PDA

View Full Version : Fuji 4x5 instant film will all be gone

RawheaD
30-Aug-2011, 19:09
Just got word that FP-100C45 and FP-3000B45 will both be discontinued come October. Grab 'em while you can.

BarryS
30-Aug-2011, 19:39
So you got word directly from Fuji that both films will be discontinued?

RawheaD
30-Aug-2011, 20:09
No, from a film lab in Japan (http://www.chromart.co.jp/). I'll update if I hear more.

BarryS
30-Aug-2011, 20:19
Thanks. It wouldn't surprise me, but second-hand sources are always suspect. It would be a shame to see the last of the large format instant films disappear.

vinny
31-Aug-2011, 05:15
While it wouldn't suprise me in the least, labs just aren't reliable sources of info. Especially since they have little or nothing to do with the product in question.

Brian Ellis
31-Aug-2011, 07:27
Without a better source than a lab I think your thread title is very misleading.

GPS
31-Aug-2011, 07:49
Just got word that FP-100C45 and FP-3000B45 will both be discontinued come October. Grab 'em while you can.

Don't worry, the lab told you that only because you brought the film there to be developed...:rolleyes:

Helen Bach
31-Aug-2011, 19:12
If Fuji do stop making instant 4x5 pack film it would probably mean that we go fully digital for our commercial work - we couldn't work without a preview image for approval. We have about 50 packs in the fridge, but that will only delay the inevitable. Of course that has a knock-on effect on film sales and on labs.

Best,
Helen

Frank Petronio
31-Aug-2011, 20:27
While it is a compromise, you could still use the 3.25 x 4.25 Instant Film with 4x5 cameras, there is a much larger user base for that film so it makes sense they would continue to make that longer.

snay1345
3-Sep-2011, 03:12
Well this sucks. I just found an old Japanese guy who sells the 4x5 size in his store no more than 100 yards away from my home and this has to happen.

gevalia
5-Sep-2011, 11:18
No, from a film lab in Japan (http://www.chromart.co.jp/). I'll update if I hear more.

PLEASE. If you don't, you should know better than to post rumors from film labs here. Get a verification from Fuji and then post it otherwise hold off because it's the usual scam to get us to run out and stock up.

matthew klos
5-Sep-2011, 18:49
I would also really like to know this directly from Fuji.

jonreid
9-Sep-2011, 19:41
http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2108173/fujifilm-commits-instant-photography
Doesn't mention peel aparts, but promising...

grahamcase
9-Sep-2011, 21:05
I saw that article too, Jon. However, my local store that sells film (as long with other photo equipment) currently has a 2 for 1 sale because the film is apparently discontinued. Also, none of the 4x5 instant films are listed on the fuji website anymore. :(

Frank Petronio
9-Sep-2011, 21:58
Fuji has always had lousy communications and marketing with Western photographers so I wouldn't bank on anything until it is unequivocal.

Oren Grad
9-Sep-2011, 22:12
Also, none of the 4x5 instant films are listed on the fuji website anymore. :(

As of right now, the mother ship still shows 100C and 3000B in 4x5:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/filmandcamera/film/instant/peelapart.html

If it goes away in Japan, you'll first see a discontinuation notice like the red labels currently added to the 400B and 500B45 listings.

unixrevolution
28-Nov-2011, 12:57
As of right now, the mother ship still shows 100C and 3000B in 4x5:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/filmandcamera/film/instant/peelapart.html

If it goes away in Japan, you'll first see a discontinuation notice like the red labels currently added to the 400B and 500B45 listings.

I translated that page. It was very interesting. the FP100C Silk is of particular note.

Also, Babelfish translates "Peel apart type" as "Peel Apartment Type (Exfoliation system)."

Brian C. Miller
28-Nov-2011, 14:14
Google translation, Fuji discontinues 3000 speed B&W (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://fujifilm.jp/information/articlead_0132.html&usg=ALkJrhiKUbbwoxyaFG3-IjZmGakSkxf_Lg)

Instant Peel Apart film type "B & W instant film FP-3000B 45 SUPER SPEEDY"
End of Sales Announcement

September 29, 2011

FUJIFILM Corporation

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigetaka Komori) is an instant peel apartment type (peeling) • The film "Instant B & W Film FP-3000B 45 SUPER SPEEDY" (4 × 5 size, film black and white), and eliminates our inventory will be discontinued soon.

Fujifilm is a company we have been struggling ever since to continue to provide instant film peeling apartments, demand for the same film every year has decreased significantly in the current sales volume will continue to produce We have become difficult. Thus, unavoidably, 4 × 5 film of the same size, will be discontinued black and white film as described below. In addition, the color film sales will continue.

Fujifilm will continue to build a system available to photographic film and production efficiency while continuing review of the future product line.

Fujifilm's continued support in future products, look forward to your patronage, thank you.

Recorded

1. Name Discontinued

"B & W instant film FP-3000B 45 SUPER SPEEDY"

FP-3000B 45 SUPER SPEEDY 1 pack goods
FP-3000B 45 SUPER SPEEDY 20 pack goods

2. Expected completion time of shipment
※ period ending in July 2012 because of the prospect, you may find around.

Oren Grad
28-Nov-2011, 14:27
Fujifilm is a company we have been struggling ever since to continue to provide instant film peeling apartments...

:eek:

So *that's* the problem...

Zaphod
28-Nov-2011, 16:26
Impossible project is working on a 4x5 film.... though they don't currently make a peel apart type film so it could be quite different to work with.

They currently make "shake n bake" type films for SX70, 600 and spectra type Polaroid cameras. The film needs more care than the original Polaroid film e.g must be fully covered for the first few minutes after shooting but this is improving.

Fingers crossed.

al olson
7-Dec-2011, 17:32
"Instant Peel Apart film type "B & W instant film FP-3000B 45 SUPER SPEEDY"
End of Sales Announcement

September 29, 2011

FUJIFILM Corporation

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigetaka Komori) is an instant peel apartment type (peeling) • The film "Instant B & W Film FP-3000B 45 SUPER SPEEDY" (4 × 5 size, film black and white), and eliminates our inventory will be discontinued soon.

. . ."

I find this disconcerting, although apparently they will continue the color instant film. But the discontinuation of any film line draws a parallel to Kodak.

Despite their advanced work in digital, Kodak has never been able to shake their identity as a film company. They never were able to create an identity with digital imagery. They gave up their excellent lenses around 1960. The never followed through on their earlier large format cameras. Even with their Ektar, Medalist, Retina cameras, they never built an identity as a camera company (like Nikon, Canon, et al), nor an electronics company (like Sony, Panasonic, HP, etc.), necessary for the consumer public to view Kodak as a participant in digital technology. Their heyday revolved around the disposable cameras and one hour labs. The disposable cameras are identified by the films they use.

The Fuji business model appears to me to be very similar. They once had a camera line that was high end. But now, their camera line is primarily digital point and shoots. Like Kodak, Fuji relied on the disposable camera business and one hour labs as well and I think that therein film is their identity.

I am not aware that Fuji was as strong in digital technology as Kodak. I don't know if Fuji has non-photographic business that would help prop up their film business, but it appears from this announcement that they are dropping film lines that are not profitable. I am afraid Fuji will no be able to shed their film identity and there will be more announcements to come.

It is sad to see the two premier producers of photo products losing their foothold in photography.

John Conway
8-Dec-2011, 18:50
Just noticed this thread. I guess I may as well forget about instant 4x5 film. The writing is on the wall.

Helen Bach
8-Dec-2011, 20:17
... although apparently they will continue the color instant film...

Al, as I have mentioned in a few threads (apologies for repetition) in October a Fuji rep told me that the production line for FP-100C45 had been dismantled. Production of the smaller FP-100C and FP-3000B will continue.

al olson
9-Dec-2011, 07:02
Thanks, Helen, so it is even more dismal than I thought. I guess that's another holder I can throw away.

Visions
9-Dec-2011, 08:25
Hello,
I am new here, and all this talk of dicontinuation of film is getting me depressed. I am a newly minted convert from DSLR to 4x5, and my #1 concern is will there be film for me to shoot & labs to process it? Any thoughts and/or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Fred L
9-Dec-2011, 08:49
Visions,

I only shoot black and white in lf and ulf and while getting film in the boxes I want (can someone say 50 sheet boxes of TXP), I wouldn't be concerned if b/w was your thing. Can't speak to colour but would think that would be more vulnerable than monochrome.

The Fuji product discussed here is instant film and while it's loss will be hard to take (following on the heels of Polaroid tanking), it's not the end of the world so stay the course, use your cameras and enjoy the beauty of large negs.

Gene McCluney
9-Dec-2011, 08:49
Hello,
I am new here, and all this talk of dicontinuation of film is getting me depressed. I am a newly minted convert from DSLR to 4x5, and my #1 concern is will there be film for me to shoot & labs to process it? Any thoughts and/or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Well, I don't think anyone is saying 4x5 film is going away, and in fact this thread is specifically about the 4x5 (size) instant "polaroid type" films made by Fuji, not darkroom processing film.

Brian C. Miller
9-Dec-2011, 09:25
Visions:
Yes, there will be film and there will be labs to process it. However, it won't be convenient.

Nobody where I live processes medium, let alone large, format film. There are a couple of places in Seattle which process medium format, for color and B&W. There is one which processes LF B&W, but not color. All of my color stuff has to be done in my Jobo or else sent away. I normally process my own B&W film due to cost, control, and convenience.

The instant film products are a really big help, but they aren't a critical issue. There's a LOT of Fuji instant 4x5 film still in the pipeline, and the smaller size hasn't been discontinued. The Fuji PA-145 holder (small size) is still available new.

The most important thing to know is how to use your light meter and ground glass. After that, the instant products are just nice things, and it's really convenient to preview how a shot will really look.

The products I miss are the ReadyLoad/QuickLoad packets. But that's still a convenience, not a necessity. And for 8x10, there's never been any of that available. (OK, there was the Polaroid 8x10, but that was always outside, way outside, of my budget)

Now, what would happen if there was no more C-41 film in large format? Well, maybe Kodak could be convinced ($15,000 might do it) to cut their Vision3 500T movie film in large format. The latitude on that film is incredible! I feel so left out!

If I couldn't get film in LF sizes, I'd either make my own, or cut up roll film and tape it in a holder (done that, it's prone to errors). But I don't think pictorial film won't ever be unavailable in LF. There will always be enough demand to keep one manufacturer in business. But I don't expect that last manufacturer to be Kodak.

Visions
9-Dec-2011, 10:03
Thank you, everyone for your insghts.

The last time I self processed was high school circa 1975. Not sure I am into chemistry again, just yet. I have been searching for a lab to send my film to and found one in my own backyard that seems pretty reasonable:

Akron Commercial Color Lab (http://www.acclimaging.com/)
Vericolor Porta ($1.85/4x5 sheet)
Ektachrome ($1.95/4x5 sheet)
B&W ($1.95/4x5 sheet)
All three films for 8x10 are $4.15

I don't know if those prices are good or not, but if so, I just may be in trouble!

unixrevolution
14-Dec-2011, 12:16
Thank you, everyone for your insghts.

The last time I self processed was high school circa 1975. Not sure I am into chemistry again, just yet. I have been searching for a lab to send my film to and found one in my own backyard that seems pretty reasonable:

Akron Commercial Color Lab (http://www.acclimaging.com/)
Vericolor Porta ($1.85/4x5 sheet)
Ektachrome ($1.95/4x5 sheet)
B&W ($1.95/4x5 sheet)
All three films for 8x10 are $4.15

I don't know if those prices are good or not, but if so, I just may be in trouble!

My local LF processors are Uphoto (jerks) and Dodge Chrome (awesome dudes) in Beltsville, MD and Silver Spring, MD, respectively. Their prices are:

Uphoto:

4x5 E6: 2.50
4x5 B&W: $3.50

Dodge Chrome:

4x5 E6: 3.10
4x5 C41: 3.10
4x5 B&W: 3.50

So ACCL's prices are VERY reasonable.

megapickle1
18-Dec-2011, 12:15
While it is a compromise, you could still use the 3.25 x 4.25 Instant Film with 4x5 cameras, there is a much larger user base for that film so it makes sense they would continue to make that longer.

Hallo Frank! Is there any adapter for this instant film cassettes?

George

megapickle1
23-Jan-2012, 13:11
Well, it has come true. No more Fuji 4x5 pack film to buy.
What to do now, how to proof lighting setups or the real speeds of my shutters? Shooting tethered digital isn´t the best solution. With my D300 I have to count the horrible large crop factor (have to use my shortest lens) and different shutter characteristics too. Bracketing is a time and film consuming method.
On the Fujiroids I made my notes for speed and f-stop and the real film captures were spot on.
Any ideas?

Brian C. Miller
23-Jan-2012, 13:18
Go to Japan Exposures (http://www.japanexposures.com) and buy the back for the smaller packs.

unixrevolution
23-Jan-2012, 13:19
Polaroid 405/Fuji PA-145 for 72x95 instant. Thats what i hve.

Also, the New 55 project is looking good. Lets all buy a polaroid 545 while theyre cheap!

Http://new55.blogspot.com

Helen Bach
26-Jan-2012, 05:58
Well, it has come true. No more Fuji 4x5 pack film to buy.

I believe that there is a lot of FP-100C45 still in stock at Fuji, and plenty at retailers in the USA at least. There's much less FP-3000B45 left. I had no problems buying 50 boxes* of FP-100C45 a few days ago, and I could have had quite a lot more.

*We use up to 30, or sometimes more, sheets a day - we aren't hoarding it.

Best,
Helen

megapickle1
26-Jan-2012, 11:25
Hallo Helen,

if there is a plenty of Fuji FP100B45 in the U.S. I would suggest you a deal. Buy 50 packages for me and send it over the pond to Germany. That would be great. I´ll pay all in advance shipping included. Would be cheaper than a scanback.

Please send me a P.M. if you are willing to do it.

Best Regards
George

Helen Bach
26-Jan-2012, 13:42
if there is a plenty of Fuji FP100B45 in the U.S. ...

100B45 B&W or 100C45 colour? The 100B45 is hard to get now, it's the 100C45 that is still plentiful. If you want the 100C45 couldn't you order it from B&H? Let me know if there is a problem with that.

We will probably switch to the smaller format with the PA-145 once the 4x5 colour gets scarce.

Best,
Helen

megapickle1
26-Jan-2012, 15:39
Hi Helen!
I´m only interested in B/W (Fuji FP100 B45). Colour instant film (FP100C45) is easy to get here in Germany. I tried to bid for some on ebay but the seller will only ship inside U.S. The Eurpean market for B/W instant film in 4x5 fomat is empty.

I´m also thinking about the PA145 solution but b/w is really hard to get for this smaller format too. In addition these smaller pictures are harder to judge.

Well, let´s see what the future will bring. Maybe a $7K scanback and digital printing.

Best Regards
George

Helen Bach
26-Jan-2012, 16:28
100B is becoming difficult to find here in the smaller size as well.

I don't know how practical this would be for you, but could you use the old-fashioned pre-Polaroid method of rapid film processing (possibly using one of Donald Qualls' monobaths), then scanning?

Best,
Helen

megapickle1
27-Jan-2012, 01:07
Hallo Helen,

First I´ll try to get the smaller format of B/W instant with a PA145 holder. If all instant film will be gone, I switch to digital (scanback).

Best Regards
George

Jan Normandale
30-Jan-2012, 13:14
I believe that there is a lot of FP-100C45 still in stock at Fuji, and plenty at retailers in the USA at least......
*We use up to 30, or sometimes more, sheets a day - we aren't hoarding it.

Best,
Helen

OT, Helen what drives your use of 30 sheets or more of Fuji instant daily? Police work? I have heard they must have 'uncopyable' and 'unphotoshopable' photographs for their evidence.

Helen Bach
31-Jan-2012, 08:33
Jan,

Nothing as exciting as that. We use instant film for proofing product shots before taking the picture with Ektachrome 100G. Mostly for composition and lighting, then using the instant print for laying out the page. It works out at something like 3 test shots per image for straightforward shots (about 10 per day) or more test shots per image for a more complex shot - but fewer of those per day, maybe three.

Best,
Helen

BrianShaw
31-Jan-2012, 08:57
WOW, I didn't know anyone was lucky enough to still be working like in the good old days. Lucky you are, Helen!

Gene McCluney
31-Jan-2012, 13:57
WOW, I didn't know anyone was lucky enough to still be working like in the good old days. Lucky you are, Helen!

Hey now, there ARE more of us. I too use Instant film to proof for final shooting on Transparency film, although I use 4x5 Provia, not E100G. I use maybe 50 sheets of Instant film a month.

megapickle1
31-Jan-2012, 14:06
Hey now, there ARE more of us. I too use Instant film to proof for final shooting on Transparency film, although I use 4x5 Provia, not E100G. I use maybe 50 sheets of Instant film a month.

WOW! You all must have a really huge stock of instant film! Poor me.

George