use the HiTech brand and am happy with them.

Kent in SD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

20-Sep-2011, 18:24
Circular= no adjustments. Pointless. Get the lee hood/holder kit, the best.

20-Sep-2011, 20:37
I've never used a Grad filter except in Photoshop, in Nik software, and I like it a lot.
You can place the graduation where you want, angle it, add or remove density, etc etc.
This way I don't miss the light or the shot, and I have less to carry about in my bag.

2-Oct-2011, 09:15
I'm using the Cokin P series holders with HiTech filters (Colour correction and solid/graduated neutral density filters). I buy all of my filters from 2filter.com. I have no affiliation with them. I am just blown away with their customer service, speed of shipping and great prices.


Lynn Jones
3-Oct-2011, 16:15
Use the rectangular ND filters, they can be adjusted diagonally as well as vertically/horizontally.