PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technika backup bellows and other practical questions...

Noah A
1-Sep-2011, 06:15
I've been shooting with a Linhof Master Technika 2000 for a few months now and it's a real pleasure. I got it as a more portable (and occasionally hand-holdable) supplement to my Technikardan.

I have a few practical matters that I'm sure have been figured out by the many Technika users out there.

First of all, I find the universal bellows to be great, it's nice not to have to change to a bag bellows and I still get decent movements out of my wide lenses. However the fact that it's not interchangeable worries me a bit. I have some trips coming up and I'll probably take the Technika. So I worry about what might happen if I'm in Mumbai or Lagos and my bellows is damaged (probably due to user error or accident). Do any of you Technika shooters carry a spare bellows? Is it hard to change if I were to carry the correct tools? (And what are the correct tools, it appears to be just a screwdriver?)

If such an accident occurred, I'd probably send the whole camera to Marflex upon my return for a cla and a new factory bellows, so would it be smarter to buy a cheaper one from china or from camera bellows to use as an interim/backup?

The only other issue I have is that the camera has no built-in levels. I have tried a shoe-mount level I used to use with my Mamiya 7 but it's not terribly accurate. I assume if I ordered some Technikardan levels from Marflex and mounted them to the top of my camera that it would be a cardinal sin and would reduce the value of the camera. It may also interfere with the W/A flap and with mounting the camera upside-down which I do for front fall.

So what do you folks use to level the camera? I've been carrying a small (8-inch) torpedo level which works fine but is a bit large to carry. It can also be difficult to use for fore-aft leveling with lens rise or when shooting verticals (since the front standard and/or gg back is higher the body so the level doesn't sit against it properly.

Are any of the shoe-mount levels any good? Or do most of you just carry separate levels?

Cor
1-Sep-2011, 06:36
Noah,

cannot help you on the bellows (on my ancient Tech III it does not look easy to remove them, but luckily they are still in a great shape, even after 57 years).

On the levels: the other day I read this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=78766), the consensus seems to lean towards having a nice grid on your ground glass and use the grid lines to level..

Best,

Cor

Richard Wasserman
1-Sep-2011, 07:30
I thought back pockets were invented to hold levels when they are not in use.....

I just had a new set of Chinese bellows installed in my Horseman 45FA by Bob Watkins. I had hoped that Camera Bellows could make a replacement, but the pleats were too small for them, and I wanted something sturdier than the OEM paper ones. Anyway, I think my camera is somewhat similar to yours, and after looking at it and talking to Bob, I don't think it's a DIY project. The camera needs to be disassembled, the new bellows glued (and maybe trimmed first). I would leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. Marflex would be the best of course. Just my opinion....

Noah A
1-Sep-2011, 08:10
Yeah, maybe using the grid lines and a small level in my pocket is best. The one I have is a bit large and doesn't always sit flat on top of the camera so that's the main problem really. If I could find one that is 2-3 inches long that may be better. I was just wondering what other Technika (or I guess other field camera) users do.

Richard--I've used Bob Watkins for lots of repairs and he's a great craftsman. But I'm not talking about routine bellows replacement, I'm wondering what I could do if I'm shooting in Lagos and I push the front rise a little too far and damage the bellows. Or if the camera gets knocked over, etc... I'm pretty sure I can't afford to hire Bob or Martin at Marflex to accompany me on my trip, so there must be some other option.

How are you finding the Chinese bellows?

ic-racer
1-Sep-2011, 08:18
I just had a new set of Chinese bellows installed in my Horseman 45FA by Bob Watkins. I had hoped that Camera Bellows could make a replacement, but the pleats were too small for them,

So you like the Chinese bellows? My FA came to me with somewhat beatup-but-light-tight bellows and I want to change it some day.

Richard Wasserman
1-Sep-2011, 08:56
Noah, A roll of your favorite tape might be your best friend. I can't imagine if your bellows are installed anything like mine, doing it myself.

ic-racer, I haven't used the new bellows extensively, but they seem to be fine. They are not quite as flexible as the originals, but since the movements on an FA aren't extensive I don't see any problem. That said, I don't use very wide lenses and don't know how they would perform with anything wider than about 90mm.

Ari
1-Sep-2011, 09:03
Noah,

Get the Chinese bellows; they are cheap but well-made, and in a worst-case scenario, you can replace your entire bellows. Buy some contact cement or whatever you can find after you arrive.

Bring black cloth tape; in an almost-best-case scenario, your bellows might need a little patching up; this will work in a pinch, and you won't have to cancel the rest of the day's shoot.

Bring a small screwdriver set, not the cheap-o $1-store kind, a quality kit.
I have a slightly different version of this, except all the bits fit into the driver body; it's as big as two ball-point pens:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/HandTools/ScrewdriverSets/PRD~0573519P/Mastercraft+Heavy-Duty+Precision+Screwdriver+Set%2C+35-piece.jsp?locale=en

Finally, if you need to level, this can be your best friend:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/page.aspx?p=48816&cat=4,104,53218

Jeff Bannow
1-Sep-2011, 09:04
If you're concerned about damaging the bellows, then you should probably be worried about damaging the rest. What about the ground glass, frame, etc.?

The best option would be to have a backup camera entirely. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something to keep in the suitcase in case of emergency.

Daniel Stone
1-Sep-2011, 09:08
Unless you know you'll be shooting handheld, why not just take the Technikardan instead? It has interchangeable bellows, yes? Bring a spare set of whatever ones you use most of the time...

-Dan

Bob Salomon
1-Sep-2011, 09:12
Don't worry about the bellows unless you are in a knife attack or caught in a shoot-out.
As for the level, Linhof and Novoflex both sell a very nice 2-way bubble level. Either one, in conjunction to grid lines on the gg will easily do the job. If you don't want to pay for the Linhof or Novoflex levels then you can get the Kaiser version. And next month there will also be Gepe 2-way and 3-way ones at even lower prices.

Frank Petronio
1-Sep-2011, 10:24
Wait... the IV and V have a circular level on top, why don't the later cameras?

I think these small levels are only good for roughing in anyway, you'd be better off relying on the ground glass for final adjustments. And/or getting a really nice level long enough that it can hit your ground glass and the front rim of your lens.

As for the bellows, the Chinese ones are good quality for the bellows but the attachment can be painful. I really would spring for the Linhof OEM unless the camera is a cheap beater. If you do go with a Chinese bellows, you will need contact cement, some black Silicone sealer, a scraping blade to remove old gunk, small screwdrivers for the frames, and a really sharp blade or tiny scissors to cut the material away. The ads and online directions for the Chinese bellows are not exactly what you get - what you really just get a fabric bellows (well made, good material actually) with some extra material at the ends and you need to use common sense and hand skills to get the frames on and installed properly. It is thicker than the Linhof bellows and the ends around the frames are a bit fatter and less elegant because of this. In use, they work fine, seem flexible and strong. The pleats are fine.

Another cheap bellows, if you only need 12", is to steal one from a Crown Graphic.

Actually for the cost of a bellows, why not just get a Crown Graphic as a back-up? They might not look so cool but they work wonderfully....

Jeff Bannow
1-Sep-2011, 10:46
Actually for the cost of a bellows, why not just get a Crown Graphic as a back-up? They might not look so cool but they work wonderfully....

That sounds like a good plan to me too. Don't forget a little lens spanner thingie and a lens board or 2 for the Crown too.

Frank Bunnik
1-Sep-2011, 11:12
The previous owner of my Master Technika glued 2 spirit levels on the left top of the camera just behind the flap. The flap opens as it should and it works great. He also removed the Linhof logo from the lens boards of the 90mm and the 210 and glued a spirit level in it's place (with the tube facing forwards).

www.frankbunnik.zenfolio.com

Noah A
1-Sep-2011, 12:55
Don't worry about the bellows unless you are in a knife attack or caught in a shoot-out....

Don't joke, this isn't out of the realm of possibility and it wouldn't be the first time. Of of course in these situations safety is more important than camera gear. But I'm traveling on a fellowship and I have to come back with work, not excuses.

I think the Technika is built like a tank and could probably survive quite a bit of abuse. The weak spots are seemingly the bellows and the groundglass. I'm not saying they're weaker than any other groundglass or bellows, they may well be durable enough to last a lifetime. But if something's gonna break, it's probably going to be the glass or soft fabric/plastic/leather bits. (Come to think of it, what is the current Technika bellows made of?)

I was planning on traveling with an extra groundglass and perhaps an extra bellows, some quality tools and perhaps double-stick tape would work for the bellows replacement instead of contact cement (which I'd have to waste time tracking down). I always have some extra gaffer tape around a tripod leg for minor repairs.

I guess the Technikardan is better because of the replaceable bellows, but it doesn't seem as tough as the MT2000 and the entire reason I got the Technika was for traveling light. It's quite a bit smaller than the TK45S. I like the TK45S and will continue to use it, but the MT2000 is just one of those cameras that feels perfect in use.

Bob Salomon
1-Sep-2011, 13:46
Don't joke, this isn't out of the realm of possibility and it wouldn't be the first time. Of of course in these situations safety is more important than camera gear. But I'm traveling on a fellowship and I have to come back with work, not excuses.

I think the Technika is built like a tank and could probably survive quite a bit of abuse. The weak spots are seemingly the bellows and the groundglass. I'm not saying they're weaker than any other groundglass or bellows, they may well be durable enough to last a lifetime. But if something's gonna break, it's probably going to be the glass or soft fabric/plastic/leather bits. (Come to think of it, what is the current Technika bellows made of?)

I was planning on traveling with an extra groundglass and perhaps an extra bellows, some quality tools and perhaps double-stick tape would work for the bellows replacement instead of contact cement (which I'd have to waste time tracking down). I always have some extra gaffer tape around a tripod leg for minor repairs.

I guess the Technikardan is better because of the replaceable bellows, but it doesn't seem as tough as the MT2000 and the entire reason I got the Technika was for traveling light. It's quite a bit smaller than the TK45S. I like the TK45S and will continue to use it, but the MT2000 is just one of those cameras that feels perfect in use.

Noah,
The TK is every bit as rugged, maybe more so because there are no small gears and levers. Much simpler design.
I would be more worried about the gg and Fresnel then a bellows. I can't remember the last emergency bellows call. I do remember Bruce Barnbaum's emergency call when the hinge on the drop bed of his Master broke. That was so rare that the factory didn't even keep spares in house. They had to pull a drop bed off the production line, air it to us and make one fewer cameras in that run!
In short, anything can happen. But you can't carry every part.
Check with Marflex for the current bellows composition. We don't handle the replacement bellows. Marflex does.
And Linhof does have distributors world wide so if you were in a jam in Africa you can always contact the South African distributor or any of the southern European or middle East distributors.

Brian Ellis
1-Sep-2011, 18:19
I had several problems with my Master and my Tech V, some caused by me some just a camera malfunction. The worst was when a gust of wind blew the tripod and camera over with the camera open and the bellows almost fully extended. That wrecked the back but the bellows was fine. I wouldn't worry about it, like someone else suggested just bring some tape.

Frank Petronio
1-Sep-2011, 18:44
The folding focusing hood does a real nice job of protecting the ground glass, you'd have to be trying hard to break it. I think some people overtighten the metal holding the glass and then it might crack.

I've also seen the springs break on the back on BEATER old IVs and such, so it you really are paranoid, get an entire back.

Really though, the main thing is probably theft, so having a Crown or something usable that your homeboys could ship to you might be the best back-up... since thieves and accidents could cause you to lose your back-up anyway.

Bill_1856
1-Sep-2011, 19:59
My (lightly used) Tech IV is on its third factory bellows, and my repairman said that replacing the last one was a real job!
I would not trust going on a significant shoot with it unless there was good access to competent repair services. If you HAVE to take the Technika, definitely carry a spare bellows (and a roll of black tape).

Noah A
4-Sep-2011, 09:12
Interesting idea about a beater backup body.

I know nothing about Crown graphics...I mean I certainly know what they were used for and I've seen some photos of really beautiful stripped down Graphics online.

Are they nice and rigid? How much front rise can I get? Are replacement bellows available? Any reason I can't hang a 115 Grandagon off of one?

Frank Petronio
4-Sep-2011, 09:53
The front of a Crown is sheet metal, not as rigid as a Linhof but completely serviceable. Don't quote me but I think you only have an inch of rise (I don't currently own one) and, of course, no direct front tilt or any rear movements. You can, however, close it up with a 180 Rodenstock in a Copal 1 or a 75/6.8 Grandagon - something the Tech won't do.

A heavy 90/4.5 or 115/6.8 will challenge the front rise but it can be done. Sometimes you have to screw in the rear element doggy-style ;-p

The bellows is only 12" and synthetic and practically indestructible. It's heavier than the Linhof and doesn't compress as tightly, thus it is shorter.

Their build quality doesn't compare to a Linhof but there is nothing loose or sloppy about them - it is excellent engineering, in my opinion, to build something so functional and robust out of simple, inexpensive materials and assembly methods. Basically a different philosophy than Linhof's absolute overkill and elegance.

Perhaps you may want to get one complete with a 135 press lens and just set it aside, thinking that theft of your main gear is far more likely than a physical failure of some sort?

David A. Goldfarb
4-Sep-2011, 10:56
I've never damaged a bellows on any camera I've owned. I don't see why that should be a particular issue. I've bought old cameras with problematic bellows that have needed patching or replacement, but if you've got a decent bellows, you're good, and if you discover a pinhole en route, there are temporary fixes like gaffer's tape and liquid bellows patch.

GPS
4-Sep-2011, 11:07
Interesting idea about a beater backup body.

I know nothing about Crown graphics...
Are replacement bellows available? ...

Of course not! For that you really need yet another backup Crown body with no replacement bellows but possibly a backup body once more etc...
With that philosophy travelling with a camera must be real torture...;)

Noah A
4-Sep-2011, 14:57
Of course not! For that you really need yet another backup Crown body with no replacement bellows but possibly a backup body once more etc...
With that philosophy travelling with a camera must be real torture...;)

If I think about all of this too much it makes me want to stay home!

Seriously though, and I'm knocking firmly on wood as I write this, I've been all over the world and the only time I've had gear stolen was when some backup gear and a wad of cash was stolen from my hotel in Baghdad. Of course when there's no law enforcement to speak of, and when your friendly hotel clerks have a few AKs behind the check-in desk, it's smarter to just move along than raise too much of a fuss.

In Iraq I had way too much backup gear, but my paper was paying a lot of money to have me working there, so I took what they wanted me to take. Of course all of my photos were made with one Nikon DSLR and very small 20mm and 50mm prime lenses. On that same trip I hopped out of a taxi and was a bit distracted, and I accidentally threw my D1H across the pavement. But it worked fine and I used it for the rest of the trip;) .

It's nice to hear that many of you have never had a bellows problem. I haven't either, though I'm relatively new to LF. I did break a groundglass once (not on a Technika) and do plan to carry an extra. But carrying an ebay chinese bellows and a few small tools seems like cheap insurance. Frank is right that an extra beater camera is even better, but if I did get robbed I'd likely get wiped out, so I'd have to find an extra tripod, film holders, lenses, etc. Carrying two of everything is really not feasible. I like to be prepared, but it has to end somewhere.

I may still decide to pick up a crown if I can find a nice one. I have an extra 135 Apo Sironar S that I don't use as much as I should since it's so close to my 150. But I could mount it in a backup camera and throw it in my checked bag as added insurance. The only thing that's stopping me is the limited front rise.

I wouldn't worry so much but these trips are funded by a grant, so feel more responsibility than normal to come back with the goods.

Brian Ellis
4-Sep-2011, 18:15
My (lightly used) Tech IV is on its third factory bellows, and my repairman said that replacing the last one was a real job!
I would not trust going on a significant shoot with it unless there was good access to competent repair services. If you HAVE to take the Technika, definitely carry a spare bellows (and a roll of black tape).

Just curious - third factory bellows in how many years? And what's been the problem with the previous two? And why was the last one any more difficult (i.e. a "real job") than the previous one?

If I really thought a Technika bellows was so problematical that I wouldn't go on a "significant shoot" without carrying a spare with me and also having to ensure that I had access to a competent repair service I wouldn't buy a Technika camera in the first place. And if I did mistakenly buy one and was that concerned about the bellows I'd carry an entire spare camera with me, not just a spare bellows.

Ivan J. Eberle
5-Sep-2011, 10:17
Is it just me or does it seem that the mere mention of someone having to replace pin-holed bellows on a Linhof always gets the same 3 or 4 people jumping in to question the veracity of the poster? It's as though there's a Technika-bot crawling the web, to trigger a call to arms to defend the faith, or something.

Bill_1856
5-Sep-2011, 11:32
Just curious - third factory bellows in how many years? And what's been the problem with the previous two? And why was the last one any more difficult (i.e. a "real job") than the previous one?

Brian, my Tech IV was from the late '60s; I use it about twice a year on trips (and occasional fondle), otherwise it is kept closed on a ventilated shelf in air conditioning. I bought it used in the early 70s from the widow of a studio photographer, so the first bellows was from the original factory, so far as I know. It decomposed from dry rot by about 1980, was sent to Marty Forsher (Professional Camera Repair, NYC) for a routine CLA and new factory bellows.
Decomposition from dry rot again in the mid '90s. This time it was replaced by my local (superb) long-time repairman with a new bellows from Midwest (which, from the cost, I presumed it was genuine Linhof). Anyhow, he said that it was a real bitch to put on. So far, so good.
As you know, I have a whole closet full of old folders from 1920-30s Zeiss Maximar and Ikontas to several Crown and Super Graphics. None of them have ever needed a bellows repair or replacement.
I hope you're enjoying Oregon.

Bob Salomon
5-Sep-2011, 11:44
So why in the world wouldn't you have sent it to the only Linhof factory trained service center in the USA who knows how to remove and change the bellows and who only uses factory supplied bellows? In fact, Marflex goes again to the factory in the next couple of weeks. Neither Marty Forschner or your local guy have/had this experience.

Frank Petronio
5-Sep-2011, 12:38
If a camera tech had trouble with a Linhof bellows then I'd look for a new tech... it's not rocket science.

In fairness to Linhof, they are thin bellows because they are longer and more compact than anything comparable. I mean a Crown Graphic or Wista bellows is only 12", some of the others maybe 16". The Linhof bellows is very flexible and extra long so it seems reasonable to expect to pay more for it.... Getting 15 years out of one isn't too terrible but I've had a few original bellows on old Technikas that are easily 50 years old and other than being sticky, they've been usable and light tight.

Brian Ellis
5-Sep-2011, 13:28
Is it just me or does it seem that the mere mention of someone having to replace pin-holed bellows on a Linhof always gets the same 3 or 4 people jumping in to question the veracity of the poster? It's as though there's a Technika-bot crawling the web, to trigger a call to arms to defend the faith, or something.

It isn't worth re-reading every post in this thread so I could be wrong but I don't remember anyone questioning anyone else's veracity in this thread. Different people have had different experiences. Relating them isn't questioning anyone's veractiy or calling anyone to arms.

Brian Ellis
5-Sep-2011, 13:34
Brian, my Tech IV was from the late '60s; I use it about twice a year on trips (and occasional fondle), otherwise it is kept closed on a ventilated shelf in air conditioning. I bought it used in the early 70s from the widow of a studio photographer, so the first bellows was from the original factory, so far as I know. It decomposed from dry rot by about 1980, was sent to Marty Forsher (Professional Camera Repair, NYC) for a routine CLA and new factory bellows.
Decomposition from dry rot again in the mid '90s. This time it was replaced by my local (superb) long-time repairman with a new bellows from Midwest (which, from the cost, I presumed it was genuine Linhof). Anyhow, he said that it was a real bitch to put on. So far, so good.
As you know, I have a whole closet full of old folders from 1920-30s Zeiss Maximar and Ikontas to several Crown and Super Graphics. None of them have ever needed a bellows repair or replacement.
I hope you're enjoying Oregon.

Thanks Bill. Two new bellows on a camera made in the late 1960s doesn't seem too bad but maybe it is in comparison to your other cameras. I wonder whether the fact that it's used so little has anything to do with the dry rot? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that a bellows on a stored camera should be periodically opened up but maybe that was for a different reason than dry rot.

I'm enjoying Oregon, thanks. How are things in Sarasota?

Bill_1856
5-Sep-2011, 16:57
So why in the world wouldn't you have sent it to the only Linhof factory trained service center in the USA who knows how to remove and change the bellows and who only uses factory supplied bellows? In fact, Marflex goes again to the factory in the next couple of weeks. Neither Marty Forschner or your local guy have/had this experience.

1) I don't send it to Marflex because, like Linhof, they charge three times what are reasonable prices.
2) How do you know what experience Marty Forschner (the world's greatest professional camera repairman) or my "local guy" have had?

Ivan J. Eberle
5-Sep-2011, 21:41
I'd never once heard of Marflex before all these threads here on LFF about dry-rotted Linhof bellows needing replacement. But I'd most certainly heard many times going back to the 70's of the accomplishments of the most famous camera repairman and modder who'll likely ever be, the legendary Marty Forscher.

Marty Forscher was to cameras as "Q" was to diabolical gadgets. RIP, Marty:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/nyregion/11forscher.html

Bob Salomon
6-Sep-2011, 02:25
1) I don't send it to Marflex because, like Linhof, they charge three times what are reasonable prices.
2) How do you know what experience Marty Forschner (the world's greatest professional camera repairman) or my "local guy" have had?

But that charge gets Linhof made bellows installed by Linhof trained pesonnel. That usually means that you would not have gone through 3 bellows since you acquired the camera. That is what you pay for.

I knew Marty since the 50s. Had no problem with him working on my 35mm cameras but he was not the place to go to for a Linhof or a Rollei SL66.

Bob Salomon
6-Sep-2011, 02:31
I'd never once heard of Marflex before all these threads here on LFF about dry-rotted Linhof bellows needing replacement. But I'd most certainly heard many times going back to the 70's of the accomplishments of the most famous camera repairman and modder who'll likely ever be, the legendary Marty Forscher.

Marty Forscher was to cameras as "Q" was to diabolical gadgets. RIP, Marty:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/nyregion/11forscher.html

Ivan,

That is not at all surprising. Marflex came from the owners name (Martin) and Rolleiflex since for decades he was the USA Service Manager for Rollei USA. When Rollei closed their business Martin bought the tools and parts and opened Marflex. It was a specialist business as they repaired what Rollei USA distributed, Rollei and Honeywell flash - which Rollei owned. He later went to Germany for training and became the Linhof service center for us when ZIV retired and moved to NC.

So Marty was a generalist who worked on everything. Marflex was a specialist who only did Rollei and Honeywell as well as the products that we imported over the years. So if you didn't own any of those products you would not have run into them.

Bill_1856
6-Sep-2011, 07:23
Bob, let's not get into a pissing contest. I know that you're just protecting your turf.

Bob Salomon
6-Sep-2011, 07:43
Bob, let's not get into a pissing contest. I know that you're just protecting your turf.

Bill,

I am not protecting anything. Marflex is an independent company and we derive no income or receive any payments from them. In fact, we pay them when they perform in warranty service on a Linhof or Wista product.

Other then that Marflex is an independent of us as that local repairman or marty Forcher or SK Grimes is. We have no financial relationship with any of them.

What we are concerned with is that repairs are done correctly and as quickly as possible (assuming parts availability) and that current owners as well as future owners of the repaired equipment receive a properly functioning product that is in factory spec. And yes we know that sometimes something might sneak through that is still a problem. But that is very rare.

We also know of customers who have had bellows replaced on their Technika cameras with suspect bellows and have had problems that we can't control, like a bellows too stiff to let the camera close properly, or too thin that gets messed up with normal handling.

So no, I am not protecting "my turf". We prefer to look at it as we want to make sure that our owners get proper service.

So there is no further misunderstanding about "my turf' we import and distribute the cameras and accessories from Linhof and Wista. We do not import or sell or distribute the repair or replacement parts for these product lines nor do we derive any kind of income from the sale of parts. That is strictly a function of the service center.

For our other product lines we have a different service center that handles those repairs and parts on the same basis. Unlike many companies service is not and never has been a profit center for us.

Frank Petronio
6-Sep-2011, 07:50
Bob spends a disproportionate amount of time assisting people with fifty-year old cameras that he has no stake in. In fact, because the old Technikas are so good, they are probably robbing him of some new sales. So I'd be thanking him profusely rather than questioning his motives.

I don't see anyone from Arca or Sinar or Ebony or anywhere else actively participating here. And he clearly identifies his affiliations with Linhof and Wista, so I'd take him at his word in these matters.

mortensen
7-Sep-2011, 03:36
Noah, I think there is more to it than 'just' camera spares. Forgive me, if you have already considered this, but thinking of theft, the worst that could happen is not having your gear stolen, but loosing your already exposed shots.

As you - and others - know, I had my Chamonix stolen on the train in India last winter. Luckily, I had my lenses and accessories in a separate bag, so I "only" lost my Chamonix, Nikon D80 + lens, various documents and - worst of all - six weeks of diaries and project notes. The last was irreplaceble, the rest wasn't. My girlfriend had brought home more than 150 exposed 4x5's just three days before the incident. Really, your exposed shots, notes and thoughts are what counts! Insurance is made for the rest.

That being said, it will of course ruin your trip if you get ripped or have your gear smashed a few days after arrival. But when you go to Mexico City, why not leave your TK and your spare lenses with a friend or relative? If you loose your camera or can't repair it with duct tape, the TK could be shipped with express shipping to you within a few days. You could even pack it up and leave precise shipping instructions with it. This won't work while you're in Lagos and Mumbai (probably too long shipping time and a shitload of customs issues), but it might be worth spending the extra pennies for a trusted hotel with a safe, where you could store your exposed negs. I know all this might be more hazzle and risks than what you gain - but the risks are part of the game.

When I had my gear stolen, it only cost me 4 days of my 9 week trip. When I explained my situation to the few people I know who could help me, I received an enormous amount of help. Thanks to Kumar here on the forum I could pick up the Linhof Color (now for sale... hint hint) I used in Mumbai from his friend Ajay. But that was not my only alternative. I looked at an old and beat up Tech III, had offers to rent Sinars in Bangalore and a professional Mumbai photographer was close to borrowing me his Technika (but eventually had to use it himself for assignments). I know I was lucky in several ways, but Mumbai at least is pretty civilized in these ways.

Noah A
7-Sep-2011, 04:42
Noah, I think there is more to it than 'just' camera spares. Forgive me, if you have already considered this, but thinking of theft, the worst that could happen is not having your gear stolen, but loosing your already exposed shots.

Yes, you're totally right of course. One thing I do to minimize the risk is shoot two sheets of each photo. When I unload the holders, I put the duplicates in two separate film boxes. This protects somewhat against accidental exposure should a box be opened, and I carry them in different bags so it also protects somewhat against theft. There's always some risk but splitting up the film mitigates the risk a bit.

For Mexico I'll probably pack up my TK and my wife could send it to me should I have any problems. For the other trips I may look for a beater backup camera to bring. My trips are shorter than yours so to lose even 4 days would not be ideal (not that it was ideal for you either, it must have been stressful). If I choose not to carry an extra camera, I may just make as many contacts as I can to set up a backup plan in advance.

Phil Hudson
7-Sep-2011, 05:08
Just another quick related question for Technika experts: when you invert the camera to use front fall on the MT2000 you remove the top shoe revealing a mounting bush.

Unfortunately the space between the strap lugs on the top is too small to use my Quickfix-II plates. Is there a tripod spacer available for making this work, or do I have to buy an entire new smaller (perhaps less rigid) quick release system?

It's annoying because the Quickfix-II is an excellent system otherwise ideal for the Technika (and it was recommended by a Linhof dealer!).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob Salomon
7-Sep-2011, 06:41
Just another quick related question for Technika experts: when you invert the camera to use front fall on the MT2000 you remove the top shoe revealing a mounting bush.

Unfortunately the space between the strap lugs on the top is too small to use my Quickfix-II plates. Is there a tripod spacer available for making this work, or do I have to buy an entire new smaller (perhaps less rigid) quick release system?

It's annoying because the Quickfix-II is an excellent system otherwise ideal for the Technika (and it was recommended by a Linhof dealer!).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sorry, Linhof has no spacer. You could position the plate front to back rather then across the camera body but that would block the flap, if you are using it.
Or you could use the Quickfix I. It is just as rigid and solid but is a smaller plate. Your plate is 3.93" long. The QF I plate is 2.75" long. The width and height of the plates is otherwise the same.
You apparently have a newer version of the 2000 as the original one accepted the discontinued EMS rangefinder/viewfinder system which went all the way across the top of the camera so the nexk strap lugs were on the sides of the camera as were the lock knobs.

Do you actually use a neckstrap with your 2000? If not why not ask Linhof Service if they can remove the lugs? If they can keep them in case you ever want to sell the camera.

mortensen
7-Sep-2011, 07:02
My trips are shorter than yours so to lose even 4 days would not be ideal (not that it was ideal for you either, it must have been stressful).

Oh yes, very stressful indeed! A constant limbo between giving up, changing my flight and get home asap and keeping my head cool and continue my search for a camera replacement. I lost Hyderabad in my project, but if I had not had the ability to work in Mumbai, my project would be incomplete.

Several times I considered going home right away and apply for a small grant to finance two weeks in Mumbai to complete the project later - fortunately I didn't have to. If you get unlucky and something serious comes in your way, I think most foundations and the like would be understanding.

Phil Hudson
7-Sep-2011, 15:06
Thanks for the reply Bob - I'll look into both options.