PDA

View Full Version : EFKE25 + Rodinal (Dilution?) + Rotary (time?)

l2oBiN
4-Sep-2011, 02:17
I have a couple of sheets of Efke25 which i would like to develop using rodinal. I would lie a fairly flat negative (for scanning). Do you have a suggestion on the rordinal dilution and the continuous agitation time as a starting point??

Thank you in advance

vinny
4-Sep-2011, 07:48
use digital truth's massive development chart's times.

l2oBiN
5-Sep-2011, 10:23
The massive dev chart seems very variable when it comes to developing with this film/developer, and it does not appear to have any clues on the rotary processing...

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Efke+25&Developer=Rodinal&mdc=Search

Rodinal itself does not appear to have any info for this film..

Efke 25, does have a suggestion.. 1+12 for 6min @ 20degrees, but this seems so far from the massive dev chart that I am not so sure about it being right for rotary development..

again I am looking for rotary development times and developer dilution which will produce a nice negative to scan...

vinny
5-Sep-2011, 11:21
I use the same times for my jobo as other developing methods. Jobo says reduce development by a small percentage but that doesn't work for me. You didn't say what kind of rotary development you are using ie speeds, etc. Not that it matters. You also didn't say what kind of scanner you're using.
Shoot three sheets, develop for 6, 8, and 10 minutes or something close to that and pic the neg that scans the best. I use efke 25 rated at 25 in rodinal @ 1:50 for 8 minutes just as digital truth's site recommends. Negs scan and print just fine.

l2oBiN
5-Sep-2011, 11:34
...You didn't say what kind of rotary development you are using ie speeds, etc.

Jobo 3010 on a cibachrome motor base.

...what kind of scanner [are] you're using.

Epson V700

Shoot three sheets, develop for 6, 8, and 10 minutes or something close to that and pic the neg that scans the best. I use efke 25 rated at 25 in rodinal @ 1:50 for 8 minutes just as digital truth's site recommends.

Thank you.

Vinny, have you tried other concentrations of rodinal?

vinny
5-Sep-2011, 12:00
Not for this film, see no reason to. A higher concentration would result in too short of a development time especially when it comes to minus development. A lower concentration requires pretty accurate measurements and that's hard to do when you've been drinking (as I usually am while in the dark).

Roger Cole
5-Sep-2011, 12:11
I use the same times for my jobo as other developing methods. Jobo says reduce development by a small percentage but that doesn't work for me. You didn't say what kind of rotary development you are using ie speeds, etc. Not that it matters. You also didn't say what kind of scanner you're using.
Shoot three sheets, develop for 6, 8, and 10 minutes or something close to that and pic the neg that scans the best. I use efke 25 rated at 25 in rodinal @ 1:50 for 8 minutes just as digital truth's site recommends. Negs scan and print just fine.

Years ago when I first got my Jobo (late 90s) I read somewhere that the contrast increase from constant agitation was almost exactly balanced out by reduction in development from a 5 minute pre-soak. I'm not sure about the theory and whether a pre-soak does or doesn't do this, but I started using it that way, it's worked for me, so I've continued doing that. I just use the five minute water pre-soak and then the times for normal development.

l2oBiN
5-Sep-2011, 12:12
Is there a minimum amount of concentrate/sheet of 4x5? (the jobo 3010 holds 10 sheets).

In the specifications sheet it says oohing about capacity...

http://www.maco-photo.de/files/images/AFRO11.pdf

vinny
5-Sep-2011, 12:44
I always use 500ml on the 3010 tanks for b+w. Rodinal isn't the best developer for rotary processing. You can use 250ml for 1/2 the time and 250ml for the other half to reduce the effects of developer exhaustion.