PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic case color

tjc51
28-Aug-2011, 17:33
I have a Speed Graphic camera case(or toolbox), which I would like to paint. But I need to find out the original color. Does anyone know where I can get a close match ? Its in great shape, but in need of painting. Looks to be a shade of green ? The camera is in excellant condition so I'd like to keep it stored in its original case. Thanks--Tom

Mark Sampson
28-Aug-2011, 18:00
Those cases were made out of some early fiber-plastic called 'Vulcanoid'. Perhaps someone here would know the process. Some of the ones I have owned are a dirty green-brown, others are blue-gray. But the color is integral and the cases are not painted, as far as I can tell. Since the early users didn't care about originality, and painted/labeled them as they wished, I'd feel free to paint it as you like.

tjc51
29-Aug-2011, 04:17
thanks for the answer. I know the color isn't to important, but thought I'd try to keep it close. thanks again--tom

Jim Noel
29-Aug-2011, 08:17
I have a black vulcanoid case for a 4x5 Speed. I believe this was the original color before they went to gray.

tjc51
29-Aug-2011, 17:52
Do you know what year the color changed ? I beleive my cAmera is 1950-1951.

banjo
30-Aug-2011, 12:10
I use what we call Electrical Panelboard gray or SQ.D gray
its not a bad mach to what my case color was

Mark Sampson
30-Aug-2011, 13:14
The 'dirty green-brown' color I referred to above was the color of the case that held my first LF camera, a c.1946 pre-Anniversary 3x4 Speed Graphic.

Robert Hughes
30-Aug-2011, 14:54
The 'dirty green-brown' color I referred to above was the color of the case that held my first LF camera, a c.1946 pre-Anniversary 3x4 Speed Graphic.
Everything from that era is painted in army olive drab, it seems. We still see mailboxes in that color.

Bill Suderman
30-Aug-2011, 15:18
I have an old plywood version that was a light brown with darker molded brown synthetic leather corners and brass colored hardware. The inside is covered with purple felt (royalty?). It's a clamshell style case, 3 main compartments with 2 assessories compartments (each divided into 3 sections) in the top. I've taken it all apart and am refitting and gluing it all. When that is finished, I'll cover it with some bright colored fabric so I can see it if someone decides they want it more than me.

Michael Clark
30-Aug-2011, 18:44
My speed graphic case is a light grey and the Burke and James case is also, and made of same material. Must have been pretty popular stuff during that time period.

tjc51
30-Aug-2011, 19:00
Thanks for everyone's replies.The more I look at my case ,it seems to be more of the drab olive green variety.Whichever color I do choose, I'll have to color coordinate the new felt lining:) :)

Ivan J. Eberle
31-Aug-2011, 07:20
Paint it whatever color you wish, but if it were me I'd be painting it a thermally reflecting (and not absorbing) shade. Olive green flat may be even worse than glossy black in this regard.

Heat wasn't quite so much of a consideration back in the day of B+W only, but it soon became an issue with color transparency emulsions. (It was really bad with early Ektachrome. One of Kodachrome's strengths was that being essentially B+W until processed, it was relatively immune to heat related color shifts).