PDA

View Full Version : Agfa Ansco 8 x 10 Camera Model?

Mike OBrien
9-Sep-2011, 11:34
I am trying to identify the model of a 8 x 10 Agfa Ansco camera. The only markings are on the name plate in the front that states:

Manufactured in the USA
AGFA
Ansco Corporation
Binghamton, NY

Is there somewhere I can send photos of it to be identified? Also, the bellows are in good shape but need a little cleaning, can someone tell me the best way to do that?

Thanks for your help.

Graybeard
9-Sep-2011, 12:15
What color is it? Battleship gray or a Chaerry wood finish?

IanG
9-Sep-2011, 12:34
Colour doesn't matter too much the De Luxe models (pre-WWII were battleship grey). The type of fittings is important as well

More important is the movements and bellows extension, 27" is a Unniversal View, 37" is the top of the range Commercial View.

If it has the name on the front it's a Unniversal as the Commercials all have an extension rail.

Ian

Mike OBrien
9-Sep-2011, 12:37
Cherry Wood

Mike OBrien
9-Sep-2011, 12:41
When I measured the bellows extension, I only measured 21" but I am probably measuring it wrong. It does have the name plate on the front so it probably is a universal. Do you know when they were made and do you know how to clean the bellows? Thanks for your help.

cdholden
9-Sep-2011, 12:43
Are you sure it's 8x10? I think the bellows on my 5x7 are 21". I haven't confirmed, just going from memory.

If you can, post photos here.

IanG
9-Sep-2011, 12:43
All post WWII Ansco LF cameras are grey, and also made elsewhere during WWII all camera manufacture ceased at Bingham.

So as your's is Cherry it's pre-late 1941/early 1942, almost certainly a Unniversal, a few had front tilt but not all. I have one identical as well as a Commercial View.

Ian

Mike OBrien
9-Sep-2011, 12:45
I use to work for Polaroid back in the 70's and I shot Polaroid 8 x 10 Instant film on it. How do I post the photo on the message?

Mike OBrien
9-Sep-2011, 12:46
It keeps asking me for a URL address when I try to insert the photo.

IanG
9-Sep-2011, 12:53
When I measured the bellows extension, I only measured 21" but I am probably measuring it wrong. It does have the name plate on the front so it probably is a universal. Do you know when they were made and do you know how to clean the bellows? Thanks for your help.

You may have missed the rear extension, http://lostlabours.co.uk/photography/cameras/images/aa005.jpg

http://lostlabours.co.uk/photography/cameras/images/aa009.jpg

Agfa took over Ansco (Antony & Scovlille in 1928 if my memories correct, so it was made between 1928 & 1941.

Agfa Ansco's are better made than Deardorff's etc and were regarded as the very best of all the US made pre-WWII LF cameras.

I'd gently wipe the bellows with a damp cloth to clean them, the Unniversal's bellows aren't as good as those on the Commercials I reglued mine last November.

Ian

IanG
9-Sep-2011, 12:55
It keeps asking me for a URL address when I try to insert the photo.

You either host the Photo elsewhere and then add the URL or go down the page when posting and you'll see manage attachments.

Ian

Mike OBrien
9-Sep-2011, 12:59
Ian,

Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. Is the camera worth anything?

Jay DeFehr
9-Sep-2011, 13:05
It's worth something. Put it on ebay with no reserve and you'll find out how much.

IanG
9-Sep-2011, 14:50
Ian,

Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. Is the camera worth anything?

Depends on the movements etc. I paid a lot of money for both my Agfa Ansco's but they came with bonuses.

My Commercial (front tilt and front swing, quite unusual) came with a pre-WWII 12" Dagor which had been factory coated after the war and a brand new Beattie screen, plus 4 spare lens boards one had previously held a 300mm Nikon M - a lens I have.

Then my Universal (no front tilt) came with a superb 165mm f8 Super Angulon. So both were bargains,

They are superb cameras very usable but it depends very much on it's condition and the exact range of movements etc. I wouldn't pay very much for just a body maybe $400.

Ian

Wayne
9-Sep-2011, 19:27
Be wary of absolutes. Sometimes the 5x7's that always have an extension rail don't have an extension rail, and never did. Sometimes Universals don't have front name plates. But you probably have a Universal and missed the extension rail, like Ian said. Or maybe it doesn't have one, like some of the 5x7's. I got my gray 8x10 Uni for $400 with holders and 5x7 back and 4x5 back and iris clamp, but that was 1998. The clamp alone might go for a few hundred now.

IanG
10-Sep-2011, 01:08
It doesn't help that the Agfa Ansco catalogues show the wrong Illustrations for some camera's. The 1941 Catalogue show a the wrong camera on the Commercial View page with a name plate on the end of the front rail, but they all take an extension rail.Also the illustration has no raer extension either.

With the 5x7's there was a Universal and also a Standard View. What doesn't help is the camears changed during war time production when manufacture switched to a different location and workshop, hardware changed as well as quality and finish.

Ian

Brian Ellis
10-Sep-2011, 06:58
Are the knobs black plastic or metal/brass-looking like Ian's? That's one way to approximately date Agfa Anscos IIRC. The metal knobs were the earlier.

I don't think you'd find universal agreement with with Ian's statement about Agfa Ansco being regarded as the very best of all the U.S. made pre-WWII cameras. I think many, perhaps most, would say Deardorf had that distinction and that Agfa-Ansco was second. But maybe it's a question of perceptions pre vs post war. Doesn't really matter, either way, Agfa Anscos are very nice cameras. I had an 8x10 that I used for several years.

IanG
10-Sep-2011, 13:51
I don't think you'd find universal agreement with with Ian's statement about Agfa Ansco being regarded as the very best of all the U.S. made pre-WWII cameras. I think many, perhaps most, would say Deardorf had that distinction and that Agfa-Ansco was second. But maybe it's a question of perceptions pre vs post war. Doesn't really matter, either way, Agfa Anscos are very nice cameras. I had an 8x10 that I used for several years.

My comment is based on the choice of the original owner of my Commercial View. He bought the camera new in about 1940 and had been a lecturer at the Clarence White School of Photography. He bought the best available US made 10x8 view camera of that era and also the best lens a Goerz AM OPt Dagor. The camera's second owner a US Professor of Photography also thought it far better than a Deradorff and he'd used both.

Add to that Ansel Adams also used an Agfa Ansco and so bid Brett Weston.

What's more important is they are great cameras to use, I walk with mine usually only shorter 5 mile treks I use a 5x4 Wista for longer hikes.

Ian