PDA

View Full Version : Epson 4900 Profile questions

David Aimone
8-Sep-2011, 15:21
I just downloaded the profile for Harmon FB Gloss Baryta. How do I add it to the profiles for the printer? All the Epson profiles come up in Lightroom (my copy of PS needs to be reinstalled after a hard drive crash), but I can't figure out how install the Harmon profile.

2nd question: Is it better to tone a black and white photo on the computer, then print using Epson Software AccuPhoto HDR in the print settings, or use Advanced Black and White Photo in the print settings and tone with that (in its advanced settings)?

D. Bryant
8-Sep-2011, 15:39
I just downloaded the profile for Harmon FB Gloss Baryta. How do I add it to the profiles for the printer? All the Epson profiles come up in Lightroom (my copy of PS needs to be reinstalled after a hard drive crash), but I can't figure out how install the Harmon profile.

2nd question: Is it better to tone a black and white photo on the computer, then print using Epson Software AccuPhoto HDR in the print settings, or use Advanced Black and White Photo in the print settings and tone with that (in its advanced settings)?

What OS are you using?

If you are using Windows simply right click on the ICC file name and you will be given an option to add the profile to the system which will put into the correct system folder.

It should then appear in profile lists for applications like PS when you want to apply it.

Peter De Smidt
8-Sep-2011, 15:44
You may also have to re-start photoshop, if it is open.

David Aimone
8-Sep-2011, 16:10
I'm on Mac OS 10.6, and the ICC profile wants to open with ColorSync, but I haven't tried that yet.

I have to find my registration code for Photoshop. I usually print from Lightroom anyway.

D. Bryant
8-Sep-2011, 17:29
or use Advanced Black and White Photo in the print settings and tone with that (in its advanced settings)?

I've not user the Epson HDR interface but of the two I would recommend the ABW. You will need to test the settings to see what you prefer from the ABW options.

If you print from LR then you can use the toning presets and print a color image using the Harmon ICC profile. You have a lot of options you can try.

John Rodriguez
9-Sep-2011, 08:29
Drag and drop the profiles into the following directory:

Library>ColorSync>Profiles

After you restart PS/LR, you'll see the profiles.

David Aimone
15-Sep-2011, 08:31
Got it! Thanks everyone.

Also, if I'm printing with the printer management off and using a printer profile in Lightroom, the print settings are disabled for many things, but not for paper type. If I'm using a non-Epson paper, I don't know what to set that for. You can't set it to "Other" or "None" and only Epson papers are listed.

Is this ignored when using the custom ICC profile in Lightroom if print management is turned off in the printer, even though it still shows as a choice?

Finally, I'm using Harmon Gloss Baryta Paper and there is no ICC profile for the Epson 4900, so I'm using the one for the 4880 (though I realize the ink sets are different). I did contact Harmon days ago, but haven't heard back. Any suggestions?

Jon Shiu
15-Sep-2011, 09:54
If using a non-Epson paper, the paper manufacturer supplying the profile will specify which Epson paper setting to use (because they used that setting in creating the profile).

If there is no profile for your printer/paper it is best to get a custom profile. Around $30 (eg Eric Chan). Since paper and ink are expensive, it would be worth it.

Jon

David Aimone
15-Sep-2011, 10:08
Apparently, they did respond at Harmon without replying to me. The profiles are listed for the 4900 now. No notes with it to tell me the Epson paper setting in the driver, if relevant.

Jon Shiu
15-Sep-2011, 11:34
It is essential to use the correct Epson media setting that the profile was created with. For the 3880 + Hahnemuehle Gloss Baryta it was Luster. Check with the paper manufacturer.

Jon

David Aimone
15-Sep-2011, 11:41
Thanks! I will.

It is essential to use the correct Epson media setting that the profile was created with. For the 3880 + Hahnemuehle Gloss Baryta it was Luster. Check with the paper manufacturer.

Jon

David Aimone
16-Sep-2011, 05:45
I did get a response from Harmon. They set up using Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper at 1440 dpi. Being new to fine digital printing, is there any specific reason why they wouldn't use the 4900's higher dpi setting?