PDA

View Full Version : Curious...Copal 2?

biedron
3-Sep-2011, 19:38
Lots of lenses with Copal 0 and Copal 1 shutters, and some larger ones in Copal 3

Whatever happened to Copal 2? I'm fairly new to LF but I don't think I have ever seen a lens with a Copal 2 shutter.

Bob

Jim Galli
3-Sep-2011, 19:43
Lots of lenses with Copal 0 and Copal 1 shutters, and some larger ones in Copal 3

Whatever happened to Copal 2? I'm fairly new to LF but I don't think I have ever seen a lens with a Copal 2 shutter.

Bob

The Germans are the folk who began the numbering system we still use. Compur shutters came in 00, 0, 1, 2, and 3. The Compur 2 became obsolete in the mid 1960's. After that we just had the 00, 0, 1, and 3. Compur 2 did fall nicely in the middle. There never was a Copal 2. At least I've never seen one.

Fotoguy20d
3-Sep-2011, 19:58
And Compur #2 is a very inconsistent thing. I have several and no two are the same. I'm trying to find one to fit a Symmar 240/420. Closest so far was the one from a Kodak Anastigmat. Front fit perfectly. The opening in the back was too large. But, unsurprisingly, the #2 with a Steinheil Unofokal 150mm f4.5 was too small all around. I have another with a no name lens on its way from ebay - maybe I'll get lucky this time.

Dan

Frank Petronio
3-Sep-2011, 20:16
Back in the day, Hitler kept all the #2s for himself.

Two23
4-Sep-2011, 07:26
Back in the day, Hitler kept all the #2s for himself.

Yes. They were kept in an underground facility along with stolen French art. The Russians found them and hauled them back to a factory in central Russia with the idea of copying them and flooding the market. Unfortunately Stalin thought the shutters were really secret spy devices and ordered them buried at an unmarked location in Siberia. They will someday be found by archeaologists, who will proclai they've found a great treasure of religious artifacts from our time period.

Kent in SD