PDA

View Full Version : Fine grained color negative film in 4x5 with large exposure latitude?

l2oBiN
8-Sep-2011, 12:28
I have no experience with colour negative film. My colour workflow is reliant on scanned colour transparencies. Seeing the wonderful details/exposure latitude that can be captured with BW negatives, I am interested in exploring a colour film with comparable exposure latitude (or one that is closest to that of BW film), and scans well. Any suggestions, tips, experiences or comments on which film would be most appropriate and why? (It would be also of great help if someone is willing to swap a box or two for Velvia 100.)

Thank you in advance.

minesix66
8-Sep-2011, 12:32
I like provia 100 for slide and kodak ektar 100 for c41

Noah A
8-Sep-2011, 12:38
You can't really go wrong with the new Portra films.

The 400 is great, it has fine grain for its speed and scans beautifully. I've printed my drum-scanned negs up to 40x50 inches and larger and they look great. The grain is very fine and tight and it's a very sharp film.

The 160 has even less grain and a slightly less saturated look. (Not that the 400 is saturated, they're both relatively low contrast and neither of them exaggerate color). But the 160, while still sharp of course, has a smoother, softer look that is really beautiful.

The new Portras have a very large exposure latitude, especially for overexposure.

Of course, if you like Velvia, then perhaps you'll prefer Ektar, which I've never used but is reputed to have extremely fine grain and punchier colors than the Portras. It seems to be a bit less forgiving in terms of exposure latitude, but it's still a negative film so it'll likely have more than your Velvia.

Alas, there aren't that many choices these days. But the ones we do have are very good.