PDA

View Full Version : Repairing cracked darkslides

john wilton
10-Sep-2011, 11:49
I've tried repairing a few by smearing a little black epoxy, then removing as much excess as possible. Works, but a bit meesy, unsightly and the slide is a tiny but thicker at that point. Other than prevention, is there a better way?

E. von Hoegh
10-Sep-2011, 11:58
I haven't found one. I use the older wood and metal Folmer & Schwing holders for 8x10, and I've had to buy an otherwise scrap holder to replace one cracked slide.

McMaster Carr sells this; http://www.mcmaster.com/#garolite/=e0641w

which can be used to make a new darkslide.

GPS
10-Sep-2011, 12:04
I have found a plastic presentation folder (black) that serves wonderfully as a material for a dark slide. Costs next to nothing.

Ronan87
10-Sep-2011, 12:14
I have found a plastic presentation folder (black) that serves wonderfully as a material for a dark slide. Costs next to nothing.

That.

Jay DeFehr
10-Sep-2011, 13:30
I'm building some holders from ABS sheet, and my only concern is static discharge. I haven't seen any yet, but I'm in Seattle, which is rather humid. Stainless steel makes a nice, durable darkslide, but it's heavy in large holders, and not easy to cut.

Kirk Gittings
10-Sep-2011, 13:41
I've had good luck spraying the slide with mat black paint. Make sure the crack is flat. Clean it first with fine steel wool (this gets rid of rough edges on high spots of crack) then wipe down with alcohol. Spray it the both sides with mat black paint and then wipe it clean. This just leaves the paint filling the cracks. I've use some repaired like this for years with no problems.

erie patsellis
10-Sep-2011, 13:47
Silver mylar slide masking tape works well also. I have several well used holders that have this applied and definitely do not leak.