PDA

View Full Version : Where would you rent a MFDB set-up in NYC?

Frank Petronio
17-Sep-2011, 16:25
Just wondering, if I wanted to rent a recent medium format digital set-up - Hasselblad, Leica, Phase - for a day on location, who would you rent from in NYC?

Insurance?

Deposit? (I don't have a $50K credit limit on my CC)

Does it cost more to take it out of the rental studio for outdoor work?

I wouldn't make a pretense of actually buying, lol.

Thanks - Frank

brian mcweeney
17-Sep-2011, 16:31
I've used Digital Transitions for my Phase One back. Seem pretty up and up. You're definitely going to need insurance. Here's a link to their rental section:
http://www.digitaltransitions.com/digital-rental-requirements.php

Bob Salomon
17-Sep-2011, 16:57
Also Foto Care and K&M do rentals.

Jim C.
18-Sep-2011, 15:20
Lens and Repro is another place for renting digibacks, and I think Adorama and B&H do rentals too

bdkphoto
18-Sep-2011, 15:38
fotocare

Michael N. Meyer
18-Sep-2011, 19:07
Adorama does rentals of MDFBs. When I've rented from them (not MFDBs specifically) they've required a deposit in the form of a hold on a CC. I've never been asked for additional (proof of) insurance or whether the rental would be used indoors or out.

Daniel Stone
18-Sep-2011, 20:51
Frank,

all the places I've picked up rentals in SF, LA and other places(not NY yet, I'm still that new to the game ;)), didn't ask me/us where/how we were using the equipment. Same cost for inside or out, 10k frames or just one. This applies to all grip, strobe, hmi, camera and other misc equipment rented out by most supply houses. Its just built into the cost. If you don't have a rental policy, you might want to get one. Tell them its short term(if it is), you might pay more, but it'll be cheaper than the bill if the back/camera shits out on you, and they feel its your fault...

and you've already mentioned you don't have a c/c with that kinda limit anyhow, so you're up a tree w/o a rental policy. Most insurers usually have liability(say, $500k), rental limit(usually starting at around $10k or so, it adds up fast, believe me, c-stands are like $200 EACH at most rental places, yes, that's MORE than retail, even though they rent them for $8/day or so), and that MFDB will probably be around $25-30k deposit. If you're going to be traveling out of your normal stompin grounds, its probably best to fax ahead a copy(or have your insurer do it) to the rental house with which you'll be doing business with. It will speed up the process, and they'll hopefully have everything ready, all you need to do is sign your name on the dotted line ;), well, also put some sort of deposit on your c/c for the rental fee as well.

-Dan

Pawlowski6132
19-Sep-2011, 12:54
I don't know.

Frank Petronio
19-Sep-2011, 14:27
Thanks for contributing. Now could you please stop calling at 3am?

Ari
19-Sep-2011, 15:26
I don't know.

Thanks for contributing. Now could you please stop calling at 3am?

Are we interrupting something? ;)