PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Hobson 1760mm Lens

Modell66
13-Sep-2011, 12:52
Hello
I've got this lens for a great price and now I'm wondering if someone has used this lens as taking lens? It's a Vb Process lens

I also haven't found any information on the web, so if you've got any information left, I'd also like to know that.

Kind regards
Jannik

Vaughn
13-Sep-2011, 13:04
Nothing I have has enough bellows for such a lens! (almost 70" at infinity!)

It would be fun, though!

Vaughn

Steve Hamley
13-Sep-2011, 13:07
Can you post an image and/or all the writing on the lens?

It would certainly be rare since 1760mm is over 60", and Cooke did not mark them in mm right?

Cheers, Steve

Jay DeFehr
13-Sep-2011, 13:11
Jannik,

What do you intend to do with it?

redu
13-Sep-2011, 14:05
what is the max aperture of this lens..? Can it be an f4 (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0610/06100101zeiss1700f4.asp)..?

Modell66
13-Sep-2011, 14:42
Taylor Hobson 63 Inch Series V.B. COOKE-Process Anastigmat
No 179355

I'm looking to do maybe some portraits, if I find some bellow and later for a large ULF camera which since has been a quite long time in my head.

so have somebody ever used a Taylor Hobson Process V B lens as taking?

I'll upload some photos later

Hermes07
13-Sep-2011, 15:26
63 Inch focal length would make it a 1600mm no?

Based on the other process lenses out there in this sort of focal length, the max aperture should be somewhere from f/14 to f/18.

With lenses of this size and focal length, you're looking at a custom ULF camera setup to even have a chance of using it as a taking lens. Consider that a basic close portrait on a 16x20 camera for example, would need roughly 3.2 metres of bellows and would leave you with an effective maximum aperture somewhere in the f/64 range.

My camera can do the above because it's been built from scratch to handle huge lenses and negatives but I don't know of any commercially made ULF cameras that will. The camera will certainly cost you thousands if it does exist.

If you're serious about using it for portraits then there are ways, but keep in mind that they take a LOT of time, money and dedication.

Hermes07
13-Sep-2011, 15:39
The Vb series were made to f/16 at the largest sizes according to the vade mecum but there is no 63 inch version mentioned.

Vaughn
13-Sep-2011, 16:07
At this focal length, and let's say an 8x10 camera, I suppose one could get a large diameter black plastic pipe (10"?), glue tripod mount(s) to it and hang the lens off of one end and an 8x10 camera on the other. Might be a fun little project! It might be easier to move around than an old process camera with 60"+ bellows.

Jay DeFehr
13-Sep-2011, 17:02
I agree with Vaughn; a camera is a lens, a film holder, and space in between- there's no reason it must be expensive, unless it must also be lightweight, portable, versatile, etc. Think of this camera as a support for the lens, one for the back, and something to keep the light out in-between (I like the mylar made for grow rooms, etc.). I'd say the real challenge is likely to be getting enough light on the subject for a reasonably short exposure.

Hermes07
13-Sep-2011, 17:22
Trying to work with an improvised camera of this size is really not easy. As a short-term novelty its certainly possible but it is so lacking in fine control and subject to so many limitations that I can't see it as being a real solution. Crudely trying to hook the lens up to an 8x10 doesn't seem worthwhile to me when you could sell the lens and get something like a dallmeyer 40 inch tele with the proceeds that will be much more suitable for the format.

Jay DeFehr
13-Sep-2011, 17:50
...it is so lacking in fine control and subject to so many limitations that I can't see it as being a real solution

I suppose that depends on what you consider the problem to be. If the problem is how to make ULF portraits with this lens, an improvised camera might be the best solution. If the problem is, how to make ULF portraits, more generally, then I agree this might not be the most practical solution.

Jim Andrada
13-Sep-2011, 21:58
I think I once saw the kind of camera that could have used a lens like this - it had a bellows on a track in a room with copyholder and lights and the bellows mounted to a wall on the other side of which was another room where the focus, exposure, film handling etc could be done in darkness. I think the camera had a vacuum back. So you could imitate this setup by using two adjoining rooms - it would be sort of like getting an x-ray at the dentist.

Modell66
14-Sep-2011, 00:01
The Seller has already used it. So I just have to get a really long Plaubel 8x10 camera. I've already 2 meteres bellows and rails so I hope that I can use it soon.
What would you pay for this unique lens? If the price would be good I'll sell it :)

Hermes07
14-Sep-2011, 00:29
Hehe, I dont know enough about it to be honest. Is it f16? Is it coated? Have you got the mounting flange? Is the glass in good condition?

If someone knows what type of design it is I might be able to guess at the coverage. At this point I'm only interested in lenses that will cover 64 x 80 at 1:1. If it did, I'd probably pay the price of a good condition dallmeyer 1000mm tele.

Hermes07
14-Sep-2011, 00:50
Come to think of it, at 1600mm rather than 1760mm there's not a huge focal difference between this lens and my 48 inch tessars which are as much as 2 stops faster so it might not be worth it to me.

Armin Seeholzer
14-Sep-2011, 02:41
This would be a good lens for moon pics with 4x5 inch;--)))
For Portraits its much to long in my opinion you would need a very large studio or you need a very big ULF camera.

MFG Armin

Miguel Coquis
18-Sep-2011, 02:39
The Seller has already used it. So I just have to get a really long Plaubel 8x10 camera. I've already 2 meteres bellows and rails so I hope that I can use it soon.
What would you pay for this unique lens? If the price would be good I'll sell it :)

Wonder if this experiment is progressing....
If possible, I would like a few pictures from the lens, I have two plaubel and a photographv stand (30x30 cm GG), aligned all three together, they make 3 meters bellows extension... ;)