PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Anastigmat 130mm 6.3

John Conway
18-Sep-2011, 09:29
Just won a Kodak 130mm Anastigmat 6.3 on ebay. Didn't realize it was a medium format lens until it was to late. Anyway, I'm stuck with it. I think I'll play with it on 4x5 and see what happens. If it has a gradual falloff maybe I can get some better quality "Holga" type images.

Mark Tweed
18-Sep-2011, 21:57
John, I haven't any direct experience with this specific lens, but many of the early Anastigmats are of Tessar design. And the fact that it's a f6.3 may mean it may have slightly wider coverage than a faster f4.5 of the same focal length. Just look at the famous Kodak f4.7 127mm Ektar, it just covers the 4X5 format but sometimes you can squeak a little movement out of it by using adjustments with the back standard (versus the front).

Give it a try when it arrives, you might be surprised.

Fotoguy20d
19-Sep-2011, 07:41
I would suspect this is a type IIb tessar, or maybe a dialyt - the wonderful 203mm f7.7 Anastigmat is one, as is the 170mm f6.3 I have in an Ilex Universal shutter (off some large Kodak folder). In any event, I wouldn't be surprised to find it covers 4x5.

Dan

Jim Jones
19-Sep-2011, 08:54
70 years ago Kodak used a Kodak Anastigmat f/6.3 130mm on Kodak Vigilant 116 film cameras to cover 2.25x4.25 film. This was a three element, three group lens. Other models of similar cameras sometimes had the Kodak Anastigmant Special f/4.5 Tessar type lens.

John Conway
19-Sep-2011, 15:13
The replies that I have received here about this lens are wonderful. This is the reason I have such great respect for this forum. Endless knowledge from nice respectable people. One of the most exciting things that I find about large format photography is the endless possibilities with lenses. When I first looked at the image of the old 130 Kodak, I said to myself, that lens just looks like it will make unique, nostalgic looking images. After reading the replies, now I am really anxious to get her on my camera.

Jim Jones
19-Sep-2011, 17:54
The replies that I have received here about this lens are wonderful. This is the reason I have such great respect for this forum. Endless knowledge from nice respectable people. One of the most exciting things that I find about large format photography is the endless possibilities with lenses. When I first looked at the image of the old 130 Kodak, I said to myself, that lens just looks like it will make unique, nostalgic looking images. After reading the replies, now I am really anxious to get her on my camera.

Yes, that's the ultimate test. The rest of us can provide tidbits of information, but only you can determine what the lens can do for you.

Fotoguy20d
20-Sep-2011, 05:53
If you got one of these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Special-No-3-Autographic-Model-W-130mm-F6-3-Kodak-Anastigmat-lens-/330616249307?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item4cfa439bdb), I believe that camera is 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" so you've got a good shot at it covering (at least for portraits) and maybe having some nice roll-off or distortion going into the corners.

Dan

John Conway
20-Sep-2011, 14:53
Oh Yeah, that is what I am hoping for. Just like you describe it. The guy I bought it from did some tests with it through a digital camera. He said the lens was pretty darn sharp sharp in the center. Hey, maybe I will get a little petzval touch to the images. That would be nice. If I remember the term correctly, this little gem might give me some sweet "Bohkeh". Correct me if I am wrong.

Fotoguy20d
21-Sep-2011, 04:25
John,

Bokeh is the term for the blur in the background. It'll vary depending on the lens design, size of aperture, and shape of aperture - generally, the more blades, the more round the opening, the smoother the bokeh.

A lens which is being used on a larger format than is intended might also display softness, particularly in the corners. For example, Tessar type lenses are generally softer wide open, with sharpness increasing as you stop down to around f2. Although a lens may cover (perhaps illuminate is a better word) 4x5, you may find it's significantly soft into the corners. Might be a good effect for portraits but not so much for some landscapes.

Dan

John Conway
21-Sep-2011, 12:50
Hey Fotoguy, The lens on the camera that you posted the picture of is the same lens on it's way to my doorstep. The lens I am getting is in very good shape. I already cut out a cardboard lens board so I can try it out. Thanks.

Fotoguy20d
21-Sep-2011, 13:50
I looked around my shelf full of folders and came across a 1-A Autographic Special (http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/No._1A_Autographic_Kodak_Special) - uses 116 film (2 1/2 x 4 1/4). The lens turned out to be a 130mm f6.3 Kodak Anastigmat in Optimo shutter. I don't know if its the same as yours but construction is a dilyt ( 4 element 4 group)

Do you want me to spoil the surprise and let you know what it seems capable of? I mounted it on my Speed Graphic....

spoiler below....

keep going...

it seemed to cover fully. Not just that, it still seemed to cover at maximum rise and front tilt, not that either of those is overwhelming on a Speed. Looks like a nice lens for 4x5. Have fun.

Dan

John Conway
21-Sep-2011, 15:49
Dan, thanks so much. And yes, my lens is dilyt lens. I am going to try and put the picture of it up here. I am not good with the computer. But if I screw it up, I'll get my son to help me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290608389672?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648#ht_500wt_898

Liquid Artist
31-Aug-2014, 02:48
I know that this is an old thread, but I just bought the same lens and have to wait for it to arrive. I am wondering if John or anyone else happens to have some sample photos taken with theirs. I would love to see some colour photos too.

Plus i am wondering if anyone has tried it on a 5x7. I imagine that may be asking too much for a medium format lens but I'd still like to try it.

For $30.00 for a beautiful lens with clean glass and a working shutter I didn't think I could go wrong. Especially since I was already getting a package from the fellow, so shipping is basically free.

Dan Fromm
31-Aug-2014, 06:19
Plus i am wondering if anyone has tried it on a 5x7. I imagine that may be asking too much for a medium format lens but I'd still like to try it.

These lenses and other f/6.3 and f/7.7 dialyte types from EKCo cover no more than 60 degrees. A 130 mm 60 degree lens will barely cover 4x5.

That said, I'm sure that some happy owners will insist that their 130/6.3 Kodak Anastigmats cover 5x7 and more. Its all a question of what cover means. Some interpret it as "puts good image in the corners" (tight definition), others as "illuminates the corners" (loose definition). You'll have to find out yourself whether what it does on 5x7 suits you.

Liquid Artist
31-Aug-2014, 07:57
That does make sense Dan,
I actually shoot a fair amount of macros with very little dof, so very soft on the outside may work for that. If it still illuminates the corners. But then again I may hate the images produced from it altogether. It wouldn't be the first time.

If it is a complete dud of a lens I'll probably use it in a reading lamp I'm making using a junk 4x5 camera. It would look better in there than the enlarger lens I had originally planned to use.

I'd still love to see some sample photos if anyone happens to have some easy to access.