PDA

View Full Version : Master list of obscure special effects filters and custom made effects filters

tearcut1
30-Aug-2011, 06:41
Hi,

I was wondering how many effects filters are out there.

I'm aware of the rainbow/crystal/kaideoscope, mask, double exposure, Polar, diffusion, silhollete shapes, UV maybe about 15 colors including the graduated color etc..

There there's all this experimental stuff you can do:

Putting glass, nets, string etc.. anything.

Was wondering what are some interesting custom effects that you guys know of...and some lesser know maybe obsolete filters that also give some interesting results.

lenser
30-Aug-2011, 07:14
One of my favorites is a Kodak Portrait diffusion filter with random crossing bars molded into the glass. Over and above that, take a look at Cokin's catalog. Well over a hundred filters and many are odd special effect numbers.

D. Bryant
30-Aug-2011, 08:30
Hi,

I was wondering how many effects filters are out there.

I'm aware of the rainbow/crystal/kaideoscope, mask, double exposure, Polar, diffusion, silhollete shapes, UV maybe about 15 colors including the graduated color etc..

There there's all this experimental stuff you can do:

Putting glass, nets, string etc.. anything.

Was wondering what are some interesting custom effects that you guys know of...and some lesser know maybe obsolete filters that also give some interesting results.

These are what Popular Photography technical director (1972-1987) Norman Goldberg (1931-2006) referred to as "oddball" effects filters and gizmos. These kinds of 'creative' gimmicks are largely passe now.

Mark Woods
31-Aug-2011, 05:37
I would go to the Tiffen website, the Schneider website, the Sun Ray website, the Harrison and Harrison website and count them. ;-)