PDA

View Full Version : Savannah, GA

Corran
29-Aug-2011, 15:02
I'm visiting Savannah, Georgia for two days this upcoming weekend. It is a holiday weekend so it'll probably be busy, but I'm still going to be out and about with a 4x5.

If you've got any suggestions for photo material I'm all ears. I've been several times before (but not with a 4x5) and I will definitely be hitting the usual spots - River Street, the cathedral and cemeteries...but I'd love to know about any lesser-known spots. I've heard that the Telfair Museum has some nice architecture. I don't have a lot of time to "explore" so I'm trying to get some ideas beforehand!

Gary Beasley
29-Aug-2011, 15:26
I've always had fun at the old forts, Pulaski and Jackson. You should be able to find the info on Google for these. Jackson is the oldest of the two and is less well known than Pulaski.

Wally
29-Aug-2011, 15:38
There are some photogenic old graveyards/cemeteries in Georgia.

Bonaventure in Savannah is an excellent example, and has some awesome stonework.

// Wally

John Powers
29-Aug-2011, 16:27
Ships of the Sea – Maritime Museum Scarbrough House
http://shipsofthesea.org/pages/house

Beautiful huge model ships in an elegant mansion. Many photo ops

John

Steve M Hostetter
29-Aug-2011, 17:18
Lots of old churches and architecture and quite a few monument circles... Nice little wildlife refuge just north of town / might bring a tiny format camera! just for fun

Walter Calahan
29-Aug-2011, 18:25
Simply walk around the old section of town. There's material on any block for photography.

D. Bryant
29-Aug-2011, 18:26
I'm visiting Savannah, Georgia for two days this upcoming weekend.

If you've got any suggestions for photo material I'm all ears. I've been several times before (but not with a 4x5) and I will definitely be hitting the usual spots - River Street, the cathedral and cemeteries...but I'd love to know about any lesser-known spots. I've heard that the Telfair Museum has some nice architecture. I don't have a lot of time to "explore" so I'm trying to get some ideas beforehand!

I wouldn't waste my time on the Telfair Museum nor Forts Pulaski and Jackson on a 2 day trip.

Since you have only two days I would concentrate on the historic district. IMO, Cathedral of St. John the Baptist should not be missed, inside and out. Laurel Grove cemetery has the single most iconic statuary there. I'm looking at a photograph of it now in my living room. Bonaventure will have the most Gothic statuary. You can spend an entire day photography in either of these historic graveyards. There are 5 cemeteries in Savannah, each have their own "personality" and opportunities for photographs.

Since you live close to Savannah plan on returning for more photography. It's easy to get saturated with all of the historic buildings and homes. When that happens I tend to photograph architectural details.

If you want a real challenge drive out to Tybee Is. and see if you can find the best composition of the Tybee Is. lighthouse. There is really only one but I'll let you discover it. :)

Forsyth Park and the fountain there also offer an opportunity for interesting photographs. Although not likely at this time of the year, fog can create a very interesting element to your photographs. Also take advantage of the over hanging live oak canopy and Spanish moss as elements in your photographs whenever you can, they are unique and can frame subjects.

Don't be surprised if a view camera attracts some attention from passers by or tourists. Sometimes they can be an interesting diversion but other times they can behave like assholes demanding that you spend your time talking about your camera. Once I had some German tourists spot my 8x10 and they were very intrigued by the camera. I couldn't speak German nor they English but when I pointed to my Schneider lens I could tell by the reaction they were impressed, "Ohh, Schneider!, Yah!"

Best time to photograph, 7-10:30 AM, 3 till dusk. Eat late dinners and take advantage of the late evening light.

Corran
29-Aug-2011, 19:17
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Don, I am definitely going to focus a large chunk of time for St. John. Do you know if they are okay with tripods? I will check out Forsyth Park, I hadn't heard of it.

I am probably going to Tybee too, if time permits.

By the way, thanks for that grain focuser, I didn't find it till a couple days ago using that box for something else!!

Last year I did a one-day whirlwind tour of Savannah armed with a Nikon D90 and F5, I am really excited about this trip.

D. Bryant
30-Aug-2011, 05:21
Do you know if they are okay with tripods?
I think they will but no spiked tripod feet.

By the way, thanks for that grain focuser, I didn't find it till a couple days ago using that box for something else!!

Glad you found it.

Wayne Aho
30-Aug-2011, 07:44
I was there several years ago, and they had a train museum, at the time, they were trying to tie into the main line to run excursions. Its near the historic district, and most everything is outside.

Wayne

ImSoNegative
30-Aug-2011, 08:33
There are some photogenic old graveyards/cemeteries in Georgia.

Bonaventure in Savannah is an excellent example, and has some awesome stonework.

// Wally

oh yes, bonaventure rocks, i was in savannah back in the early summer for a wedding and took my LF gear, i found bonaventure by accident, didnt want to leave. :) the image on the cover of the book "midnight in the garden of good and evil" was shot in bonaventure .

D. Bryant
30-Aug-2011, 10:00
oh yes, bonaventure rocks, i was in savannah back in the early summer for a wedding and took my LF gear, i found bonaventure by accident, didnt want to leave. :) the image on the cover of the book "midnight in the garden of good and evil" was shot in bonaventure .

But never to be found there again. It's now in the Telfair Museum.

Doug Howk
30-Aug-2011, 12:36
Jack Leigh, besides the "Midnight..." statue, did some beautiful work in Savannah. You might check out some of his books for ideas.

D. Bryant
30-Aug-2011, 14:14
Jack Leigh, besides the "Midnight..." statue, did some beautiful work in Savannah. You might check out some of his books for ideas.

I have all of Jack's books (most if not all are out of print and some are quite rare) and on the whole most of his work was not about or of Savannah but rather about the low country and people that lived and worked on the South Carolina and Georgia coastal areas.

He was well known of course in Savannah and ran his gallery there for many years; how I regret not buying some of his prints. He still has a presence on the web, http://www.jackleigh.com/

This is the iconic image he will probably be remembered for most:

http://www.jackleigh.com/imgPages/midnight.htm

Doug Howk
30-Aug-2011, 14:45
I've been told that when traveling to a new place, one should first check out the postcard racks. Photographers like Jack Leigh are a healthy antidote to such sameness. I suspect that, if it hadn't been for the book then movie, Savannah Girl would have remained in obscurity. Jack Leigh explored the lesser known areas in Savannah and surroundings; and that's why I think his books are a great help to fellow photographers visiting the area.

Terry Hull
30-Aug-2011, 16:46
Old Jewish synagogue/museum for internal architecture shots. I forget which square it is on, but not far from Forsythe. Many of the SCAD buildings(book store, Gryphon Tea House, etc. are worth a peek.

D. Bryant
30-Aug-2011, 18:58
Jack Leigh explored the lesser known areas in Savannah and surroundings; and that's why I think his books are a great help to fellow photographers visiting the area.

Jack's books really aren't about Savannah ... lesser known or not. 'Seaport: A Waterfront at Work' is as close as he came to making photographs of Savannah.

ImSoNegative
30-Aug-2011, 19:40
But never to be found there again. It's now in the Telfair Museum.

ya i found that out later, family said they were afraid it would be vandalized or stolen, the famous "little Gracie" is still there though,

Dcohio
31-Aug-2011, 09:28
Forsyth park fountain at night is beautiful. Just be careful! Several years ago I was taking some night shots with my wife by my side, it just got done raining so there was a nice sheen on the walkway leading up to the fountain. During one of my exposures I noticed 2 guys walking in the distance. Didn't pay too much attention till only 1 them came around to talk us. The guy would not leave us alone, he kept trying to get us to "look" at something by the fountain. After about 5 min of this I started to pack up when some bicycle cops showed up and politely asked the gentleman to leave. Only then did the other guy walk out of the shadows quite fast in the other direction. AS with anywhere, there is people looking for trouble. Fort pulaski is very nice too, but thats what into. the shot from the fountain was the 1st print I ever sold. Keep wanting to get back down there with lg format but never find the time. Beautiful area.