PDA

View Full Version : Darlot Lens Expert

TheDeardorffGuy
30-Aug-2011, 20:47
Who on the forum is the Darlot lens expert? Thanks

goamules
31-Aug-2011, 06:52
It depends on your definition of expert! Dates of manufacture - no one, History - I enjoy researching lenses, Use - I don't shoot many of them, Rare Types - .....

What do you want to know about which type?

TheDeardorffGuy
2-Sep-2011, 12:13
Here's the Darlt Lens. About 5 inch long w/ hood about 7 inch FL. Marked? Darlot Paris with the D over A logo and Made in Paris. No other data at all. Who what when where why...
Can someone fill in the Ws?

Richard Rankin
2-Sep-2011, 12:39
If you check the side of the front doublet, there is often a Darlot signature along with a date.

Richard

Fotoguy20d
2-Sep-2011, 13:18
Is it a petzval? Is the front a cemented doublet and the rear two separate pieces of glass? It looks like a projection petzval I had once - mine was marked BF&Co and Darlot Paris. Look at page 15 of this catalog (http://www.antiquecameras.net/1890lenscatalogue.html) Yours might be the 1-2.

Dan

Steven Tribe
2-Sep-2011, 13:37
No Waterhouse slot?
The later AD trademark at right angles?
No B.F & Co?
I think B. French had a monopoly of "loose" Darlot lenses. They do appear on the larger US camera makers products, though. Points to a Magic Lantern lens which was shipped to the ML maker. We mustn't forget that, even pre-e**y, there were secondary imports into the USA. Darlot kept a design that looks a lot like the pre-Waterhouse stop photographic Petzvals.

TheDeardorffGuy
2-Sep-2011, 16:08
Ok.....Disassembled it.
Front cell has 2 lenses cemented together. Marked in Pencil: Darlot Paris 767R
Rear Cell 2 lenses air spaced. The Thicker one Marked Darlot Paris 767

Looks like a stretched out tessar. So what is it?

Richard Rankin
2-Sep-2011, 16:39
Sounds like a petzval to me. Cemented front doublet, 2 air spaced rear lenses.

Here's an old link about it:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=634368&postcount=2

Two23
6-Sep-2011, 19:07
No slot, short hood, likely was a projection lens. Still will work well though.

Kent in SD