PDA

View Full Version : Owens Valley "Get Together" Oct 1-5

matthew blais
6-Sep-2011, 12:14
In the spirit of continuing the workshops/Get togethers that Per Volquartz (http://www.pervolquartz.com/instrgal.html) started up in this area several years ago...

This is not a workshop, however if any newbies or someone interested in some personal instruction (LF camera basics, ULF playtime, etc) feel free to ask myself, Jim Fitzgerald or one of the other attendees for some help.

When: October 1 (Sat) through October 5 (Wednesday)

October 1 (Sat) -Oct 3 As usual we'll start out at Virginia Creek Settlement (LINK (http://virginiacreeksettlement.com/)) near the road to Bodie. I will talk to the owner soon to see if he will accommodate us as before. They usually close down more or less. Stay here and shoot the area including Bodie and head south to Lee Vining morning of Oct 3 (Monday). We'll do a print review Saturday night (bring your work) and Sunday night. BS sessions, campfire... You can camp or rent a room. Check the site.

October 3 (Sat) -Oct 4 We'll camp at Aspens campground (I think that's the one) off Power Plant Road which is off the 120 a few miles up from 395. Or you can choose to stay in Lee Vining and several options there. Hang out, shoot Mono, the lakes and such.

October 4 (Sat) -Oct 5 'Bama Hills. Leave late afternoon from Lee Vining (or not) to head down to Alabama Hills Wednesday and stay through Thursday. Will be camping at our favorite Location. Ask me if you haven't been. Lone Pine has several hotel options as well.

Hoping to keep everyone together and enjoy the usual camaraderie and story telling as before...Reminisce about our departed friend, and make new friends. Oh, and make a few nice negatives to turn into positives :)

I'll try to answer questions as they come up. Basically, our almost annual get together to shoot, share work and a few laughs.

Please email me if you are attending and where you will be staying. Could catch the Aspens turning, but no guarantees.

Sorry for the short notice, hope to see my friends there and some new folks...

vinny
6-Sep-2011, 12:49
I'll miss you guys. The coolest place on earth. I think I'll make it next year though.

matthew blais
6-Sep-2011, 12:51
I'll miss you guys. The coolest place on earth. I think I'll make it next year though.

It is and hope you do Vinny...ain't the same without ya'!

williamtheis
6-Sep-2011, 15:12
so this meeting place is in Bridgeport, CA? got a google map link to location?

matthew blais
6-Sep-2011, 17:02

From the link I provided Bill:
"We are located just 5 miles south of Bridgeport on Highway 395. The motel, restaurant and campground are the closest accommodations to Bodie Ghost Town State Park about 1 mile north of the 395 turnoff."

Jehu
6-Sep-2011, 17:49
I'm interested. This isn't far from home for me. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks for posting Matthew.

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Sep-2011, 17:57
Vinny, I wish you could make it. We will have to raise one for you! I'll do a dry run carbon printing demo for anyone who may be interested. We have all made some nice images from this area and maybe we will get some of the fall color.

Forrest Atkins
6-Sep-2011, 19:24
Thanks MATT and Jim for putting this together. I hope to make some/all of it. SOP:cool:

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Sep-2011, 06:04
I'm going to bring the big guns out on this trip! I'll have 4 systems with me including the recently completed 14x17 to use. So anyone interested in an up close and personal look at hand built ULF's here is your chance! BTW I may have a new piece of equipment to debut.

Michael Clark
7-Sep-2011, 23:03
Jim love to be there, missed the one last year so have to make up.

Mike

Terry Hull
9-Sep-2011, 07:57
Is highway 120/Yosemite usually open 1st week in Oct? I may be there but will prbably be in the Bodie area after you have left for the Alabama Hills. (Unfortunately air fares from Philly work best on Tues departures). I am a happy camper today-got a spousal license to take an 8 day trip to my favorite spot anywhere! I really hope to get to Yosemite as well!

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Sep-2011, 08:15
Terry, it is always a crap shoot this time of year but the pass should be open. We had some snow flurries a few years back and got into the park off of 120. Spent my birthday at Teneya Lake. Me and my friend Bill were the only ones there the whole day. White fluffy clouds, some snow on the ground... it was great. Hope to see you there.

Michael Clark
9-Sep-2011, 09:24
Bill, if I make it up there I'll bring a couple of prints, still owe you 2 ,with matts of course.

Mike

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Sep-2011, 19:39
Prints! Yes, everyone bring some!!!

Tri Tran
10-Sep-2011, 06:56
Hi Jim,Mat
I'm glad you guys make it happen. It's sounds super fun especially when Jim brings the big gun out and show you folks some ULF Analog Carbon Print. I have a show with Nick Ut and others in the same week at Nguoi Viet so I guess you guys will miss it.Have fun and good shooting. I look forward to South Socal Portrait Session Meeting. Have a great weekend.

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Sep-2011, 07:30
Tri, the same weekend! Crap! Yes, we have to talk about the portrait shoot. Matt was asking about it.

matthew blais
11-Sep-2011, 14:55
If you are attending, please send me an email (not a pm here) with your days you'll be there and a cell phone number, and whether you will camp or hotel it. Thanks
mpb at matthewblaisphotography dot com

Terry Hull
11-Sep-2011, 18:23
I can't arrive until the 4th of Oct from Reno, so will likely miss meeting you. I see I am running right smack into a lot of people in Lone Pine area as their is a film festival. Interested for opinions on time allocation, as I expect to spend 4,5,6 in Bridgeport to photograph Bodie, Mono Lake, and Yosemite, 7,8 in Big Pine (Ancient Bristlecone-Deep Springs worth a visit?), 9,10 in Independence, B4 returning to the Reno airport on the night of 10 October for a next day flight back to the east coast.

Any suggestions?

Michael Clark
12-Sep-2011, 17:29
Can't get through to your email Matt

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Sep-2011, 17:41
Mike try;

mpb@matthewblaisphotography.com

The link opened a window in outlook express to e-mail from.

ghostcount
14-Sep-2011, 14:27
Ugh... I so want to be there!

williamtheis
15-Sep-2011, 08:08
I'm looking at my calendar. I'll let you know in the next couple days how long I can make it

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Sep-2011, 08:40
Bill, great. A couple of days or longer... whatever works is fine. Come out to shoot and have a good time. I'm planning on the 1st-4th of October.

Jim Graves
15-Sep-2011, 16:32
I believe I will make it for the 3d and the 4th of October.

Curt
16-Sep-2011, 12:25
Doe anyone know what the highway is like from Eugene OR to Reno NV is like, are there mountain passes or high elevations that could be snow restricted?

Thanks,

Curt

Scott Davis
16-Sep-2011, 13:14
Guys- too bad you couldn't have planned it for the following weekend - then I could have piggy-backed this off the Columbus Day holiday and joined you. I would have loved to have come along on this - it sounds like a lot of fun.

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Sep-2011, 18:10
Curt, you should be okay. I'm not real sure but the roads are generally open unless it decides to dump big time.

Scott, Matt and I just get these ideas and say to each other let's just go! We decided to let everyone know where we were going to be. People have said to me in the past "why didn't you let me know." I hope as many photographers as possible can join us. We always have a great time.

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Sep-2011, 07:26
Here is some food for thought. I was asked to post some images from past trips. Some fall color in B&W

Curt
18-Sep-2011, 02:44
Out of curiosity is any one coming from or going to Yosemite?

Jim Fitzgerald
18-Sep-2011, 07:02
For me it will depend on the time and the weather. When we camp at the Aspens campground we are almost there. Maybe 1/2 an hour to the park. A day in Yosemite could be good. One of the images I posted is of Tenaya Lake in the park.

Curt
18-Sep-2011, 22:53
Weather ;) what weather?

Curt
20-Sep-2011, 08:29
Hi Matt, any idea how many people will be there? Were you able to talk to the owner of the park yet?

Curt

matthew blais
20-Sep-2011, 08:36
I'll post an update soon..

Tri Tran
20-Sep-2011, 09:29
Hi Jim, Mat,
Nice to see some fall images with B&W. Great place for photo trip and for best friends to hang out . Have a safe trip and come home with a tone of great pictures.

matthew blais
20-Sep-2011, 10:49
Please update me on your attendance and info please...click the link to download PDF of info I have as of today. Thanks
OWENS UPDATE (http://matthewblaisphotography.com/OwensV2011)

I know...I spelled "together" wrong..Oh well..

Curt
20-Sep-2011, 10:57
Matt, I'm in for camping, rental car, the entire time, and can share a site with Michael Clark.

Curt

Michael Clark
20-Sep-2011, 13:46
That's good Curt,I'm thinking of getting there Friday but not sure. I'll hold a spot for ya!!

Mike

Curt
20-Sep-2011, 14:27
That's good Curt,I'm thinking of getting there Friday but not sure. I'll hold a spot for ya!!

Mike

Friday would be fine for me also Mike.

matthew blais
20-Sep-2011, 14:53
Curt, Mike, please send me an email with the info on you if any is missing.
Thanks

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Sep-2011, 17:44
Guys, clink link..... update....done. We are trying to make sure we "get together" instead of driving around curious as to where everyone is!

matthew blais
29-Sep-2011, 06:34
Heading out tomorrow...
Have 12 people coming, (one maybe) so contact me if you're going to show up please..

Michael Clark
29-Sep-2011, 22:32
I'm leaving tomorrow also Matt, lets see who gets there first,got a white 2.3 liter Isuzu 5 on the floor with blue camper shell. If you see a white and blue streak pass you, it probably won't be me.
Mike

Jim Fitzgerald
30-Sep-2011, 05:53
Leaving today also. YES!!!

Tri Tran
30-Sep-2011, 06:14
Have a safe trip jim, Mat. keep us updated when you get back. Take good care of your 4 big boys :)

Jim Fitzgerald
30-Sep-2011, 08:15
Tri, Oh yeah! Heading out right now.

dsphotog
30-Sep-2011, 22:43
A friend called me today from Mono Lake, reported thunderstorms, lightning strikes near the lake, and excellent clouds...
Happy shooting! Wish I was there!