PDA

View Full Version : Color Print Film

Dave Schneidr
17-Mar-2002, 01:05
I would like your help pointing me in the right direction on film choice. I have not shot any color print film for years doing nearly all black and white and oc casionally color transparencies. I need a recommendation for a color print film in 120 size. Light source will be studio strobes (Speedotron) and subjects will be still lifes and some portraits. Could someone give me a nudge in the right di rection please? If there would be a different recommendation for still life vs p ortraits please elaborate. Thanks.

David Grandy
17-Mar-2002, 10:34
Any of the Kodak Portra's would be fine as are all the pro films from Fuji and Agfa. The differences between the enhanced colour and normal colour versions of the Portra's isn't very great but you might want to check for yourself. All of the new pro films have that forth emulsion so they handle mixed lighting much better than the older colour film and certainly better than transparency film.

I use the Agfa colour films (Optima II 400) for weddings but they are likely to be less readily available than the Kodak's or Fuji's. You can see some Afga results on my web site: www.grandyphoto.com

My opinion is the person printing the film has a greater effect on the final print than the qualities of the film itself, so you might want to make sure that the lab you use has some familiarity with the film you chose. At the lab I use I've heard the desk people complain at different times about ALL of the major films. "The lab just has trouble with (fill in name here) film." as I get that particular film returned. It's basicly CYA from them and I point out that if they sell it they should be able to print it.

In any event the new films are all good so try a few to see what you like.

Paul Coppin
23-Mar-2002, 23:15
I've been shooting mostly Kodak Portra of late, 160 and 400, NC and VC. I find the NC ("natural color") to be a bit subdued for my taste, but it does make for nice portraits and atmospherics when properly lit. I prefer the VC ("Vivid Color") for outdoor scenics and studio still life. Its not as saturated as Velvia or Provia 100F, but has a bit more snap to it than the NC- something like the old Kodak Elite in 35mm if you ever used that. Some shooters derate the 160 to 100 or thereabouts. If you have interchangeable backs and shoot both speeds remember to change the meter ISO when you switch- I never seem to be able to (: