PDA

View Full Version : Which RRS Arca Swiss style Q/R plate for Ebony SV45U

Bulent Ozgoren
17-Apr-2002, 07:33
I would like to know if anyone knows which Really Right Stuff (RRS) mounting pla te is right for Ebony SV45U. I prefer the largest plate possible. Thank you all in advance.

Ellis Vener
17-Apr-2002, 10:12
brian geyer at Really Right Stuff knows. Call heim.

Georges Pelpel
17-Apr-2002, 10:48
I am using an LP-35 plate from Kirk Photo on my Wisner PE. It is 5" long and works great. Should fit your Ebony. I recommend you have 2 tripod sockets on your camera. It makes the long plate a lot more stable.

Georges Pelpel
17-Apr-2002, 12:50
In response to Michael I agree there's a certain risk about forgetting to tighten the knob but the risk of having the camera fall is greatly reduced when using a long plate (4" to 5"). Tightening the knob is very quickly become a reflex and the advantage of using a long plate overcomes any inconvenience. The long plate allows you to position of center of gravity of the camera/lens combo just above the tripod head axis for better stability. It is very useful when using heavy lenses such as the 360 or 400 teles.

tim atherton
17-Apr-2002, 12:55
are we talking personal experience here.... It is a bit of a stretch for this to happen - I've uses my Toyo 4x5A, Super Graphic and Deardorff all monted on plates and an Arca ball head and never remotely come close to this problem.

tim

tim atherton
17-Apr-2002, 13:23
Hi Michael,

Personally, I've had the tripod screw loosen on me many more times (especially carrying the setup around over my shoulder) than I've come close to undoing the release plate. I guess there's potential either way

tim

Steve Hamley
17-Apr-2002, 15:08
Bulent,

I'm at work now but I have the RRS-recommended plate on the Ebony SV45U. It is a rather small plate, but it does have a 3/8-16 screw instead of the usual 1/4-20, which makes me at least feel a lot better. Remember, the plate itself doesn't hold anything, the screw does. I'll post the part number when I get home.

Thanks!

Steve

heidis
17-Apr-2002, 16:30
I've commented to Bulent via email that IMO the best plate by far is the Wimberley P50. While I use RRS plates for most of my equipment, their recommended plate is a small rectangle with a single screw. It swivels and twists, and is not a good solution...I formerly used one, and happily gave it up in favor of the Wimberley.

The Wimberley plate is intended for 35mm super-tele lenses, and is the perfect choice for 4x5 if your camera can be attached by two screws (as is true for Ebony). The plate is about 6" long; since it provides two screws, it cannot slip or swivel on the camera. It also has a built-in bonus due to its length, since one can adjust the exact positioning of the camera from front-to-back on the tripod head. You can reposition your camera at its ideal center of gravity when using a heavy lens or lots of bellows extention, or use it as you would use a focusing rail for closeup work.

You can get Wimberley plates from B&H or by going to www.naturephotographers.net's "gift shop" page.

Regards, Danny www.dannyburk.com

Steve Hamley
17-Apr-2002, 17:14
Bulent

The RRS plate is a B22, 55 USD. The Ebony SV45U has only one mounting screw, either 3/8-16 or 1/4-20 with insert. The bottom plate of the Ebony is mounted on top of the wood, so any plate wider than the bottom plate is useless because it will not be in contact with the camera. A RRS B-29 plate looks the same except longer (and will be in contact with the bottom plate) and still uses the 3/8-16 screw. Both the B-22 and B-29 have the anti-twist lip.

I wouldn't mind having a bigger plate myself, but the RRS anti twist lip works and I'd rather have the 3/8-16 screw securing it than a larger plate with a 1/4-20. The Arca-Swiss universal plate with 1/4- 20 screw also has a large groove in the middle which doesn't contact the camera bottom plate, and it will twist on the SV45U, I've tried it. Two screws would be better, but it isn't going to happen.

Thanks!

Steve

heidis
17-Apr-2002, 20:16
Hmm, I have an SV45U2, but I'd be surprised if Ebony uses a special 2- screw plate for it alone when it's otherwise very similar to SV45U. Perhaps Ebony has changed their plate style over time; my camera is not quite 2 years old and it definitely has two screw holes!

I don't remember the model of the RRS plate that I formerly used, but it didn't have an anti-twist lip. It was completely flat on both sides, and would periodically need to be re-tightened lest it come loose. On one occasion it did come entirely loose, ending shooting for the rest of the day since that was naturally the one time that I didn't have the necessary Allen wrench with me :(

Bulent Ozgoren
24-Apr-2002, 06:05
Thank you all for your contributions. I could not reply any earlier due to health reasons. I learned that there is only one screw hole on the SV45U, the size is 3/8. I am waiting a reply from RRS as which model plate is suitable. I'll let you know as soon as I find out. Best regards. Bulent

Lars Åke Vinberg
24-Apr-2002, 15:55
As a data point, I use and can recommend a RRS B29 plate for my Ebony SW23 (used to use that plate on a Toyo 45 AX). The SW23 base plate is 57mm (2.25") square.

Titanium seems to be a high-friction metal (unlike brass), so when tightened the plate is completely rigidly mounted, will not slip for any lesser force than will likely break the camera. Even without using the lip of the plate there is zero slippage.

?ke

Bulent Ozgoren
26-Apr-2002, 03:16
Ake Thank you for your post. I gather B29 is the popular model for Ebony SV45U and will eventually order one. Best regards Bulent Ozgoren