PDA

View Full Version : Goerz Hypergon 75mm w/fan Use

Geoffrey_5995
1-Sep-2011, 10:52
I recently acquired a Goerz Hypergon 75mm lens that I am in the process of mounting so I can start shooting with it. This is the model that has the dispersion fan and a field of view of 130º. I'm seeking information from forum members who have mounted and shot with this lens before mounting it myself to avoid pitfalls. The extreme wide angle of this lens makes it a special case of usage with the need to get fingers and feet out of the way before exposure. I am planning on mounting this on an Arca Swiss 8x10 F-Line camera with a bag bellows. Because of the short focal length of this lens this seems the best choice as I can get the front and rear standards close enough to reach infinity. I'm not expecting to need much movements due to the extreme depth of field of this lens but I will get some movements especially rise but less movements if using a flat board, and more movements if using a recessed board. I could mount it on a recessed lens board or a flat board but worry about the recessed board getting in the way of the field or making it difficult to get to the controls of the lens. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Geoff

sanchi heuser
1-Sep-2011, 11:59
Hi,

interessting found, congrats.
Some info:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=5099
http://www.cliveruss.com/classiclns/hypergon150/hypergon.html

TheDeardorffGuy
1-Sep-2011, 13:58
Back in the early 2000s I was able to borrow a 75mm for a few months. You mention movements. WHY? (not yelling just surprised) Square it up on all planes and shoot away. The spinning of the blades is a trick to learn. I used two air hoses. One for the "puff", the other was hooked to a DeGroff air release that moved the latch to release the blades arm. The hoses were taped to the tripod. This provided a vibrationless exposure. I got some neat shots. Since this was a sky/cloud lens originally I found that shooting from the top of a building gave the best results. Play with it you will have fun.

Mark Sampson
1-Sep-2011, 14:17
there's also info about this lens at www.cameraquest.com.

Geoffrey_5995
1-Sep-2011, 16:10
Great information. Thanks all but any more info would be appreciated.

Jim Noel
2-Sep-2011, 09:26
You must use a flat board rather than a recessed board.
The back must be precisely vertical or you will get some really out of the world views.
The lens board needs to be moved forward to the very front of the rail if you don't want the rail in the photograph.
Other than that, it is a piece of cake.
Oh, and have some ND filters ready , or use a very slow, ISO 25 speed, film if in bright sun.

Geoffrey_5995
2-Sep-2011, 09:34
You must use a flat board rather than a recessed board.
The back must be precisely vertical or you will get some really out of the world views.
The lens board needs to be moved forward to the very front of the rail if you don't want the rail in the photograph.
Other than that, it is a piece of cake.
Oh, and have some ND filters ready , or use a very slow, ISO 25 speed, film if in bright sun.
Joel, This is the info I was looking for. I suspected the flat lens board would be the way to go. I have already set up the Arca Swiss 8x10 on a very short 15 cm rail with a bag bellow making it a very compact kit. I was unsure about using a recessed or flat board but you have confirmed the flat board is best. Thanks for the info, Geoff

Geoffrey_5995
2-Sep-2011, 11:40
Sorry, I meant Jim!

TheDeardorffGuy
4-Sep-2011, 17:11
I'm joking here but the Hypergon is one of those lenses that can nearly see behind itself!! When I used it on my Deardorff I kept getting a image of the locking knob for the front panel. So I had to make a board that put the lens forward 5/16 in. That kept everything out of the way. Good luck and keep an eye on the Tripod feet........

tonkhang
4-Sep-2011, 17:37
I have 1 hypergon 150mm and Chamonix build for me one 16x20 camera specially for this
lens. It's well made.
I am trying to learn how to shoot with this lens.

Geoffrey_5995
4-Sep-2011, 20:44
I have 1 hypergon 150mm and Chamonix build for me one 16x20 camera specially for this
lens. It's well made.
I am trying to learn how to shoot with this lens.

Hi Tonk, I am still working to use my 75mm on 8x10. From what I've learned, some of it by the generous posts of LFPF forum members, there is a lot to consider when using this lens. One of the problems is dealing with foreground and getting high enough to control too much foreground. I will be shooting mostly cityscapes so I'm scouting locations where I can get high enough. I also need to make a lens cap for exposures but I'm also considering a Packard mounted on the back of the board but I'm thinking simpler is better. Using low ASA film with help out to get the exposures long enough to be able to work the fan and lens cap. I'm curious to see pictures of your camera and set up and of course some pictures taken with it. Have you made any pictures with it yet? Geoff

tonkhang
5-Sep-2011, 07:44
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6030/5989125378_5643792260.jpg

Hi Geoffrey .. this is my Hypergon 150mm and the 16x20 Chamonix camera

Geoffrey_5995
5-Sep-2011, 10:08
I'm joking here but the Hypergon is one of those lenses that can nearly see behind itself!! When I used it on my Deardorff I kept getting a image of the locking knob for the front panel. So I had to make a board that put the lens forward 5/16 in. That kept everything out of the way. Good luck and keep an eye on the Tripod feet........

Hi Ken, Your advice is taken to heart. I am already worried about the extreme coverage of this lens and hope I will not also be taking a picture of the back of my head! I've opted out of the recessed lens board but I am worried that the knobs on the Arca front standard will get in the way. Geoff

Mark Sampson
5-Sep-2011, 11:07
I used a Widelux panoramic 35mm some years back. I found out rather quickly that it did just one thing, and that if I wanted successful pictures, I'd better learn to see the way that the camera did. Sounds like the Hypergon will be similar. When you get yours working, please post some pictures taken with it. I'm sure we'd all be very interested in your results.

Geoffrey_5995
5-Sep-2011, 18:37
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6030/5989125378_5643792260.jpg

Hi Geoffrey .. this is my Hypergon 150mm and the 16x20 Chamonix camera

Beautiful camera, making me think I should have one made for my 75mm. How much did it cost to have made? Geoff

Geoffrey_5995
5-Sep-2011, 19:21
I used a Widelux panoramic 35mm some years back. I found out rather quickly that it did just one thing, and that if I wanted successful pictures, I'd better learn to see the way that the camera did. Sounds like the Hypergon will be similar. When you get yours working, please post some pictures taken with it. I'm sure we'd all be very interested in your results.

Mark, Goerz describes the Hypergon as a "special lens for wide angle interiors, landscapes, architectural and panoramic pictures and it should not be purchased with the idea that it can be used as a lens for general photography." They tell you what its use is but not how to use it and you are correct that it is not a lens you control but that controls you. I think that the placement of the camera is key to be able to get the subject where you want it. This means getting as high as possible to deal with the looming foreground. Pointing the camera upward will only create distortion so it's to be avoided. Certainly, it will take some experimentation to learn how to use this lens and I will post the results as I get them. Geoff

Tin Can
14-Dec-2023, 05:05
Good luck to all

I’m sitting this out

I am playing with 7.5 mm DIGI

Tin Can
14-Dec-2023, 07:28
Good luck to all

I’m sitting this out

I am playing with 7.5 mm DIGI