PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy 120 film

Kona617
16-Sep-2011, 22:54
Hey everyone, had a mundane question about buying 120 film. I live in Hawaii and have just started using a 120 panoramic camera. I only get 4 to 5 shots per roll of film so I go through rolls rather quickly. Forced to buy off line due to limited/no availability on the island, Does anyone know of a good place online to buy 120 film. BHPhoto and Adorama are the only two places I have found and both seem to be out of stock all the time. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

RickV
16-Sep-2011, 23:00
Have you tried here:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?q=120&catsel=all&

Daniel Stone
17-Sep-2011, 00:09
www.samys.com

www.bhphotovideo.com

www.adorama.com

www.amazon.com

www.ebay.com LOTS OF SELLERS HERE IN LA, great prices too

www.freestylephoto.biz A little higher price-wise, but usually in stock for most things

I'm sure there's many others though

-Dan

bobherbst
17-Sep-2011, 18:16
Calumet Photographic, Chicago, IL. Two months ago, I bought 200 rolls of TMX - in stock and at my door in three days. Earlier this year I ordered 150 rolls - in stock - same delivery time. They do a lot of volume and turn over stock frequently. Result - you get fresh film. Put it in the freezer and you are good for 8-10 years.

Michael Jones
17-Sep-2011, 19:09
The View Camera Store
Badger Graphic
Calumet

mj

false_Aesthetic
17-Sep-2011, 20:06
Try Calumet in Los Angeles. Ask for Christy Jewel. I've been working with her exclusively since I started managing a photo lab at a L.A. university. I dunno, maybe I've just had bad luck but dealing with Calumet Chicago (where I grew up) was always a pain. Maybe it's because I drop a significant amount of money each semester but Christy has always gone above and beyond what I expect.

Kona617
17-Sep-2011, 22:52
Thanks for quick responses everyone. I have a lot to look at now but since I'm here any suggestions on film for landscape photography. I like to stick to slide film and I'm using a 6x17 format camera. I am fairly new to this so any input would be great.
Thanks again

Daniel Stone
17-Sep-2011, 23:24
Provia is awesome, you can do almost anything with it. Great for long exposures too.

IMO, its the ULTIMATE color film(neg or chrome). Beautiful color palette, its Fuji's "WYSIWYG" film in their lineup for chromes, but it can sure be saturated at times! I use it primarily myself, and complement it with Velvia 50 when I want some extra "punch".

here's my opinions of the current lineups of different films:

E-6(slide films)
FUJI
Provia: see my statement above
Velvia 100: Great film, similar to the 50 speed, but, IMO, slightly less saturated. Good if you need an extra stop of speed though
Velvia 100f: Lower saturation than V100, but higher than Provia in most cases
Velvia 50: the "landscapers film" of choice supposedly. I use it when I WANT saturation and contrast. It sure delivers both!
Kodak
E100G: Similar to Fuji's Provia, but a little warmer in color balance IMO. Very nice film. Has a tendency to go slightly blue if processed in Fuji E-6 chems(supposedly something to do with Ph level difference between Fuji specs and Kodaks, according to my lab)
E100VS: Kodak's "Velvia". Not the same though. Saturates Reds, yellows and reds like you can't believe. Velvia tends to saturate the cooler colors(green,blue,purples,etc..). Very nice film. High contrast.

C-41(negatives)
Fuji
160NS(formerly 160S): very nice film. Normal contrast and saturation levels(well, Fuji's "normal", which is generally a little different than Kodak's ;) ). Scans and optically prints very well. Very fine grained.
Reala 100: more contrasty, and slightly more saturated than 160NS. Not as fine grained IMO, but I haven't used it a lot. Scans well, and prints via analog means well too.
Kodak
Portra 160: their "combined" 160 speed pro film. Formerly their was 160NC(normal contrast.color), and 160VC(vivid color/contrastier). The new film is supposedly a combo of the two, but IMO, is flatter than the 160NC of before. Scans well, and is EXTREMELY fine-grained.
Portra 400: Same thing here. Formerly two versions(at least for 35mm and MF rollfilms only). Formerly 400NC(rolls AND sheets(up to 8x10) and 400VC(rollfilm only). The new one is a combo of the two former emulsions, a little higher contrast(IMO) and more saturated than the former 400NC, but lower than the 400VC. Also a VERY fine-grained film, almost as fine as the Portra 160. Almost being the key word here.
Portra 800: I'm only mentioning this b/c it is available in rollfilm only, not in sheets. Since you're shooting landscapes, I'll assume you're looking for fine-grained film, not something that hasn't really been "updated" in almost 5+ years. Still a great film though, and renders skintones beautifully, great for MF handheld photography in low-light situations

just my long-winded $.02 :D

-Dan

Tim Gray
18-Sep-2011, 09:15
B&H was out of stock of 120? Which film?

All of the above store choices sound like good ones to me.

For slide film, I think I'd go with E100G or Provia for more subdued landscapes or E100VS or Velvia 50 for more saturated ones. As for color neg film, Ektar 100 could also be a great choice for saturated (but more subdued than E100VS or Velvia) or Portra 160/400 for a more subtle look.

I do love Portra 800 but it's probably not the best choice for landscapes. I think it was most recently update about 4-5 years ago (800-3), right before 400NC/VC-3.

Oh, and Provia 400X is a quite amazing film for an ISO 400 slide film.

GPS
18-Sep-2011, 09:24
B&H was out of stock of 120? Which film?

Provia 100 F. Since at least 3 weeks and still without knowing when available...:(

Tim Gray
18-Sep-2011, 09:29
Provia 100 F. Since at least 3 weeks and still without knowing when available...:(

Odd. I was asking because some Fuji films in some formats were just discontinued, but that wasn't one of them to my knowledge. Freestyle shows expected delivery for it sometime next week, so maybe a new shipment is on its way.

Kona617
18-Sep-2011, 11:14
Sorry I wasn't more specific. I started using Fujichrome Velvia RVP 100 film. The earlier posts were very informative about the differences and benefits to various types of film. However since Velvia 100 seems to be a safe choice I'm going to stick with it so I have a constant variable to work with till I better hone my skills.
Unfortunately that is the film that is out of stock at both BHphoto and Adorama.

GPS
18-Sep-2011, 11:29
Sorry I wasn't more specific. I started using Fujichrome Velvia RVP 100 film. The earlier posts were very informative about the differences and benefits to various types of film. However since Velvia 100 seems to be a safe choice I'm going to stick with it so I have a constant variable to work with till I better hone my skills.
Unfortunately that is the film that is out of stock at both BHphoto and Adorama.

Velvia 100 is in stock at B&H. And Velvia is not the easiest film for precise exposure - in that sense Provia is much better.

henryp
19-Sep-2011, 14:40
Unfortunately, despite all our efforts to keep as wide a range of film in stock as possible. right this minute the only 120 slide film with ISO at or near 100 that's in stock are these:
Ektachrome E100G
Ektachrome E100VS

Hopefully this situation will change for the better in the near future.

GPS
26-Sep-2011, 11:25
Unfortunately, despite all our efforts to keep as wide a range of film in stock as possible. right this minute the only 120 slide film with ISO at or near 100 that's in stock are these:
Ektachrome E100G
Ektachrome E100VS

Hopefully this situation will change for the better in the near future.

As much as I love you, guys, presenting itself as "The Professional's Source" and getting into the situation when all 100 ASA Fuji slide 120 films are out of stock is a rather unprofessional situation. Hopefully soon after Rosh Hashanah the situation will become more professional... Still love you. ;)

henryp
27-Sep-2011, 07:03
As much as I love you, guys, presenting itself as "The Professional's Source" and getting into the situation when all 100 ASA Fuji slide 120 films are out of stock is a rather unprofessional situation. Hopefully soon after Rosh Hashanah the situation will become more professional... Still love you. ;)

Are you under the misapprehension this is the result of some laziness or ennui on our part? If so you are mistaken. We are eager to get and keep this in stock. We would have it today if it was available. We're "The Professional's Source" for a dozen reasons one of which is that we still inventory and stock large format films, something far too few retailer in our industry are willing to do today.

GPS
27-Sep-2011, 08:24
So what's the reason that the source got dry?

Brian C. Miller
27-Sep-2011, 08:45
GPS, you mean like besides the fact that the film market isn't what it once was, so the manufacturers aren't producing like they once did? Agfa is gone, many emulsions are gone, sizes are limited, etc., etc., and it's the retailer's fault? The market is what it is.

GPS
27-Sep-2011, 08:48
So, the reason is...?

BrianShaw
27-Sep-2011, 08:57
The market is what it is.

AMEN.

Advise to OP - when you find a source, buy quickly and buy more than you think you'll need!

Bob Salomon
27-Sep-2011, 08:59
Have you asked them?

Visit ImageWorks Hawaii, your source for Oahu film supplies, including 35mm film, 120 film, medium format film and large format film. ImageWorks also carries darkroom supplies such as fixer, toner, indicator stop bath and an assortment of developer accessories, such as tanks, spools and changing bags.

ImageWorks is at the same location and hours as Hawaii Photo Rental – Oahu.

You can visit their website at ImageWorksHawaii.com or call at 808-735-0755

GPS
27-Sep-2011, 09:14
Bob, must be one of your pathetic days. All the touted website in Hawaii shows is a primitively written PDF of their - film price list. You can ask them (thanks for the grace!) if you want to know how to do business with them (to buy film). No thanks, were it only for the much worse price than that of B&H. Now that is some professional web business site, I love to buy from!

Bob Salomon
27-Sep-2011, 10:37
Bob, must be one of your pathetic days. All the touted website in Hawaii shows is a primitively written PDF of their - film price list. You can ask them (thanks for the grace!) if you want to know how to do business with them (to buy film). No thanks, were it only for the much worse price than that of B&H. Now that is some professional web business site, I love to buy from!

Why not just call and ask them? Or, if you are in HI just visit them when you are in Honolulu. I have and they are very nice people.

GPS
27-Sep-2011, 10:49
See the reasons in n. 22 for the answer why not.

Bob Salomon
27-Sep-2011, 13:43
See the reasons in n. 22 for the answer why not.

That is no reason not to call. An excuse perhaps. But not a reason. You are comparing the resources of a billion dollar retailer to the resources of a mom and pop store. If the store has the item the OP is looking for then his problem is solved with a phone call. And the distance to the product is thousands of miles closer to the OP.

GPS
27-Sep-2011, 13:49
That is no reason not to call. An excuse perhaps. But not a reason. You are comparing the resources of a billion dollar retailer to the resources of a mom and pop store. If the store has the item the OP is looking for then his problem is solved with a phone call. And the distance to the product is thousands of miles closer to the OP.

Sorry Bob, I thought you asked me to call, not the OP (as your question came after two of mine). I have no dealing with the OP so...:)

Bob Salomon
27-Sep-2011, 14:51
No problem.

cosseboom
27-Sep-2011, 15:35
Hey everyone, had a mundane question about buying 120 film. I live in Hawaii and have just started using a 120 panoramic camera. I only get 4 to 5 shots per roll of film so I go through rolls rather quickly. Forced to buy off line due to limited/no availability on the island, Does anyone know of a good place online to buy 120 film. BHPhoto and Adorama are the only two places I have found and both seem to be out of stock all the time. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Which island are you on? By your screen name, I'm assuming you're on the Big Island. On Oahu, Imageworks in Kaimuki has a good selection of 120. Christine, the owner, can bring in bulk for you if they don't carry what you are looking for. If you are on a neighbor island, she might even be able to ship to you. Can't hurt to ask.

GPS
3-Oct-2011, 12:16
Are you under the misapprehension this is the result of some laziness or ennui on our part? If so you are mistaken. We are eager to get and keep this in stock. We would have it today if it was available. We're "The Professional's Source" for a dozen reasons one of which is that we still inventory and stock large format films, something far too few retailer in our industry are willing to do today.

Well, Rosh Hashanah is over and Fuji Provia 100 F is still missing... If I knew there is a gap in production I would stock up the film in my fridge, buying 800 rolls instead of 400. Now, I suppose the B&H would do the same (?), knowing they are The Professional's Source and cannot be dependent on irregular production. So what exactly is the reason of this long (more than a month) gap in the availability of the film, can we know it? Best regards.

henryp
4-Oct-2011, 06:27
Well, Rosh Hashanah is over ...

Rosh HaShanah has nothing to do with this.

...and Fuji Provia 100 F is still missing... If I knew there is a gap in production I would stock up the film in my fridge, buying 800 rolls instead of 400. Now, I suppose the B&H would do the same (?), knowing they are The Professional's Source and cannot be dependent on irregular production. So what exactly is the reason of this long (more than a month) gap in the availability of the film, can we know it? Best regards.

I don't mean to seem brusque but it's ludicrous to think we're just sitting here nodding away helplessly as our inventory becomes depleted and customers search far and wide for any source for what is obviously and apparently a product whose demand has outstripped supply almost everywhere.

We have plenty of 120, and most other formats, on order and would be thrilled to get a sizable delivery or even a reliable date and quantity we could reply upon.

In short, ...."the reason of this long (more than a month) gap in the availability..." is Fujifilm USA isn't shipping any to retailers. Either they're hoarding or they can't.

GPS
4-Oct-2011, 06:51
In short, ...."the reason of this long (more than a month) gap in the availability..." is Fujifilm USA isn't shipping any to retailers. Either they're hoarding or they can't.

Thank Henry, for the practical explanation given. And don't be surprised that clients are looking for one while it takes time for you to give one.

mattiaso
5-Oct-2011, 12:29
I usually buy 120 film from Amazon or Freestylephoto! Also check out my 120 film (http://www.buy120film.com/) buyer's guide on Buy120film.com (http://www.buy120film.com/)

GPS
6-Oct-2011, 01:28
A nice try, mattiaso. But Amazon states (for 120 Provia 100F) -"usually ships within 1 to 3 months" for the Pro 5pack. And the same film individually packed costs $ 9.84 - that is more than twice the price of B&H. You must be kidding.
Why are the pictures promoting individual films on your site so ugly bad? Almost as if they wanted to show that films are not adequate to take pictures with...

GPS
6-Oct-2011, 02:17
Meanwhile, 120 Fujichrome Provia 100F is available again in B&H. £3.79 per roll. Hoard while you can ;-)