PDA

View Full Version : Patterson reel problem

Scott Walker
31-Aug-2011, 13:43
I have purchased new a Patterson tank and 2 reels for 120 film and the little balls on the reels stick. I have only run about 10 rolls through each reel but right from new the things jam real bad making for frustrating loading. Does anyone know if there is a cure for this or should I just bite the bullet and buy some good stainless reels and tanks.

I would have searched the net for an answer but I didn't think goggling sticky balls would have gotten the results I was looking for :o

Lachlan 717
31-Aug-2011, 13:58
Are you sure that it's the balls sticking? On occasion, I find that the leading edge of the film already in the spiral gets caught on one of the radial "arms" over the spirals.

Just a thought.

Gem Singer
31-Aug-2011, 14:13
The film is attached to the backing paper by means of sticky tape.

It is possible that residue from the tape is causing your problem.

Try completely removing the film from the backing paper and starting it onto the reel from the end that is not taped.

Scott Walker
31-Aug-2011, 14:29
I have a roll of film that I accidentially developed in fixer :( so I tested the reels in the light and it is definately the balls. one of the reels is not that bad but the other has one ball that jams up real bad.

Scott Walker
31-Aug-2011, 14:31
Try completely removing the film from the backing paper and starting it onto the reel from the end that is not taped.

I do that, I remove the backing paper and tape before even starting the film on the spool.

Tony Evans
31-Aug-2011, 14:50
Scott,
Try angle cutting (.25 inch) the leading corners before inserting in reel.

bobwysiwyg
31-Aug-2011, 15:34
Perhaps the reel just needs a good cleaning. After such a cleaning and drying, you should be able to tap, then shake the reel and hear the little balls rattle around.

Oren Grad
31-Aug-2011, 15:38
Unfortunately, current-production Paterson reels aren't quite so well finished as older ones. But I would second Tony's suggestion about trimming the corners. Occasionally a 120 roll still does jam, but I've always been able to recover by removing the film and starting again.

Jim Michael
31-Aug-2011, 16:51
First I would clean thoroughly with something like Lysol toilet bowl cleaner which has phosphoric acid, works well for color chemistry, not sure about B&W -- denatured alcohol would be good for removing goo from tape etc.

When I load one I fold the tape over the end of the roll to make it stiff and feed that end first. I'd practice on a previously developed roll first if I had one that was uncut.

lenser
31-Aug-2011, 16:54
Obvious question, but do you load them dry? If there is even a small amount of moisture, any of the plastic reels I've ever used have jammed like crazy because the moisture bonded the film to the edges of the reel.

Scott Walker
1-Sep-2011, 09:54
Scott,
Try angle cutting (.25 inch) the leading corners before inserting in reel.
That is how I was taught for 35mm and assumed it was necessary for 120 as well

First I would clean thoroughly with something like Lysol toilet bowl cleaner which has phosphoric acid, works well for color chemistry, not sure about B&W -- denatured alcohol would be good for removing goo from tape etc.
I will give this a try

When I load one I fold the tape over the end of the roll to make it stiff and feed that end first. I'd practice on a previously developed roll first if I had one that was uncut.
This sounds like a pretty good idea

Obvious question, but do you load them dry? If there is even a small amount of moisture, any of the plastic reels I've ever used have jammed like crazy because the moisture bonded the film to the edges of the reel.
I'm sure this is part of the problem, I do dry them as well as I can but they are only completly dry at the start of a session (first two rolls). They definately work a bit better the first time through.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully they will just get better with use.....if not I guess it's plan B.

Oren Grad
1-Sep-2011, 10:11
I'm sure this is part of the problem, I do dry them as well as I can but they are only completly dry at the start of a session (first two rolls). They definately work a bit better the first time through.

Reels are cheap. I have enough on hand that I never have to reuse within a session. I think I've accumulated nine or ten reels over the years, which is plenty since I don't ever develop more than six rolls in a session. But even if I had to replace them all tomorrow, it wouldn't break the bank - B&H is showing the Paterson reel at $7.99.

You might also look at the Samigon reel, also listed at B&H. They're said to be compatible with the Paterson tanks, but some of the comments suggest that there's enough of a difference in design that they may be a bit easier to load with 120. But you still would need to keep them dry.

leighmarrin
2-Sep-2011, 22:33
I usually wash my Patterson reels in soapy water after each use. Photo-Flo and other wetting agents leave a SLICK FILM on a dry reel that also makes loading the next roll harder, at least for me.