PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks on Thousand Island Lake

tgtaylor
31-Aug-2011, 08:39
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/17884/Kayaks_on_Thousand_Island_Lake#Post17884

John Schneider
31-Aug-2011, 09:05
Wow, I am sooooo jealous of your great trip!

Drew Wiley
31-Aug-2011, 10:58
A lot smarter idea than what I was did as a teenager. A couple of us found a rotten
inflatable raft behind a tree. The lake was at 9000ft early summer with a lot of ice
still floating on it. We blew up the raft and patched the pinholes with pine sap, then
carved a couple of oars. Paddled to an island a couple hundred yards offshore for some
exceptional trout fishing. But halfway back the boat sank, so we had to swim about
100 yds through the ice floes. I was literally blue and suprised we had survived.

Scott Walker
31-Aug-2011, 12:06
Looks like you had an excellent trip

Vaughn
31-Aug-2011, 12:40
Sounds wonderful!

I have a two person Klepper (about 17 foot). It would be fun to get on a lake like that...it has been a few decades since I was at Thousand Island Lake! The Klepper is over 30 years old and still doing well!

While I hiked and hand-led the mules for most of my wilderness ranger days, occasionally I rode a horse. I was always getting off to walk to loosen up my knees...and to relieve the poor animal that had to carry my weight up steep trails!

But before I pack in the Klepper on mules, I would have my 8x10 packed into the high country. I had that done and it was wonderful!

Vaughn

Preston
31-Aug-2011, 13:29
Looks great! The Ritter Range is one of my favorite places in the Sierra. What a place float lazily on the water under those mountains! The shots from Banner Peak bring back memories of my climb--we did it from Ediza up to the Banner-Ritter Saddle. We also wanted to do Ritter, but there were too many rocks flying down the high angle bowling alley!

--P

Erik Larsen
31-Aug-2011, 15:31
I would love to do that sometime... I'm jealous! Looks like a beautiful place.
Regards
Erik

Robert Oliver
31-Aug-2011, 19:24
I was just there two weeks ago... and couldn't believe how many kayaks were on that lake. Fairly long portage!

Harley Goldman
2-Sep-2011, 07:40
Looks like a great time! I have been there several times and you could not find a more beautiful place to kayak.