PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Photo Chemical Source

Michael Kadillak
7-Sep-2011, 12:43
Does anyone have a good source of bulk photographic chemicals at a discount such as ammonium thiosulfate, sodium sulfate and pyrogalic acid to name a few. I am looking at volume purchases of 5# or more. I have been supporting the regulars for quite some time and want to see if there is an alternative.

Thanks in advance

Erik Larsen
7-Sep-2011, 12:51
The formulary I believe offers discounts on larger orders. I do not believe 5#'s is much of a bulk amount, you may have to up your quantity to find any discounts available from most resellers.
Good luck
Erik

Gem Singer
7-Sep-2011, 13:16
Check with Mike at:

www.artcraftchemicals.com

He might be willing to discount bulk purchases.

Greg Blank
7-Sep-2011, 13:34
I agree 5 pounds is not a lot, Artcraft does offer better pricing as the weight goes up. Thiosulfate can be purchased in 55 gallon container increments to my knowledge & that size might offer a much bigger discount. To my knowledge though to purchase that sort of volume requires a special permit issued at the federal level- I seem to recall, as companies like JT Baker will not sell to the general public. Plus trying to buy those sort of quantities will more like set off all sorts of red flags perhaps you do not want associated with your business.

cdholden
7-Sep-2011, 14:08
Chemsavers is another source, but they buy some of their photo-related stuff from Mike @ Artcraft.
Start with Mike Jacobsen - 1.800.682.1730

Jay DeFehr
7-Sep-2011, 14:20
5# is a lot of phenidone, but it's not a lot of thiosulfate. I would go to Mike Jacobson; he's always been very good about tracking down any off the wall compounds I've requested, and only charges a very modest handling fee for the service.

Graybeard
7-Sep-2011, 14:25
Artcraft is a good source for developing agents. If you need a larger quantity than is listed, eMail for a price- Jacobsen is a realistic businessman.

For materials such as sodium sulfite and sodium thiosulfate, I can buy these locally from commercial chemical suppliers in 40-50 lb sacks. These prices can be astonishing low, sometimes 50 cents/lb. check your yellow pages or whatever serves as yellow pages these days.

Ron McElroy
7-Sep-2011, 15:27
Long ago I had a good friend photographer that was also salesman at a locally owned chemical company. He would order in anything I needed at sample/industrial prices. I don't know if this could be done today with all the regulations on chemicals.

Wayne
9-Sep-2011, 05:26
Pool supply companies will carry some of these-probably not reducing agents, but they cant get you 50# bags of NA sulfite, hypo, citric acid and things like that, and quite cheaply.

desertrat
9-Sep-2011, 07:49
I've had good luck getting sodium sulfite and sodium thiosulfate from The Chemistry Store. I think they have the best prices for these products in quantities greater than 10 lbs.

D. Bryant
9-Sep-2011, 08:57
I've had good luck getting sodium sulfite and sodium thiosulfate from The Chemistry Store. I think they have the best prices for these products in quantities greater than 10 lbs.

I agree about their prices though sometimes I question the shipping price.

D. Bryant
9-Sep-2011, 08:58
Pool supply companies will carry some of these-probably not reducing agents, but they cant get you 50# bags of NA sulfite, hypo, citric acid and things like that, and quite cheaply.
I've yet to find a pool company that sells any of that. I wish someone could point one out.

desertrat
10-Sep-2011, 07:45
The pool section of the local Walmart has sodium carbonate as 'ph plus'. I use it for paper developer. Sodium thiosulfate is supposedly used as a dechlorinator in pools, but I haven't seen it for sale in any of the usual places. Sodium sulfite and metabisulfite can be found at stores selling beer brewing and wine making supplies, but I've heard it's expensive because it's food grade.

David Phillips
14-Sep-2011, 16:46
Does anyone have a good source of bulk photographic chemicals at a discount such as ammonium thiosulfate, sodium sulfate and pyrogalic acid to name a few. I am looking at volume purchases of 5# or more. I have been supporting the regulars for quite some time and want to see if there is an alternative.

Thanks in advance
Mallenkrodt Chemical Company in St. Louis, Missouri. I'm not sure if I spelled their name right but it pretty near the spelling.

Michael Kadillak
14-Sep-2011, 18:16
Thanks to everyone for the excellent responses. Much appreciated!

BetterSense
14-Sep-2011, 20:09
I bought my bucket of Sodium Sulfite from TheChemistryStore. With shipping, it was the best value at the time.

Wayne
18-Sep-2011, 15:46
I've yet to find a pool company that sells any of that. I wish someone could point one out.

There's one in Superior Wisconsin.

BetterSense
21-Sep-2011, 14:47
I, also, tried about every pool supply store in DFW area and never found one that sold anything remotely interesting from a photochemistry standpoint. Perhaps it's a regional climate difference.