PDA

View Full Version : Metal non-folding cameras?

engl
9-Sep-2011, 12:32
Non-folders have caught my interest, as cameras more suited to urban photography than my Chamonix. Being rather small and setting up nearly instantly are requirements, and not a lot of bellows extension is needed.

I'd prefer something made out of metal, but there does not seem to be much to choose from. One of the Frica models linked here the other day is the only I've found
http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=783977&pagenumber=1
(the one pictured below the last landscape photo #6).

That one unfortunately does not have rear rise which I'd want (since front fall is limited).

Anything else out there?

Bob Salomon
9-Sep-2011, 13:08
Sylvestri. But most are not 45 and I think most were front rise.

GPS
9-Sep-2011, 13:26
If I understand you well, you don't mean metal cameras with helical focusing mount (there would be more of them in that category). But you won't find (not film only) metal non folding cameras with bellows and all movements as monorails. Simply because monorails already do what you want and can be small too. Arca Swiss is a modular camera and if you want it can be used in a very short time if you carry it (not difficult) ready on the rail.

domaz
9-Sep-2011, 13:39
You could hunt for a used Gowland. Very small with a 6-inch rail (suitable for a 90mm lens or less) and as light as they get. Movements are very good with lots of front rise/fall possible and front/back tilts and swings.

Jay DeFehr
9-Sep-2011, 16:07
But you won't find (not film only) metal non folding cameras with bellows and all movements as monorails.

Except for the one pictured in the link?

GPS
10-Sep-2011, 00:02
Except for the one pictured in the link?

As you can read in the first post that camera doesn't have all the movements of a monorail camera.

mortensen
10-Sep-2011, 03:46
... how about the great Technikardan by Linhof. Somehow a folder, yes, but compact and with full monorail movements - plus you can get the non-S version down to as low as $1000 US if you are patient. Why not consider a Technika IV, too? You won't have back rise, but you can turn the camera upside down and get a lot of front fall. I know that I'm probably not shedding light on anything you didn't know already, but I can say, from personal experience, that the build quality of linhof is hightly addictive.

Justin Cormack
10-Sep-2011, 05:52
Sylvestri. But most are not 45 and I think most were front rise.

There were 4x5 backs and bellows, but not really what they were best at. Though if someone offered me a 45 back for mine I would consider it...

Frank Petronio
10-Sep-2011, 06:01
They are called Sinars, Arcas, Toyos... the monorail has many practical advantages - rear vertical movements being one of them. In most models, movements are limited only by the coverage of your lens.

Just use a shorter monorail section and a smaller tripod block if you want compactness. A Sinar Norma or Toyo G has a small block. The Arca doesn't even use a block. But even the taller Sinar tripod blocks work out fine in practice if you consider the block to be part of the tripod instead of the camera (amazing how redefining it lightens the camera so much!)

jp
10-Sep-2011, 07:10
If a camera doesn't have front fall, but has front rise, use it upside down.

A speed/crown graphic might fit the bill for an urban convenient camera.

Mike Anderson
10-Sep-2011, 07:39
http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=783977&pagenumber=1....
I love those Chinese to English google translations. Half way down that page this is used to describe the camera (I think):

Are no make-up country girls photos, original and practical by the prison

:)

...Mike

Jay DeFehr
10-Sep-2011, 07:45
As you can read in the first post that camera doesn't have all the movements of a monorail camera.

Fair enough. I didn't realize the OP was referencing that particular camera. So, it's one movement away from fitting the bill/ breaking the mold?

GPS
10-Sep-2011, 07:56
Fair enough. I didn't realize the OP was referencing that particular camera. So, it's one movement away from fitting the bill/ breaking the mold?

It could be. As I said in a different thread about the camera I would love to know what kind of a technical advantage this all metal variant has comparing with its Chamonix model. The only thing I can think of is the fact that you don't need to set it up from a closed position. But then it would be enough to make it as a wooden model. The camera hides a strange constructional reason.

Kerry L. Thalmann
10-Sep-2011, 09:51
ARCA-SWISS F-Line with 110mm front standard, 24cm leather wide angle bellows and appropriate rail configuration to meet your needs.

Nothing to unfold and you can leave the lens mounted on the camera. So, just mount it on your tripod (very quick, if you have an ARCA-SWISS quick release clamp on your tripod head), compose, focus and shoot.

Kerry

Jay DeFehr
10-Sep-2011, 10:30
It could be. As I said in a different thread about the camera I would love to know what kind of a technical advantage this all metal variant has comparing with its Chamonix model. The only thing I can think of is the fact that you don't need to set it up from a closed position. But then it would be enough to make it as a wooden model. The camera hides a strange constructional reason.

I'm very interested in camera design, and especially purpose-built cameras. I think LF cameras are only very complex when they need to do a lot of things well, and in the end, cameras meant to do a lot of things are always a collection of compromises. I'm fond of box cameras, compact P&S cameras, simple folders, etc., because they are elegant solutions to simple problems, and that is what I aspire to in my own designs.

GPS
10-Sep-2011, 10:59
Indeed, much could be said about the topic. It is one of those technical fields where a skilful amateur having the appropriate knowledge can still achieve a surprising success in innovatory constructions.

Noah A
10-Sep-2011, 14:05
I think those Chinese cameras look very, very interesting. I've been looking for something like that.

The Walker Titan XL seems like a nice design. http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_4x5.html

But it's plastic, kind of ugly and I wonder how the plastic will do over time, if it will wear and introduce slop into the system. Also the camera is bigger than it would need to be if it were made out of metal.

I do urban work and I started with a Wista VX, moved to a Technikardan and now I use the TK as well as a Technika. The Technika is my favorite to work with, it's built like a tank, sets up instantly and it has enough movements for most of my needs.

Arcas are great but expensive. (So are Linhofs, of course, but they seem to turn up more often than Arcas on the used market.)

But those little Chinese non-folders and mini-monorails look really promising. The Panfield camera is another one that looks good, but they're no longer made and I don't know how many are out there.

Jay DeFehr
10-Sep-2011, 16:55
Plastic is my favorite material for cameras and accessories. ABS is incredibly tough, and dimensionally stable. I also like fiber-over-core construction. I'm currently (glue setting) building a nifty development tank for 1-2 sheets of 4x5 film from ABS. It's smaller than a 4x5 film holder and holds about 30ml of solution. It is designed for intermittent agitation by a novel mechanism that significantly decreases aerial oxidation. This is just a simple prototype, but if it proves well, I have ideas for increasing sheet capacity and automation.

engl
10-Sep-2011, 18:38
Thanks for all the replies!

Many great cameras suggested, but it does not seem like a the camera I had hoped for exists (it would essentially be the linked Frica plus rear rise, or rear tilt so front fall could be done indirectly).

Some comments about the cameras suggested,
Silvestri: Too limited movements, limited lens options, $$$. (maybe there are more models than I'm aware of)
Gowland: These seem to compromise a bit too much to save weight, I do not really need ultra-light. If kept ready to shoot on a mini-rail it would still be rather large, and lens range very limited.
Technikardan: Very interesting camera, but I don't think I will like that setup/close procedure. Lots more bellows than I need.
Technika IV: Too limited with very wide lenses, turning upside down for front fall cumbersome.
Speed/Crown Graphic: I actually had one, and did indeed turn it outside down for front fall, but I'd rather not have to :) Also limited with wide lenses.
Walker Titan XL: Another interesting non-wood camera, but it also lacks rear rise (or tilt).
Arca F-line: Larger than the Ebony-style non-folders which would be ideal, but the F-line seems very well suited to what I want. The Misura seems to have a perfect set of movements and a lens range that suits me very well, maybe it could be packed smaller with the base removed. Unfortunately, Arca cameras are very expensive and rare on the used market...

Frank Petronio
10-Sep-2011, 19:06
The Panfield was a really neat design, I've never seen one, they were made in the late 1980s and then the photographer-owner died. I bet there are only a handful in existence.

However, I doubt you ideal camera exists, or will ever!

Alan Gales
10-Sep-2011, 20:16
I own a wooden 4x5 Tachihara and a metal 4x5 Sinar P. Comparing a wooden field camera to a metal monorail is like comparing apples to oranges. Before spending big bucks on an Arca Swiss I would buy a $200.00 Sinar F off of ebay and try it out for awhile. If the monorail seems right for you then sell the Sinar for around what you paid for it and then buy the Arca. Just a suggestion.

Donald Qualls
10-Sep-2011, 20:58
Graphic View examples aren't hard to come by; they're an all metal monorail camera with both front and back focusing and full movements on front and back; the Graphic View II has centered pivots for tilts, so you don't change focus when you change tilt, and an international type back (nice for roll film backs, Polaroid/Fujiroid holders, and such). If you get one, be sure it includes the rail tilt mechanism, which is also the only way to mount the camera to your tripod, and check the condition of the gears that drive the front and rear standards on the rail, as well as the usual bellows check for any older camera.

BTW, a Graphic View uses the same 4x4 lens board as 1940s vintage Speed Graphics, which makes things nice if you have one of those also...

mortensen
11-Sep-2011, 01:24
Stefan, have you looked at the Toyo VX125? Not cheap at all, but basically a collapsible monorail design made specifically for the superwide-300mm lens range. I considered it before deciding on the Technikardan. The Toyo is hard to find second hand, but shows up from time to time. You can see a photo of the kit here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/charliexia/2764875182/in/photostream
Fully geared monorail that collapses down to the tiny monorail you see on the left in the photo. Regarding the Technikardan, it of course doesn't set up as quickly as a Technika, but as soon as you get familiar with it, it takes somewhere between 10-20 seconds. Using the bag bellow, you have full movements up to 150mm.

There is also the Toho's (not Toyo). Check Kerry Thalmann's review of them. Badger sells them. And don't forget the late Linhof Color with back rise:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/LINHOF-COLOR-KARDEN-4X5-RAIL-CAMERA-BODY-XTRAS-/280736117757?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item415d2d33fd#ht_5051wt_1398
(you can get shorter rails than this ad)
Whereas the Technikardan is the brain child of the Technika and Kardan, the Color looks more like the limp stepson - but they work surprisingly well and only weighs around 2.6 kg.

I had a chamonix to begin with, and although I liked the camera in many ways, there was a few things with it that bugged me EVERY time I used it: no zero detents on front swing and too sloppy geared focusing. My point being, that although some of the chinese cameras have really great designs (not least the Shen-Hao XPO), they might fail a little in some of the critical areas - and thats where you can trust a Linhof/Arca/Sinar fully. For me, the built quality and rigidity comes before a design that does everything and weighs like a feather.

engl
11-Sep-2011, 04:39
However, I doubt you ideal camera exists, or will ever!

I think this is a conscious choice from the camera builders. How could they keep selling me "almosts" if they'd build my ideal camera?

Concerning monorails (Sinar F, Graphic View etc), yes I'm keeping an eye out for one, but the market around here is somewhat limited. I'd like to find something rather compact that can then be put on a very short rail, which should make for a decent instant-setup camera, although it will still be rather bulky compared to Ebony-style non-folders.

Mortensen, yes I've looked at the VX125. Seems like a brilliant camera, but also right up there with Arca in price, and equally rare on the used market.

The Linhof color seems like it would be limited with wide lenses, no bag bellows right?

Regarding the Chamonix, I presume you had the 045N-1? I have the 045N-2 which has very smooth focusing. Your other point about lack of zero detent on the front swing is probably my biggest issue with the camera. Since the front comes off for folding, the front can not be left in the zero position either.

You also mentioned the Shen Hao XPO. I've been looking at these, they are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, except with another material choice...

Noah A
11-Sep-2011, 06:20
The Walker has 36mm of front fall, according to the website, so that may offset the lack of rear rise...depending on how much you need of course. I think it's a very interesting design. I do sort of wish someone would make the same thing in metal.

The more urban work I shoot, the more I realize that I don't need as much movement as I thought I would. Front fall/rear rise is a very nice thing to have, but generally I use it when shooting from elevated positions. So when I'm shooting from up high I just mount my Technika upside-down. It's a bit of a hassle, but to me it's worth it to be able to work with such a small and solid camera. I've also realized that sometimes slightly longer lenses are nicer, they flatten out the perspective a bit.

The Technika can do pretty well with 115mm and 90mm lenses. I don't have a 75mm yet but it seems like it will still get good movements with a 75mm, since the 75's don't have huge image circles anyway. If you use a 72XL, of course a Technika is not the right choice as you won't be able to take advantage of the capabilities of the lens. And movements with ultrawide lenses will be difficult, but again, some ultrawides don't offer much coverage anyway.

I thought the TK45S would be a do-it-all camera. And if I could only have one camera, that would be it. (Or maybe an Arca). But I'm realizing that having two cameras isn't such a bad thing. You might want to get a metal field camera for fast setup, traveling light and durability. And then you could get an inexpensive monorail with a short rail for when you need more movements.

Frank Petronio
11-Sep-2011, 06:50
It seems that your requirements are very demanding but you haven't had much experience actually photographing with any of these large format cameras mentioned, even though we've pretty much covered all the high quality models in common use.... If you go out and make some pictures then many of your concerns will be eliminated and the remaining issues can be targeted and solved. I doubt anyone can purchase the perfect camera for themselves without having used several different models and kinds beforehand.

Nothing beats practical experience.

My advice has evolved to become: Start out with a simple, limited movement, inexpensive Crown Graphic with a normal 135mm press lens and get used to handling large format film and the workflow. Become comfortable with the Crown first. Then get an inexpensive but professional grade metal monorail with a full range of movements, interchangeable bellows, and a large lensboard - something like a Sinar Norma, F2, various Linhof Kardans, Toyo G, mid-to-upper level Cambos.

Invest in a solid tripod and a good normal lens like a 210/5.6 that allows plenty of movements. If you tend to like architecture, get a 90/4.5 or 90/5.6 lens with a large, bright image circle. Get a Harrison changing tent (or a darkroom), 10+ holders, and a lot of film. Shoot a lot. Make prints so you can see your progress.

Keep the Crown for bad weather, travel, and fast operation. Use the monorail for exacting work. Both compliment each other.

All of this gear can be had for $1000 USd, maybe $1500 USd if you are impatient.

The pictures you make with this gear have the potential to be state-of-the-art, just as good as anybody else's, better than Gursky's, Adams', or Weston's.

Forsake college classes and only use the text books for reference.

Do this for a year and you will be more of an expert than 98% of this forum ;-p

Then you can fuss about camera design or spend $5000 on some silly Ebony or whatever....

I love playing with camera gear too but I fear it is really a hobby unto itself, unrelated to making pictures.

mortensen
11-Sep-2011, 08:08
I like your advice, Frank - should be posted as a separate article on the main site!

It seems that Stefan has some experience already, though (not that I should really talk here - I've only been in the game for two years, but through three cameras already).

A two-camera setup seems like a really nice idea. But stefan, if the XPO is what you are looking for - in the wrong material that is - why not give it a chance and let the material be the compromise rather than movements/weight/compactness/whatever. If it wasn't for customs issues, I had bought an XPO when I had my chamonix stolen in India (was in contact with mr. Zhang and he was ready to ship). As long as it has rack and pinion focusing and the standards are squared natively upon setup, you can probably trust a woodie, right?

btw, when the arcas and toyos occationally comes up for sale, prices are often good. Check Igor for arcas - he has an F-line metric.

Kerry L. Thalmann
11-Sep-2011, 08:38
I own a wooden 4x5 Tachihara and a metal 4x5 Sinar P. Comparing a wooden field camera to a metal monorail is like comparing apples to oranges. Before spending big bucks on an Arca Swiss I would buy a $200.00 Sinar F off of ebay and try it out for awhile. If the monorail seems right for you then sell the Sinar for around what you paid for it and then buy the Arca. Just a suggestion.

Or, you could start out with one of the older generation pre F-Line ARCAs. They aren't fully compatible with the F-Line generation (the bellows are not compatible, but the rails are, for example), but they will introduce you to the ARCA-SWISS modular design concept.

Kerry

Richard Wasserman
11-Sep-2011, 08:43
I do a lot of urban photography, and have used several 4x5 cameras ranging from folding woodies to a Sinar Norma. After quite a few years of doing this I think that the camera is not the deciding factor, they all work well, just differently, and all involve compromises. The important thing is to expose a lot of film and learn what you want to do and how to do it—which only comes through practice and experience. I think Frank's advice is very good and worth heeding.

Alan Gales
11-Sep-2011, 09:46
It seems that your requirements are very demanding but you haven't had much experience actually photographing with any of these large format cameras mentioned, even though we've pretty much covered all the high quality models in common use.... If you go out and make some pictures then many of your concerns will be eliminated and the remaining issues can be targeted and solved. I doubt anyone can purchase the perfect camera for themselves without having used several different models and kinds beforehand.

Nothing beats practical experience.

My advice has evolved to become: Start out with a simple, limited movement, inexpensive Crown Graphic with a normal 135mm press lens and get used to handling large format film and the workflow. Become comfortable with the Crown first. Then get an inexpensive but professional grade metal monorail with a full range of movements, interchangeable bellows, and a large lensboard - something like a Sinar Norma, F2, various Linhof Kardans, Toyo G, mid-to-upper level Cambos.

Invest in a solid tripod and a good normal lens like a 210/5.6 that allows plenty of movements. If you tend to like architecture, get a 90/4.5 or 90/5.6 lens with a large, bright image circle. Get a Harrison changing tent (or a darkroom), 10+ holders, and a lot of film. Shoot a lot. Make prints so you can see your progress.

Keep the Crown for bad weather, travel, and fast operation. Use the monorail for exacting work. Both compliment each other.

All of this gear can be had for $1000 USd, maybe $1500 USd if you are impatient.

The pictures you make with this gear have the potential to be state-of-the-art, just as good as anybody else's, better than Gursky's, Adams', or Weston's.

Forsake college classes and only use the text books for reference.

Do this for a year and you will be more of an expert than 98% of this forum ;-p

Then you can fuss about camera design or spend $5000 on some silly Ebony or whatever....

I love playing with camera gear too but I fear it is really a hobby unto itself, unrelated to making pictures.

Mortensen is right. Frank, you should put this on the main website. Excellent, practical advice!

engl
11-Sep-2011, 09:52
While I have not been shooting for long, I'm not just starting out. I've been shooting LF for about 1.5 years and have had two cameras before my Chamonix 4x5, a Crown Graphic and a MPP Mk7. I was not too fond of the Crown, the MPP was better but still lacking, and I find the Chamonix to be a brilliant camera (which I use for diverse photography). I wish it set up and zeroed out faster when shooting urban photography.

Some of the photos I've taken are available in this Flickr set, it should also give an idea about the kind of photography for which I want a camera:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36164047@N06/sets/72157624941511610/

I'd love to build future purchases on more experience with a wide range of cameras, but there are not a lot of VX125 and F-line Arcas to try around here in Sweden. My experiences so far is what is prompting me to make this thread, the setup/zeroing time of the Chamonix has gotten in the way of my photography more than once. I know the movements and lens range I need, and I know I want a rather compact camera.

Mortensen, yes I might well end up buying a XPO. I've searched here on the forum but there does not seem to be a lot of owners around.

Kerry, thank you the advice, I will look into older Arcas.

Kerry L. Thalmann
11-Sep-2011, 10:28
Kerry, thank you the advice, I will look into older Arcas.

Stefan

You're welcome. Other than than price, I really think an ARCA-SWISS F-line with the 110mm front standard and leather wide angle bellows would be the perfect camera for your needs. I have never owned a camera that is faster to set-up - and that includes multiple Speed/Crown Graphics and Technikas. You don't have to worry about zeroing any movements or even mounting the lens on the camera, just mount it on the tripod, compose, focus and shoot. Couldn't be easier - and all controls are accessible, intuitive and easy to use.

It will cost you a pretty penny, but a 110mm metric front format frame with micrometric Orbix will also give you self-arresting geared front rise and front axis tilt. You don't even have to take the time to turn a knob to lock these movements. Just tweak a knob to make the desired adjustment.

I personally prefer the F-Line, configured with the telescoping optical bench (extension bracket and two short rail sections) over the Misura. The Misura lacks back swing and tilt and I find the optical bench more rigid and faster to set up than the folding rails - and it accommodates a wider range of lenses. Plus, I just can't see spending an extra $600 on a leather purse for my camera.

Kerry

Struan Gray
11-Sep-2011, 12:07
The Linhof Techno is the sort of thing I would want for your application, but it's only 6x9.

A monorail on a short rail is easy enough to carry around.

Jimi
11-Sep-2011, 13:28
Kerry,

when you say pre-F cameras do you mean the A/B/C ones, then?

mortensen
11-Sep-2011, 13:41
hey, both of you are right across the waters... germany sure has a lot of Linhof and sinar products floating around. ebay.de is the place!

Great night shots, btw. If you frequent Japan (as it seems), why not hook up with B.S. Kumar from the forum? He is a very helpful indian guy, who lives and works in Kobe and he has, on several occasions, offered me various Toyo cameras and among those a VX125. I think he still has it for sale. He knows a lot about gear and has good access to whatever the japanese marked has to offer - or so it seems, at least. You could easily pick it up while in Japan.

I bought my Technikardan 45S for $1300 while in the US this summer. As Frank preaches: if you are patient, you can get really good deals on stunning 90s-state-of-the-art cameras.

to be fair to the later versions of the Linhof Color, I think its universal bellows will easily handle your 65 and 90. If you max out a 72XL for your work, it might be a different story, though. Seeing your shots I see why you want back movements. Both the Arca, Toyo and Technikardan has enough back movements to allow for stitched 5x8" or 4x10" if you lenses' image circles are big enough.

Jimi
11-Sep-2011, 14:07
There's a guy in Sweden selling a Linhof Kardan on Blocket, which he says is a GT, but I am too bad at figuring out the various Linhof models, it's a monorail anyways.

Kerry L. Thalmann
11-Sep-2011, 14:26
Kerry,

when you say pre-F cameras do you mean the A/B/C ones, then?

Yes. Although very hard to find, in this configuration, my first ever ARCA-SISS camera was a Model A with a 110mm front standard and the 24cm leather wide angle bellows. In this configuration it weighs about 5.75 lb - much lighter than the Wisner Tech Field and Linhof Technikardan TK45S I'd been previously carrying around in the field.

What made this one particularly unique was the smaller 110mm front format frame and 24cm tapered leather wide angle bellows. This made it a predecessor to the current F-Line Field and I don't think I've never seen another one of the older generation ARCA-SWISS cameras for sale in this configuration.

It was also the camera that served as my inspiration for my 4x10 Lotus/ARCA-SWISS hybrid (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23134).

Kerry

Jimi
11-Sep-2011, 14:39
Thanks Kerry for the info!

The reason I was curious what you meant is that I "happened" (you know, looking around a bit and...) to win a bid for an older Arca-Swiss tonight. I have had one before and I really liked the lightness of it but I was a bit vary of the plastics. Only issue seems to be the missing knob on the back standard. Let's see if I like it as much this time around. Sorry about the threadjacking! :)

banjo
11-Sep-2011, 14:43
after the war WW2 there was some like
NEW-VUE
Brand 17
baco
Rilex
& others AND not all had all the movemants
BUT NOT ALL monorails have all the movemants

Kerry L. Thalmann
11-Sep-2011, 15:22
Thanks Kerry for the info!

The reason I was curious what you meant is that I "happened" (you know, looking around a bit and...) to win a bid for an older Arca-Swiss tonight. I have had one before and I really liked the lightness of it but I was a bit vary of the plastics. Only issue seems to be the missing knob on the back standard. Let's see if I like it as much this time around. Sorry about the threadjacking! :)

Wow, that is an OLD one. Probably a very early one from the mid-1950s. And it has the 110mm front standard.

Kerry

Jimi
11-Sep-2011, 15:29
I never figured out the progression of the models, thought it was a bit younger than the mid-50's but here it is from the front. It also comes with a bunch of metal holders the previous owner says may be from Arca, but I think they look a lot like millionenfalz holders, being very thin (4 mm or so).

Kerry L. Thalmann
11-Sep-2011, 16:42
I never figured out the progression of the models, thought it was a bit younger than the mid-50's but here it is from the front. It also comes with a bunch of metal holders the previous owner says may be from Arca, but I think they look a lot like millionenfalz holders, being very thin (4 mm or so).

The one piece standard supports and small metal focusing knobs make it older than any of the many older generation ARCA-SWISS cameras I've owned.

Do you know if the lens is original? I can't make out the serial number from the photo, but that may help determine the approximate date of manufacture for the camera.

Do you know if conventional 4x5 holders will fit the back? One of the older ARCAs I bought several years ago only took smaller, thinner 9x12cm film holders. I was a bit surprised when it arrived as it was advertised as a 4x5 ARCA-SWISS camera.

Kerry

Jimi
11-Sep-2011, 23:21
Aha, I see. I think the one I had earlier had about the same vintage but it had a non-revolving back which could take 4x5" holders. Not sure about this one, because I don't have at hand yet, just going from auction photos. Seems strange that yours couldn't take 4x5 holder, they're the same outer dimensions. Some sort of mechanical limit to the thickness of the holder, maybe?

As far as I understand, the lens is original with the camera, serial says 5170741.

ashlee52
6-Oct-2011, 08:39
It's been a while since this thread was active, but for the record it is easy to get front fall with most field cameras by pointing the camera down and then re-leveling the standards to vertical. Also a Deardorff might meet the OP's needs since they have the sliding rise and fall board, and set up much quicker than a Chamonix.

Drew Wiley
6-Oct-2011, 09:12
I just picked up a lovely 4x5 Norma. It only took me an evening to CLA, and the total
cost was just a little more than what I had budgeted to upgrade my old Sinar F2. The
misc accessories are of course interchangeable. I would have really like to have purchased the 5x7 Norma which was posted on this forum, but that monorail format is just too bulky for my style pulling it right out of the top of a pack with the lens already
in position for quick operation. Anything bigger like my 8x10 and I need a folder with its slower setup time. The Norma is slightly heavier than some analogous options, but is
way sturdier too, especially at long extensions, and still quite light compared to the
Sinar F and X versions. Really a dream monorail if you find one in good condition. For really long backpack trips or airline travel, I use a little Ebony 4x5 folder, so now have all the bases covered. By the way, that nice 5x7 Norma system is now on EBay.

banjo
6-Oct-2011, 19:21
will the lens is a 1957 or 58

rknewcomb
23-Feb-2012, 08:02
Did anyone ever figure out how to go about getting one of these little Frica cameras?

Noah A
23-Feb-2012, 09:52
I'm wondering as well. Looks like a nice little camera.

Edward (Halifax,NS)
23-Feb-2012, 10:13
I'm wondering as well. Looks like a nice little camera.

Ditto!!

rknewcomb
23-Feb-2012, 12:29
Something to be said for the simple machined metal.