PDA

View Full Version : Technikardan 45 and 5-6 lenses...case suggestions?

Ari
12-Sep-2011, 18:49
Hi,
I have a Technikardan coming my way soon, and I need to find a case for it and my lenses, a few Grafmatics and small accessories.

I usually work in the urban outdoors, it involves a lot of walking about.
I have a light and compact hand cart that can hold up to 100lbs.

I'm not looking for backpacker-type cases.
I prefer hard cases over soft ones, but I'll consider almost anything.

Would you share some suggestions for a case, especially if you are a present/former owner of a TK?

Thanks in advance.

jeroldharter
12-Sep-2011, 18:57
F64 4x5 case (the big, rigid, rectangular box style) plus a jogging stroller. A hand cart is a lot more work and places your gear down near the dust.

Daniel Stone
12-Sep-2011, 20:37
seahorse cases are nice. Not sure about distributorship in CA though....

http://www.seahorse.net/Products/hurricane/SE920/SE920.aspx

Then there's always Pelican. A friend of mine has a Master Tech w/ 5 or 6 lenses, and uses this model here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330231-REG/Pelican_1510_000_110_1510_Carry_On_Case.html

He has the divider version, its about another $30 or so on top of the B&H price for that option.

-Dan

Frank Petronio
12-Sep-2011, 21:17
Hmm... are you going to plop cases down into the snow or try to keep stuff on your shoulder?

Are you carrying your camera on the tripod between set-ups or repacking every time?

Any chance of trying to use this as an airline carry-on?

I love Lightware, Pelicans, Anvils... but if you're wandering around town with a camera over your shoulder, putting in and out of cars, etc. maybe you need to rethink it?

What if you invested in the most secure, bombproof, Loc-tited tripod mount and a tripod with very easy to open and close legs? Like a video crew might operate.... and openly carry your camera and legs as much as possible? Perhaps even create a padded cover for the camera that could go over it like a neoprene hat or something? Make a foam cradle for it in the backseat or trunk of your car....

Then just carry the lenses, holders, etc. in a simple heavy waterproof Tote bag. Sort of a catch all, where your most used items are on top, and every item is nestled into a protective case or wrap?

Throw it all into an airline checkable Tenba or Lightware case for the big trips.

I could also see a customized Baby Jogger. Heck put some Carbon Fiber and Titanium on it and give it a cool name and sell it for $5K to the dudes!

Richard Wasserman
12-Sep-2011, 23:57
I have a similar kit and use a Porter Case. http://portercase.com/main/index.php

Versatile interior with nice big wheels. I have an older model and the new ones look even nicer.

jeroldharter
13-Sep-2011, 04:55
Frank gives some excellent advice as usual.

I have two of the Pelican 1510's, one for 4x5 and one for 8x10. They work well as carry ons but must be checked at the gate on small commuter planes but do fit overhead on small jets. The rollers are great but be aware that Pelican cases seem to be lined in lead because they always weigh much more than I anticipate. I have put them through checked baggage with no problems but if you get a wheeled version with padded dividers be aware that there is almost no padding at the wheel wells on the corners so pack adaptively.

In a pelican 1510 I can fit a 4 x5 Arca, extra bag bellows, focusing cloth, 75, 90, 120, 150, 210, and 300 mm lens, light meter, filter wallet, etc. Likewise it hold my 8x10 with focusing cloth, reducing back, filter wallet, meter, 210, 305, 450, and 600 mm lenses. I guess that might be why they weigh so much. Although the rollers are nice, they are no fun pulling around town all day, and certainly not in mud, slush or similar conditions.

I you are like me, you will end up with multiple options: Photbackpacker bags for carrying on your back, Pelican cases for travel, hard sided f64 box for working out of a car around town, and a baby jogger to move it all around. A baby jogger could be designed wider, flatter, deeper - more like a 3 wheeled wheelchair, but it works fine. Would be better if it had a seat for me too.

Frank Petronio
13-Sep-2011, 05:15
I used to use a Peli 1510 as a carry-on for a Linhof Tech kit and one day the plastic shattered. Probably because I stood on the case, dumb.... But the carry-on had to be 50 lbs and the wheels eat up a lot of room. I think the Thinktank backpacks are best for actual carry-on use now.

Checking? There is still that 50lb limit to avoid surcharges... so if you can only check less delicate and expensive things in a Lightware case I think that is the best bet. Mixing gear with clothes gives you free padding.

Those big Tenba or Lightware view camera cases are great but surcharge!

The real problem is working out of these cases on location. Even if you aren't in the mud and snow, a factory floor can be very nasty.... I think a lot of the time a shoulder bag or simple Milk Crate Box that is easy to carry short distances and throwing the camera over your shoulder and keeping it on the tripod is the cleanest, safest solution. Being able to move fast is also safer in many ways, as the drops and accidents tend to happen when you are breaking down and setting up over and over....

In a lot of ways the backpackers here have it easier out in the woods. Throw a groundsheet down and spread out with nobody but Bambi or avalanches to bother you. Not the same around people and urban environments....

mortensen
13-Sep-2011, 05:20
How about an older, rugged bike with a heavy front luggage rack? Something like a classic short john or even a long john. Buy a peli-case, strap it up in front of you where you can always have an eye on it and you are ready to go. Not only will you move a lot faster and easier than pulling a cart, you will also be much more mobile, since a rugged bycycle will go on gravel and dirt roads - all the places where you don't want to pull a cart or baby jogger around. (honestly I've NEVER understood why anyone would use a baby jogger for carrying a camera - its hilarious)

I use my bike all the time if I'm shooting home. I carry my TK with three lenses in a Lowe Flipside300 backpack and leave the tripod over the handle - works great and I can be anywhere in the city within 30mins.

mortensen
13-Sep-2011, 06:09
c'mon Frank, I can take it :)

Frank Petronio
13-Sep-2011, 06:21
No it was just about the propensity of Danes to do the right thing and use bicycles versus Ari's need to survive, alive, amongst snow, slush, and the most dangerous, insane French-Canadian drivers.... Imagine Italian drivers sliding sideways at full speed without brakes, in SUVs and pick-up trucks.

mortensen
13-Sep-2011, 07:22
hahaha - the ultimate traffic drama! If you can pull a cart somewhere, you can ride a bike, too. Just ride on the sidewalk, you have so few pedestrians in your part of the world anyway.
... I hear you are getting bike lanes all over the place in NY right know, jeah?

Noah A
13-Sep-2011, 08:13
I have a Pelican 1510. I got it for the wheels, but I came to the conclusion that they're useless for anything other than a smooth airport floor. I love working out of a hard case, especially if I have a heavy load and a lot of lenses to choose from. In a pinch I can also stand on it for a higher angle or sit on it for a lower angle.

Unlike soft cases, the wheels don't take up interior space in the case, so it may make sense even if you do plan to use it with a cart. For interior jobs you could leave the cart in the car and use the wheels. I also like that, if forced to check the case (or gate check), I know the gear is well protected.

Rolling the Peli on pavement, even smooth pavement, kind of rattles the heck out of the gear and it seems like a bad idea. The wheels are too small and too hard. I know you have a cart but if anyone else needs a suggestion--I had an old ruxxac cart a while back. It had huge rubber wheels and folded flat. It was the best cart I ever used until it got ripped off. I'll probably look for another one for transporting the heavy kit over pavement or rougher terrain.

The TK fits pretty well in the 1510, though if wheels and carry-on ability aren't important, then I might consider the next size up, whatever that is. I'm out of town now but I could snap a photo of my TK in the 1510 when I get home next week if it would be helpful.

For actually traveling around a city, I'm starting to see the benefits of a backpack.

Bill_1856
13-Sep-2011, 08:42
It's not clear if you want a case that you can carry into the field with your stuff, or something to hold your stuff which you will carry on the cart. It makes a world of difference.

jeroldharter
13-Sep-2011, 09:05
I admit that the jogging stroller draws some looks but it is excellent. You can let it rest without any effort. I can't imagine putting 50 plus pounds of gear plus a tripod over the front wheel of a bicycle and then buzzing around in urban traffic. That seems unsafe for all but the most heroic bicyclists. Besides, that must be a hell of a kickstand. Seriously, what do you do with your gear when the bike is at rest.

Also, a jogging stroller can be checked for free and does not count against checked baggage. The only downside for me is that it does not fit easily in standard rental cars without removing the front wheel. Not a huge deal but I am lazy.

Ari
13-Sep-2011, 09:28
Hi,
Thanks for all the answers and suggestions.
For years, I've been using something like this:
http://i53.tinypic.com/k54kzl.jpg

It's the best piece of photo gear I've ever purchased. I used it to haul around my Toyo 810G and 45G with tripod all over the city, and it's very, very tough.
I like hard cases, but the ones with built-in wheels seem like the wheels were made only for very smooth surfaces; Noah's post, and other posts I've read, seem to corroborate this.
I don't have the dimensions of a folded TK, but if Noah uses a Pelican 1510, it will fit in there.
I usually work by hauling the case around on the cart, and working out of the case, where lenses, film backs, and bellows are easily at hand.
Yes, I will be using it as carry-on, and no, it doesn't have to have wheels; the cart takes care of that.
I appreciate the baby stroller suggestions, but it ain't me. :)
My car gets used for everything, including transport of baby and wife, so a dedicated system, like Frank was suggesting, would be too difficult, I'm afraid.
I don't know what the final weight of the camera and lenses will be, but it will certainly be a lot lighter and less bulky than the Toyo 45G it replaces.
Seahorse cases are nice, but too similar to Pelicans, thanks Daniel.
I like the Porter cases that Richard suggested, and I'd have a closer look at some non-wheeled options.
Basically, almost any hard case will do, as long as the stuff inside is snug enough so that it won't bump around when I climb stairs or move along bumpy sidewalks.
And, yes, watch out for those French-Canadian drivers, they be loco. :)

Frank Petronio
13-Sep-2011, 09:42
I use one of those Kart-A-Bags too, although I leave it home now that they count it as a checked piece of luggage. For the cost of the luggage fees you can buy a new one on location in the airport nowadays!

If you want a hard case that can also be an airline carry-on... then the lightest, toughest one is going to be an Aluminum shelled Halliburton type.

The Pelicans are pretty darn heavy....

And the Lightware type attache may be the lightest and best to work out of, except for the wet bottom situation.

Ari
13-Sep-2011, 10:09
Thanks, Frank.
I almost forgot about Lightware; they are excellent cases, but yes, they are prone to the soggy bottom syndrome.
Off to do some searching.
Thanks to all!

Ari
13-Sep-2011, 10:24
I just wanted to add that right now, I fit a Wista RF, bag bellows, five lenses, two Grafmatics, meter and bubble level in a Lowepro Magnum Medium Format soft case.
It isn't the easiest out of which to work, everything seems to be piled on top of everything, but it does the job in a pinch.
I'd really like to exploit the TK's small folded size and portability, so a huge case will be unnecessary.
Thanks again.

jeroldharter
13-Sep-2011, 10:27
You might look at Rimowa cases as a pricy, high quality option for a hard case.

Ari
13-Sep-2011, 10:36
Thanks, Jerold, but out of my price range.

Bill_1856
13-Sep-2011, 18:34
Linhof made at least two large briefcases (one hard leather, one aluminum) for the Technika which appear often on ebay. The TK isn't much larger than a Technika, and could probably be easily fitted. They hold the camera, 4 lenses on boards in fitted slots, and several compartments for film holders, filters, meter, etc.

Ari
13-Sep-2011, 18:41
Thanks, Bill, I'll keep an eye out for those; always nice to have a custom-made case, especially if it's the affordable kind.

Bill_1856
14-Sep-2011, 07:43
Linhof Technika in fitted case

Ari
14-Sep-2011, 09:23
Linhof Technika in fitted case

Sweet!

Noah A
15-Sep-2011, 10:05
Plastic cases are heavy, but if you have a cart it's not as much of an issue.

The linhof cases look nice. The plastic ones are really though. They're waterproof and you can stand on them.

Ari
15-Sep-2011, 10:10
Plastic cases are heavy, but if you have a cart it's not as much of an issue.

The linhof cases look nice. The plastic ones are really though. They're waterproof and you can stand on them.

The cart helps carry the tripod as well; I looked at the Pelican 1520 (no wheels) and I think it would fit.
Like you say, though, Noah, they're heavy; so I'm looking at lighter alternatives.
From the website, the folded dimensions of the TK are, in inches, 5 x 8.5 x 10.
Noah, do have a photo of your TK in the 1510 that you could post?
I would like to see it, if possible.
Thanks

Noah A
15-Sep-2011, 12:36
The cart helps carry the tripod as well; I looked at the Pelican 1520 (no wheels) and I think it would fit.
Like you say, though, Noah, they're heavy; so I'm looking at lighter alternatives.
From the website, the folded dimensions of the TK are, in inches, 5 x 8.5 x 10.
Noah, do have a photo of your TK in the 1510 that you could post?
I would like to see it, if possible.
Thanks

My point was sort of that they're heavy, but it may be worth it in terms of durability. Being able to stand on the case can be great for a higher angle if your tripod goes high enough.

I'm out of town right now but I'd be happy to post a pic once I get home early next week.

Ari
15-Sep-2011, 14:39
I'm out of town right now but I'd be happy to post a pic once I get home early next week.

That would be great, thank you.

Noah A
20-Sep-2011, 06:26
Here you go. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic but it should show you what you need to know. The TK here is shown vertically in the case, it fits like a glove.

With a QR plate, it won't fit vertically, so you'd need to turn it sideways. This is what I used to do. Sideways, it takes up a couple of inches more (Since the camera is about 8x10in. and that's why the camera section seems a bit large in my pic. Now that I'm storing the camera vertically I could move the dividers over (to the left) to make more space for lenses and accessories.

This brings up another point. The long dividers in my pic are modified. The case comes with one divider meant to span the long direction of the case, and a ton of short ones such as the ones in between my lenses. My wife, who is handy with a needle and thread, modified the long divider and another I had sitting around to span the short length of the case. It's a minor inconvenience, but it would be nice if Pelican included these medium-length dividers, or at least sold them separately. Perhaps they'd make you some if you contacted them.

I store the two bellows in a domke lens wrap on top of the camera, they're not shown since they would block the view of the camera.

The lenses shown are 150 Apo Sironar S (on camera), 210 Apo Sironar S, 135 Apo Sironar S and 115 Grandagon. Basically each vertical row in the case can hold two large lenses (115, 90/4.5 Grandagon) or 3-4 small/medium lenses.

The other row contains five holders and a loupe and meter. It would fit a few more, especially if I moved the camera over a bit to make more room.

Also, Pelican makes a lid organizer that you may be able to use to store more holders and/or accessories. I think this one seems nicer though and I may get one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/559205-REG/Porta_Brace_PB_2550LSO_PB_2550LSO_Laptop_Sleeve.html

It's padded and could probably hold a bunch of extra holders, which could free up more space for other accessories or more lenses.

Hope this helps. It's a really nice case. If the wheels were an inch or two larger (and perhaps a bit softer) it would be perfect.

Ari
20-Sep-2011, 08:35
Noah, thank you!

Ari
3-Oct-2011, 15:07
OP here...
I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, especially Noah, who helped a lot, and steered me toward the Pelican 1510.
I needed something to carry the gear and small enough as an airline carry-on; I also really like to work out of a hard case.
Those were my criteria.
The case arrived today, and at first I thought that I'd be lucky to get the camera and an extra lens in there; it looks like a pretty small case, and the supplied dividers are not what I need at all.
There's one long divider and about ten small dividers; they look nice, but they're hopelessly wrong for my needs.
But after a lot of Tetris-like positioning, and the use of some corrugated vinyl (red is all I had on hand), I managed to get everything in there.
What you see is the TK with QR plate, five mounted lenses and four Grafmatics (=24 sheets of film); I cut the vinyl dividers just low enough so when everything is in the case, I can add two more Grafmatics and a light meter on top.
The vinyl hasn't been velcroed into place, that'll happen tomorrow; but everything holds tight when the case is closed and vertical.
On top of the camera goes the wide-angle bellows and dark cloth.
I haven't yet thought about where to put the regular bellows because I'm mostly a wide-angle user, but there is a 210 and 250 in there; I'll have to figure it out soon.

Anyway, thanks again, and I heartily recommend this case.

http://i53.tinypic.com/ra58hs.jpg

Daniel Stone
3-Oct-2011, 16:52
if you or someone you know can sew, get some of that felt-backed foam, and sew it around the dividers cloth side out. Have some sticky-backed velcro attached(to keep the dividers in their desired places, and you're set! That way, there's some padding, especially around your lenses. I have a couple of Lightware cases that I made custom dividers for to match my needs. I called a few local dry cleaners(you know, most do custom sewing on a hourly or per-piece basis, just bring in a drawing/illustration to guide them, along with your material, etc...) and they were a little too expensive for me at the time. So I made them myself. Probably didn't look as "pretty" as if they had made them, but they're functional. Thats priority #1. I too like hard cases, as they're flight-ready(if I ever needed to fly), and in a pinch, can be strapped to the roof of a car and drive through a pounding rainstorm...

-Dan

Ari
3-Oct-2011, 18:34
That's the plan, Dan, but I'm ready to scrap that idea if it ends up taking too much space.
The vinyl is pretty strong and there's very little wiggle room, but I will try and make padded dividers.
Thanks

jdimichele
4-Oct-2011, 09:31
Hey Ari,

I'm using the Lowepro Super Trekker. I'm carrying a 4x5 Cambo monorail in it but it's great for that extra space! I do carry it decent distances on dayhikes and would recommend this bag for that purpose. I have Pelican cases for other cameras and find them useless to carry for any distance.

Cheers,
Jay

Ari
4-Oct-2011, 09:45
Hi Jay,
I looked the Super Trekker, but its configuration didn't suit me.
If I had some spare cash, I'd also get the Tenba Roadie II; it will fit all my cameras and lenses and still be carry-on legal.
As for the Pelican, I don't plan to use the wheels except at the airport or anywhere indoors; for getting around town, I have an excellent folding handcart.

Ari
7-Oct-2011, 10:09
My final coda to this thread.
I add this because I'm so proud of my wife, who is a beginner at sewing, and who did an amazing job with the dividers.
As you can see in the previous photo, I had red corrugated vinyl; she sewed black felt and velcro to each divider, and the result is fantastic.
Everything fits perfectly and tightly; I would not be worried about the case getting a good bump or being dropped, since the contents are arranged so well and have sufficient padding.
We also had a lot of fun doing this. :)

http://i55.tinypic.com/2woykoj.jpg

Noah A
7-Oct-2011, 11:36
That looks really nice. You're right that the stock dividers are useless if you're not carrying a 35mm or MF kit. (It comes with one or dividers that span the long dimension of the case and none to span the short dimension.)

I cut down the long one and used an old one I had laying around. But your setup looks nicer...

EDIT: I forgot to ask, did you get a lid organizer?

Ari
7-Oct-2011, 14:05
Noah,
I got the lid organizer, yes;
I bought it for now, rather than buy the more expensive padded lid organizer, after I saw that I could fit everything in the main compartment.

mortensen
7-Oct-2011, 14:57
oh... cool case, Ari.
Now, when I have both you and Noah on the line here, I'll dare to ask a few off-topic questions about the TK:
Are the locking mechanisms for shift and rise on your cameras also a lot tighter than the levers for swing and focus? Just curious, since there's a big difference on my camera... and, well, if a CLA would make it all silkysmooth, then I'd be up for it.
And Ari, is it good with the grafmatics for the TK? Until I saw your first picture of the case, I didn't know either what grafmatics were or that they could be used with a TK. But now, surprise, I'm really interested in getting af few of those.

Ari
7-Oct-2011, 17:50
oh... cool case, Ari.
Now, when I have both you and Noah on the line here, I'll dare to ask a few off-topic questions about the TK:
Are the locking mechanisms for shift and rise on your cameras also a lot tighter than the levers for swing and focus? Just curious, since there's a big difference on my camera... and, well, if a CLA would make it all silkysmooth, then I'd be up for it.
And Ari, is it good with the grafmatics for the TK? Until I saw your first picture of the case, I didn't know either what grafmatics were or that they could be used with a TK. But now, surprise, I'm really interested in getting af few of those.

Lars,
Thanks!
Yes, my rise mechanism is much tighter to undo than the tilt mechanism, on both standards.
I'd love to send it for CLA, but I'm not sure it would make a difference for the amount of money it's likely to cost.
My film looks very good, so the camera must be doing something right.
And yes, Grafmatics are the way to go to save on space; they are also quite good for film flatness. If you buy any, make sure the septa (septums) are all straight and that the mechanism cycles all six septa properly.
It doesn't matter if one looks like shit, as long as it works well.
Also, I found that the Grafmatics slip under the GG easily enough, but removing them requires a little prying and give-and-go so as not to jar the camera or change its position by using too much force.

Noah A
7-Oct-2011, 19:05
Lars,

Yes, I've had the same experience as you and Ari. The rise and shift locks are much firmer than the swing and focus locks. In fact, on my camera the swing locks are fairly light and I was worried that they were out of spec. I sent it to Marflex (the authorized Linhof shop in the US) for a CLA and they said it was fine and it didn't need one.

I still wish the swing and focus locks were a bit tighter, but apparently they're inline with the factory specs.