PDA

View Full Version : Help Ol' Joe...

Pawlowski6132
15-Sep-2011, 05:41
So, I have two lenses for my 8x10 enlarger which I'm close to setting up for the first time:

1. Schneider Kreuznach Componon 240

2. Kodak Ektanon 250

I want to keep one so I get a 300, that I have my eye on, for variety. Rather than take the time to go through extensive testing with both, I am comfortable making a decision on which one to keep based solely on the opinions of the experienced people here.

:)

Which would you keep? And why?

As always, thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

John Kasaian
15-Sep-2011, 08:11
All things being equal, Componons rock!
Which lens is the fastest? My personal preference is to use a fast lens for composing on the easel.

Pawlowski6132
15-Sep-2011, 08:33
All things being equal, Componons rock!
Which lens is the fastest? My personal preference is to use a fast lens for composing on the easel.

The Kodak is faster. Whichever lens is left, his partner will be a Rodagon 300.

Pawlowski6132
16-Sep-2011, 08:40
Done (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=80733).

ic-racer
17-Sep-2011, 19:01
If you have a Componon 240mm why do you need another lens? You just made a hole in the ceiling and you want a lens to try it out???:)

In terms of which to keep. Well, you have the lenses....so if you are not sure send them to me and maybe I'll send one back :)

Seriously though, check your corners with each lens using the grain magnifier. Keep the one with the sharpest corners.

I have a 250mm Fujinar (probably similar to the Ektanon) and a Componon-S 240mm which is nearly identical to the Componon 240. The Componon-S is slightly better at the edges of 8x10.

I'd just keep both. You won't get much for either one. Certainly not enough to get a nice Rodagon 300. Whichever one you get rid of, some here will post next month that it is the best lens ever made...

BTW I use a Rodagon 300 for 90% of my 8x10 work, but its probably not much different than the Schneider or Nikkor 300mm lenses at the usual low magnification range of a vertical enlarger.