PDA

View Full Version : Unmask 4x5 color negative.

WootSK
19-Sep-2011, 00:04
Hi, I am wondering if there are any unmask 4x5 color negative that I can get in the market today? I am looking for some of it to do some experimental developing test.:)

Roger Cole
19-Sep-2011, 02:50
Cross process E6?

WootSK
19-Sep-2011, 04:54
Trying if it is possible to do reversal processing with C-41 chemical. (Something like the "RR-4" processing I did on RA-4 paper in the past) I did cross processing of 4x5 Ektar 100 before long ago. But to my knowledge, I never seen an unmask 4x5 color negative, so asking the guru here if they know of any so can test it out and also do another cross process to compare.

EdSawyer
19-Sep-2011, 12:38
how about the recovered negative from Fuji FP100C? I bet that is unmasked.

metalsmith
19-Sep-2011, 17:38
An aside here, what is an "unmasked" negative ? I have stripped a fuji negative, it looks like a fairly dense negative to me.

Roger Cole
19-Sep-2011, 18:55
An aside here, what is an "unmasked" negative ? I have stripped a fuji negative, it looks like a fairly dense negative to me.

An unmasked negative is a color negative without the orange dye mask. You get this result by cross processing E6 film in C41. There have been a few films made without the mask:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/811205-Rollei-Digibase-CN200-Pro-C-41-Process-120-size-5-roll-Pack?cat_id=1103

metalsmith
19-Sep-2011, 19:23
Thanks! I would bet the fuji instant qualifies. Defintly missing rhe familiar orange tint

WootSK
19-Sep-2011, 21:06
An unmasked negative is a color negative without the orange dye mask. You get this result by cross processing E6 film in C41. There have been a few films made without the mask:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/811205-Rollei-Digibase-CN200-Pro-C-41-Process-120-size-5-roll-Pack?cat_id=1103

Yup, I saw those a long time. But I'm looking for 4*5 format instead of 120 format. Thanks for the reply.

WootSK
19-Sep-2011, 21:07
how about the recovered negative from Fuji FP100C? I bet that is unmasked.

Thanks! I would bet the fuji instant qualifies. Defintly missing rhe familiar orange tint

When we talk about unmask, we're talking about color negative not instant. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Roger Cole
19-Sep-2011, 21:09
Yup, I saw those a long time. But I'm looking for 4*5 format instead of 120 format. Thanks for the reply.

I know, just using it to reply to the other question about what an unmasked negative is. :)

EdSawyer
20-Sep-2011, 13:21
Fuji color instant DOES have a recoverable negative. Read up on it. It just requires a little bleach. After that, you have an unmasked negative of the instant print.

When we talk about unmask, we're talking about color negative not instant. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Mark Sampson
20-Sep-2011, 13:36
The only other unmasked color film I know about was the old Kodak Aerocolor 2445. It was discontinued 7-8 years ago and only came in 9-1/2" wide long rolls anyway, so no help there. When we made enlargements from it, we would put a piece of unexposed, processed c-41 film above the negative carrier to bring the enlarger filtration to a workable level. I never did see the advantage of the lack of masking but never found out why it was that way. Guess I should have asked the film designers.

WootSK
20-Sep-2011, 19:02
Fuji color instant DOES have a recoverable negative. Read up on it. It just requires a little bleach. After that, you have an unmasked negative of the instant print.

Thanks for the reply, I am actually planning on trying out a reversal processing with C-41 films (with C-41 chemical) and compare the result to E-6 slides. Also to try if there is any color off and also if it can be fix with a filter as well. As such, I cannot use a color instant with bleach (It washes off developed silver to produce the negative) or a masked negative.

The only other unmasked color film I know about was the old Kodak Aerocolor 2445. It was discontinued 7-8 years ago and only came in 9-1/2" wide long rolls anyway, so no help there. When we made enlargements from it, we would put a piece of unexposed, processed c-41 film above the negative carrier to bring the enlarger filtration to a workable level. I never did see the advantage of the lack of masking but never found out why it was that way. Guess I should have asked the film designers.

Interesting finding, will look into it and see for any possibility. Thanks for reply :D

domaz
22-Sep-2011, 09:22

I'm assuming for scanning an unmasked color negative would be easier to deal with? Seems questionable it would be worth the trouble though.

LF_rookie_to_be
23-Sep-2011, 02:57
Perhaps the unmasked negative would enlarge to today's digital papers, such as Supra Endura VC and Crystal Archive DP-II with all colors being balanced correctly?

Sevo
23-Sep-2011, 05:12
Agfa Gevaert still has unmasked aero CN film, too - the Aviphot Color X... series are unmasked, while the N... series is masked.