PDA

View Full Version : Calumet CC402 Rough Spot

John Conway
31-Aug-2011, 18:07
I just purchased a fine CC402 wide angle camera from KEH. The camera is in excellent shape with the exception of a slight resistance on the rail when I move the standards over that spot. The rail is super smooth with no obvious imperfections. If I push the standard to help it along, she moves over the spot just fine. If I don't help it along, the little wheel will spin in the slot underneath. I am not sure how much tension there should be on the screws that cradle the wheel in the rail slot. It seems like they should be just slightly snug. If they are tight, there is to much resistance, to loose, and they slip.I am thinking that maybe the slot edge may have a rough spot.

lenser
31-Aug-2011, 18:15
I had the same problem with one that I owned and took it to my machinist friend who simply took the finest grit automotive sandpaper that he had in stock and wrapped it around the rail and ran it back and forth several times, then test, repeated, tested again and so on until it completely freed up. It's worked like a charm ever since. Just blow off the dust each time before testing so it doesn't collect under the collar.

It is also possible that your rail surface is fine, but there may be a slight imperfection in the grove that is catching the wheel. It's a pretty sharp edge, so test this carefully, but run your finger along both edges of the grove and see if you feel any variations. If so, use the same sandpaper folded over and run it back and forth in the groove along each edge and test and repeat that.

John Conway
31-Aug-2011, 18:32
Hi lenser, thanks for the info. I think your suggested remedy will solve my problem. What about those little screws (4) on the bottom? How tight were yours? I worry about them falling out.

lenser
31-Aug-2011, 18:37
If you are talking about the ones on the tripod block, I never had a problem. Just snug them down if you are concerned, but don't over do it. That might bind the transport wheel for that part of the system.

John Conway
31-Aug-2011, 18:59
Each standard has four screws that hold the wheel on. Just snug seems about right. I am waiting for my 65/8 SA from KEH to use with the camera. Thank again.

Merg Ross
31-Aug-2011, 21:00
I had the same problem with one that I owned and took it to my machinist friend who simply took the finest grit automotive sandpaper that he had in stock and wrapped it around the rail and ran it back and forth several times, then test, repeated, tested again and so on until it completely freed up. It's worked like a charm ever since. Just blow off the dust each time before testing so it doesn't collect under the collar.

It is also possible that your rail surface is fine, but there may be a slight imperfection in the grove that is catching the wheel. It's a pretty sharp edge, so test this carefully, but run your finger along both edges of the grove and see if you feel any variations. If so, use the same sandpaper folded over and run it back and forth in the groove along each edge and test and repeat that.

I had this problem a week ago, just before I placed my 1965 Calumet on consignment at a local store. The rail looked fine, and I could not not figure out why, at one spot, it needed a nudge. I took a piece of fine grit sandpaper, as Tim suggests, ran it over the rail and inside the grove. That did the trick. I too, thought it might be a case of tension and tried messing with the four screws. Apparently, the slightest nick or burr can cause a problem. I can't complain after four decades of use, really an excellent camera. At one time I had three Calumet cameras, now down to just one (8x10).

Kirk Gittings
31-Aug-2011, 21:20
I had this problem a week ago, just before I placed my 1965 Calumet on consignment at a local store. The rail looked fine, and I could not not figure out why, at one spot, it needed a nudge. I took a piece of fine grit sandpaper, as Tim suggests, ran it over the rail and inside the grove. That did the trick. I too, thought it might be a case of tension and tried messing with the four screws. Apparently, the slightest nick or burr can cause a problem. I can't complain after four decades of use, really an excellent camera. At one time I had three Calumet cameras, now down to just one (8x10).

I've had the same problem and the same solution. Works fine.

Merg Ross
31-Aug-2011, 21:49
I've had the same problem and the same solution. Works fine.
Do you still have your CC402, Kirk? It was difficult letting mine go; always a faithful companion, and helped put beans on the table for many years. Perfect with a 90mm SA.

rjbuzzclick
1-Sep-2011, 12:28
Regarding the four screws that hold the rectangular piece of metal that holds the wheel in...I had my CC-400 apart a while back, and only two of the screws at one end can be tightened down. The other two should be loose enough so that that end of the metal can slide in and out as you push on the lever to release the tension on the wheel. The flat piece of metal is actually a spring that provide the tension to keep the wheel against the rail. Take all four screws out and look at the metal piece (or just one from each end) and you'll see what I mean.

FWIW, the set screw that locks the standard to the rail was not tightening up against the rail very well on my camera. A 1/4" or so piece of plastic cut to fit in the hole and go between the screw and the rail solved the problem.

John Conway
1-Sep-2011, 16:43
All the replies have been very, very helpful. I have had the pleasure to own more expensive 4X5 cameras in the past. But this little gem has a special place in my heart. I just love it for its simplicity. My 65/8 SA arrived today from KEH and it is now on the 402 ready for action. Just going room to room around the house, setting up the camera and viewing the ground glass, I can see that the low light viewing is going to be a challenge with the 65/8. But I was not expecting a bright image. Mine is an older chrome version and it looks so sweet mounted on the 402.