PDA

View Full Version : Question????????????

ignatiusjk
29-Aug-2011, 14:51
Is there such a thing or filter in PS3 as a polarizer? I looked but didn't find one.

Kirk Gittings
29-Aug-2011, 15:00
No. Nor in PS4 or 5. I don't think that exact "effect" is possible. HOWEVER if you are simply talking about about darkening blue skies, yes-via applying a Gradient or by lowering the "Luminance" of Blue by moving the Lightness slider in a Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer.

Ari
29-Aug-2011, 15:12
Or you could get Nik Digital effects; there's a polarizer effect there, but I don't know how well it replaces the real thing.

Greg Blank
29-Aug-2011, 16:30
Eventually they will include the loose nut behind the camera as well.

Or you could get Nik Digital effects; there's a polarizer effect there, but I don't know how well it replaces the real thing.

Kirk Gittings
29-Aug-2011, 18:38
http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa_img/cep3/filter_list/polarization.html
This is Nik's so called "polarizing" filter-easily duplicated in PS or LR It is just something similar to what I posted above plus a slight saturation and contrast bump. DEFINITELY NOT ANYTHING TO DO WITH REAL POLARIZATION.

E. von Hoegh
30-Aug-2011, 10:47

It does not, because it can not. You must make the photo through a polarising filter to have a photo made with polarised light.

Preston
30-Aug-2011, 12:03
Another way to darken a blue sky is to create a Selective Color adjustment layer.

After creating the layer, select 'Blues' from the dropdown list. At the bottom of the window, move the 'Black' slider to the right. This adds black to the blues, darkening them. You can choose between a 'relative', or 'abolute' adjustment to see which looks best.

Note that this will affect the blues in the entire image unless the sky is selected prior to creating the Selective Color layer.

As has been said, this is only an approximation of the effect of a PL filter. The best course is to use the filter when making the exposure.

--P

Ari
30-Aug-2011, 14:20
It does not, because it can not. You must make the photo through a polarising filter to have a photo made with polarised light.

That's true, but you can mimic the effect of a polarizer through various digital controls.

tbeaman
30-Aug-2011, 15:50
Depends upon what you want out of a polarizer. As mentioned, darkening a blue sky, increasing saturation, or enhancing local contrast are all achievable in differing respects, but altering reflections seems like it would be nearly impossible.

Brian Ellis
30-Aug-2011, 19:56
Polarizers and ND grads are the only filters I still carry. The effects I used to obtain from the usual b&w filters can be obtained easier and with much more precision and flexibility in Photoshop. But it's not so easy to remove reflections in Photoshop so I still carry polarizers for that purpose.

Ari
30-Aug-2011, 20:32
I agree about the polarizer, but you can sell your ND grads :)

Brian Ellis
31-Aug-2011, 04:56
I agree about the polarizer, but you can sell your ND grads :)

Oh sure, I can (and do) blend multiple exposures and use various tools in Camera Raw and Photoshop that mimic the effect of ND grads. But grads are quick and easy to use and minimize the need for post-processing so I have no plans to sell them (all two of them that is : - )).

Ken Lee
31-Aug-2011, 06:12
Polarizers do more than reduce blue sky: they reduce glare. With a polarizer, you can see into a body of water or through a window - and you can control the amount of glare by rotating the polarizer. Depending on the conditions, you can remove a little glare, or remove it altogether.

When a polarizer is on the camera, it allows us to see through distant haze. If there is enough haze, visual data from the distant subject doesn't reach the film or sensor, and therefore no amount of post-processing can recreate it, unless we want to draw it, or paste another image.

Greg Lockrey
31-Aug-2011, 06:15
The only filter I use with my digital cameras is the polarizer. I glued a tip of a toothpick on the lens shade just over the spot on the filter ring. When I point the the spot towards the sun to get maximum effect the sun will cast a shadow from the toothpick onto the spot. I'm a big user of view finders as sometimes it's hard to see the screen in bright light. It was a trick I used with my Leica M4. I also do a lot of shooting while riding my bike with the camera mounted on a Gorilla Pod on the handle bars. Works like a charm. :)

Greg Miller
31-Aug-2011, 07:06
The primary use of a polarizing filter for me is to control glare/sky reflection on leaves. Since most leaves have at least a small amount of a waxy sheen surface, they reflect a lot of light. If a composition includes foliage, I generally have the polarizer on. With the polarizer, I can choose to eliminate most of the glare (revealing the true color of the leaves), or selectively choose how much glare I want to show.

There is no equivalent of this in Photoshop. If leaves have a white, gray, or blue reflection, then the only solutions in Photoshop would be very tedious, like a whole lot of cloning and healing.

Ken Lee
1-Sep-2011, 03:54
Thanks for mentioning this Greg - very helpful !!

Larry Gebhardt
1-Sep-2011, 08:07
Polarizers and ND grads are the only filters I still carry. The effects I used to obtain from the usual b&w filters can be obtained easier and with much more precision and flexibility in Photoshop. But it's not so easy to remove reflections in Photoshop so I still carry polarizers for that purpose.

Only if you use color film, or a digital back.