PDA

View Full Version : Need a lens for the Sinar Alpina (landscapes and portraits)

lawnboyTN
5-Sep-2011, 16:42
I just purchased a Sinar Alpina with a hard case and one film holder. I need to purchase a lens and lens board for this camera. I was wanting something around a 90 f4, but from what I'm reading do I need to get something in the 135 range for landscapes and portraits? Did I read somewhere that the frame rails on the Alpina were to short for the 90? I'm shopping on KEH but wouldn't know what lens or lens board to purchase for the Sinar. I already shoot medium format (Hasselblad 500c/m) but would like to start into large format. Thanks

RPippin
6-Sep-2011, 13:34
Pick up a 180 or 210 for landscapes from KEH. They have the best prices around and don't be afraid of their BGN rating. Any Sinar lens board will work for the camera, you just need the proper size for the shutter and lens. Have fun, my first LF camera was an Alpina, I still have it.

cdholden
6-Sep-2011, 13:54
RPippin,
Any Sinar lensboard works? Are the Norma and the F/P boards compatible?

lawnboyTN,
I've got a Sinar P. If it works with yours and if the TN in your name means anywhere around Nashville, I've got a few lenses you could try before committing to a purchase.

rdenney
6-Sep-2011, 14:03
RPippin,

Yes. Sinar has only used one lensboard design for their whole history.

The Alpina differs from a standard Sinar only in that it does not use the round monorail, but rather has it's own monorail design. All other parts are Sinar-modular.

(I would use a 180 or 210 for portraits, and a 120 for landscapes, if I had to live with only two. If I had to live with one, it would probably be a 180, but I would miss having a wider option.)

Rick "who would be floored if the Alpina didn't accommodate a 65mm lens (with proper bellows), let alone a 90" Denney

engl
6-Sep-2011, 14:07
A 135mm lens would be shorter than what most people use for portraits, more common choices would be something around 180-240mm. Lenses for landscape are anything from 47mm to 600mm, but I'd say the 90-150mm range is quite common.

I'd recommend you to get two lenses, the 90mm you want for landscape, and something like a 203/7.7 Ektar for portraits, it won't break the bank.

lawnboyTN
6-Sep-2011, 15:59
RPippin,

lawnboyTN,
I've got a Sinar P. If it works with yours and if the TN in your name means anywhere around Nashville, I've got a few lenses you could try before committing to a purchase.

I do live in Nashville (West side on Charlotte Pike) Would love to have someone close by to pick their brains. cell# 61five-five33-five988

Thanks

Scott Davis
7-Sep-2011, 09:12
I had an Alpina. If you have the bag bellows, you can use a 75 on it if you want, and a 90 is no problem. You can probably focus the 90 to infinity with the standard bellows, but you'll not be able to get movements out of it. My "Normal" lens for it was the 210, which made a great length for portraits as well as all-around shooting.

Jerry Flynn
7-Sep-2011, 09:29
I also had an A1 - essentially the same camera. It will accept most non-rail accessories. They may be as scarce as hen's teeth, but I had a 6" rail extension for close-up and longer focal length lenses.

I have used the 180 the most as a all-purpose lens. It worked out great on the A1.

Ivan J. Eberle
7-Sep-2011, 09:41
One of the best bargains in LF is the 210mm Caltar IIN f/5.6 which (besides the engraving) is identical to the Rodenstock APO Sironar N. This lens has a very generous image circle of 301mm that will let you freely exploit camera moves and it's commonly found and selling for under $200 used in Excellent+ to Mint condition. A Sinar Sinaron version was available too and of course the APO Sironar N will do just as well, but these tend to fetch a little more due to name recognition.

lawnboyTN
7-Sep-2011, 15:08
Thanks you all for all the information, this will help.

mike rosenlof
7-Sep-2011, 16:17
My first LF camera was an A-1, not much different from the Alpina as I understand. As said, any lensboard for Sinar is fine. KEH BGN is great for lensboards. You can always touch them up with black paint or markers if there are some shiny spots.

KEH lists hole sizes on lensboards. A copal #0 is 34.7mm, a #1 is 41.8 mm. #3 is 65.8 mm. Don't fret the fractions of mm too much. You'll probably find both 34 and 35mm listed for #0 shutters, for example.

The shortest lens I used on the A-1 was a 125mm. Usually on the short end the bellows are the limiting factor, not the rail.

135mm is shorter than is common for head and shoulder portraits, but can work quite well for environmental portraiture. (people in a room, for example)

Have fun!

Adamphotoman
13-Sep-2011, 19:45
My first LF camera was a brand new Alpina. This camera takes a bit of care because it is stripped down, and lightweight. I used a 150mm to begin with. I did own the 6 inch extention rail so I used a 305 G Claron on a customized lens board. The problem was that the lens was cantilevered out over the front and exerted too much stress on the clips which held the lens board in. I purchased beefier clips for a P2 and this fixed the problem.

So I would suggest a 210 or 180. Smaller lighter. A good camera depending on the application.
Grant

lawnboyTN
14-Sep-2011, 18:08
thanks guys, good information.