PDA

View Full Version : removing elements and cleaning glass

jnantz
10-Sep-2011, 05:40
i have a few "older" lenses that i would like to clean the glass.
can anyone recommend a mild solution to wash the glass ?

thanks in advance

john

Jim Noel
10-Sep-2011, 07:30
I never use a liquid because of the danger of it getting between the elements.
Activated charcoal powder and a Q-tip. DIp in charcoal, knock off excess and clean in concentric circles.

goamules
10-Sep-2011, 07:59
Always use a liquid to prevent scratching. The idea is to use a solvent to float off the grit, which could include silica which will scratch if it is merely rubbed off. I use a mix of hydrogen peroxide and alcohol. I only put a drop on the faces though. Then gently lay a piece of optical tissue in the drop, and slowly pull the wet bead around in circles from inside to out. Do this several times with fresh liquid and sheets.

I've also used liquid dish detergent in a plastic tub of water for very dirty lenses. I don't think mild soap will hurt the balsam or cement. Again, you want to get the grit to release with a solvent, and come off very gently, not get wiped off.

Another option if you have it is to use collodion and cheesecloth, let it dry, then pull all the dirt off in one shot. Advanced technique that works very well....

cdholden
10-Sep-2011, 08:05
If the glass is out of it's mount, Dawn dish soap or Dial Antibacterial Hand Soap. Both are mild and both do well at cutting grease or oil that may have accumulated around the edges. Wipe clean with Q-tips. Cotton balls tend to leave too many strands behind.
If the glass is still in it's mount, ROR (www.ror.net) works well.

Richard Rankin
10-Sep-2011, 09:07
Dr Bronner's liquid soap (your choice of flavors...) and some water, soaked overnight or longer.

jnantz
10-Sep-2011, 09:54
thank you for your suggestions !

the collodion might be fun, and i can use it as a "filter" afterwards :)

john

cdholden
10-Sep-2011, 10:11
Dr Bronner's liquid soap (your choice of flavors...) and some water, soaked overnight or longer.

Indeed. Doc Bronners is good for everything except one particular use. Don't try to use it as toothpaste as some may suggest.
Ask me how I know! Yuck.

jnantz
10-Sep-2011, 11:47
Indeed. Doc Bronners is good for everything except one particular use. Don't try to use it as toothpaste as some may suggest.
Ask me how I know! Yuck.

naaah it's not THAT bad ;)

at least you don't get " black hairy tongue" from using it
- folks to mix their own baking soda+peroxide get BHT if
they are of in their measurements

Ronan87
11-Sep-2011, 01:33
I never use a liquid because of the danger of it getting between the elements.
Activated charcoal powder and a Q-tip. DIp in charcoal, knock off excess and clean in concentric circles.

Madness...

He is joking right?

Michael Kadillak
11-Sep-2011, 20:18
Madness...

He is joking right?

I agree. If they are not joking then I wish them well. If you are venturing into the realm of optical abstracts then have at it.

If you are intending on making conventional sharp images then it is an exercise in futility without proper optical collimation equipment. I like good old fashioned predictability given the ever increasing cost of sheet film. I respect the fact that others have a different mindset when it comes to their photographic priorities.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
11-Sep-2011, 20:24
Steve Grimes recommended Dove.

Frank Petronio
11-Sep-2011, 21:24
Camera Maintenance & Repair, Book 1: Fundamental Techniques: A Comprehensive, Fully Illustrated Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Maintenance-Repair-Book-Comprehensive/dp/0936262869)

Tomosy's book shows him using Klennex and Windex. YMMV

desertrat
12-Sep-2011, 13:02
I've had good luck with generic Windex, but I use Q-tips instead of kleenex.