PDA

View Full Version : 617 + XL 90 + Lee filters

Grumium
11-Sep-2011, 13:26
Hi all

This is my first post after a long period of following the forum in read-only mode (which has been helpful in many respects) ;-)

I am considering the purchase of a Linhof 617 S III and Super-Angulon XL 90 at the moment. As this combination is quite expensive right from the start, I would like to know in advance if my preferred filter system will work without shading the far corners. I use the Lee filter holder for 100 x 150 mm resin filters and would like to stack two filters in front of the center-filter. Does anybody know by experience if this might work without having adverse effects on the corners?

Thank you very much for your valued input in advance.

I am also wondering if I should also go for the GG as this will make positioning of the grads much easier. Shift option looks interesting as well ... $$$ :-)

Regards

Bob Salomon
11-Sep-2011, 14:54
You can add the gg at any time. You don't have to decide that at the time of purchase. The Shift Adapter is another thing. That you want to decide on before you bul the camera as the lenses for the Shift Adapter (72, 90 and 110mm) have to be in different mounts then the same lenses that are not for the Shift Adapter. To convert the lenses at a later date is very expensive.
The 180 and the 250mm will not fit the Shift Adapter so they mount directly to the 617 S III the same way that lenses not in the Shift Adapter mount would mount.

There should be no problem with one or two filters that size with the center filter. But you might also want to consider adding the protector cage for the 90mm to protect the lens and shutter from inadvertant impact damage. It accepts 105mm filters directly.

Bob Salomon
12-Sep-2011, 06:23
You can add the gg at any time. You don't have to decide that at the time of purchase. The Shift Adapter is another thing. That you want to decide on before you bul the camera as the lenses for the Shift Adapter (72, 90 and 110mm) have to be in different mounts then the same lenses that are not for the Shift Adapter. To convert the lenses at a later date is very expensive.
The 180 and the 250mm will not fit the Shift Adapter so they mount directly to the 617 S III the same way that lenses not in the Shift Adapter mount would mount.

There should be no problem with one or two filters that size with the center filter. But you might also want to consider adding the protector cage for the 90mm to protect the lens and shutter from inadvertant impact damage. It accepts 105mm filters directly.

To make things a bit clearer. The lens protection ring lets you use filters up to 105mm. It does not accept filters directly.

Grumium
12-Sep-2011, 06:27
Thank you for your reply and advice. I will opt for the protector cage as well.

Are you absolutely sure about the filters? Lee just told me that it will only work without the center filter, which wouldn't be the best idea for shooting slide film.

Bob Salomon
12-Sep-2011, 06:44
Thank you for your reply and advice. I will opt for the protector cage as well.

Are you absolutely sure about the filters? Lee just told me that it will only work without the center filter, which wouldn't be the best idea for shooting slide film.

As I don't use Lee filters I would defer to them. We do use Heliopan and their screw-in filters work on the center filters as did their long discontinued glass rectangular graduated ND filters.

Lachlan 717
12-Sep-2011, 22:36
Why don't you get a Gaesori/DaYi/Fotoman 617 and a "regular" Schneider 90mm and save thousands of dollars?

Grumium
13-Sep-2011, 11:13
Because I've got a quote for a 2nd hand 617 + 90 in decent condition. I would then buy the rest new from Linhof.

Grumium
22-Sep-2011, 12:25
Is there anybody out there who uses the Linhof Shift Adapter and can justify spending more than 2500 Euro for this update? I am wondering if the limited shift range of just 14 mm per direction makes such a big difference in real world application.