PDA

View Full Version : Printfile Negative Preserver problem

John Kasaian
14-Sep-2011, 20:49
A while back I started to store my 8x10 negatives in Printfile negative preservers and I'm a bit concened about scratches. I took a closer look at the pacakging the preservers come in and it said negatives need to need to be sleeved before inserting them in the preservers.
Sleeved?:o :eek:
I went to the local camera store and they had no idea how to get Printfile 8x10 sleeves, or anyone elses 8x10 sleeves. Nor do 8x10 sleeves appear in Printfile's or Freestyle's catalogs, at least that I could find.
I know there are plenty of 8x10ers here and likely many store negatives in Printfiles, so my question is where do you get 8x10 sleeves?

Daniel Stone
14-Sep-2011, 21:03
I used to use 8x10 printfile sleeves(the ones designed for film, NOT prints, or sleeved negatives(you know, those fold over plastic lab-style sleeving, which ARE NOT archival), but I've switched to using 8x10 paper "envelopes" that I buy from M+P. Usually I buy 2-300 or so at a time, basically enough for a year-->year 1/2's worth of shooting.

http://www.lodimaarchivalmaterials.com/lam/index.html

then I store them in their 8x10 negative boxes. Virtually no chance of scratching, just wear gloves, or wash your hands before handling negatives/film.

-Dan

p.s. you can buy the paper and fold them yourself, it works nicely while you're sitting and watching tv, just pull out a tv tray and fold away :)

biedron
14-Sep-2011, 21:09
Archival Methods http://www.archivalmethods.com has has several styles of 8x10 sleeves. Don't know if these would fit in the Printfile Preservers though, as the sleeves themselves are slightly larger than the film. I have used the 4x5 sleeves from Archival. The sleeves measure 4.1" x 5.1" - I don't know if the 8x10 sleeves would have the same 0.1" margin.

Bob

Oren Grad
14-Sep-2011, 21:35
I gave up on Print File preservers and just use polypropylene fold-lock sleeves for my negatives. These, and similar Mylar sleeves if you want to be fancier, are available in many different sizes from several different vendors. I've been getting mine primarily from University Products, which sells them through its own catalog and also wholesales them to retailers under the Lineco, ProLine and Archivalware brands

An example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/214727-REG/Lineco_Archivalware_PL14503_Proline_Sheet_Film_Sleeve.html

As Bob mentioned, Archival Methods is another supplier.

jp
15-Sep-2011, 06:54
I just stick them in the pages and don't sleeve them.

Frank Petronio
15-Sep-2011, 06:59
I've been using PrintFiles in all sizes for years and haven't had a problem. Do the 8x10s somehow scratch more than others? That's how my 8x10s are stored but I haven't used the film since.

Peter Mounier
15-Sep-2011, 07:27
I noticed that the mylar/polypro negative sleeves scratch the negs too, unless you use the fold lock type. But an additional problem is that the mylar type also create static electricity which attracts dust. Now I use the glassine envelopes and have much less static electricity and associated dust.

Peter

jnantz
15-Sep-2011, 07:36
john

have you called print file and asked them ?
i stopped using print file for bigger than mf film
a long time ago ...

you might also think about gaylord brothers
for your archival storage. i get everything i use from them ...
i figure if archives and libraries are serious about this sort of thing
and they buy from gaylord bros ...

John Kasaian
15-Sep-2011, 07:51
john

have you called print file and asked them ?
i stopped using print file for bigger than mf film
a long time ago ...

you might also think about gaylord brothers
for your archival storage. i get everything i use from them ...
i figure if archives and libraries are serious about this sort of thing
and they buy from gaylord bros ...

Thanks john, I'll give Gaylord a try:) Meanwhile I've reverted back to glassines for now .I have an additional unopened package of Printfiles (extras from an order the local Fire Department placed:confused: ) that I'd like to use. Being able to stick 'em in a binder is really cool.

Vaughn
15-Sep-2011, 11:05
I use the four-fold envelopes from the same material from Conservation Resources:

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_5/section5_05.htm

and skip any plastic altogether -- stored in boxes from the same place. Not cheap, but I can double/or triple up the negatives in a single envelope (negs separated by the same type of paper within the envelope). I do this usually with back-up negs or negs with taken in the same area and are somehow related. Saves money and space.

I use them for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. They don't make them for 11x14, so I will have to figure out something for them. The simpler ones from Lodmia might be the easiest way for me to go...or make my own 11x14 four-flap envelopes out of 50"x32" sheets of the same material for about the same cost as the Lodmia flapless envelopes.

Conservation Resources' four-flap envelopes are die-cut and the flaps are nicely tapered to fold together easily -- so any that I make would not be quite as nice.

Vaughn

ic-racer
15-Sep-2011, 15:27
They have some extra size to accept a negative in a sleeve, but it appears that the 8x10 preservers I have are made of the same material as all the other sizes.

I have never noticed a scratch from these pages in any size in over 30 years, but none of my enlargers are condenser enlargers. Are you seeing scratches come through in the prints even with your Elwood's diffuse light?

johnielvis
15-Sep-2011, 19:12
I uses the savage glassine envelopes---and they actually look like they can fit IN the printfiles...maybe that's what they were talking about.....

savage glasssines are best for me--put em in the envelope---put em in the box....nice and safe.