PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 20x24 wetplate/film camera

tuant
28-Aug-2011, 15:50
Just got my specially made Chamonix 20x24 wetplate/film camera. The camera is very light weight and yet steady.

tuant
28-Aug-2011, 15:53
It is a square so you can do both vertical or horizontal. The GG is now plastic, nice, light and clear. You can even punch it and it won't break.

tuant
28-Aug-2011, 15:55
The front accepts 10" lens boards. It can accomodate most of the giant brass lenses. This is without the extended bellows--about 1 meter bellows extension.

tuant
28-Aug-2011, 15:56
With the extra extension, the bellows can now reach 1.7 meters, enough even for most 1:1 work.

tuant
28-Aug-2011, 15:59
With a giant brass cone mounted. I am still waiting for my lens support, so I dare not to have the lens too high on the front. The lens is about 20lbs itself.

tuant
28-Aug-2011, 16:00
Plate holder--this is for wetplate, you can also ask for a film holder.

tuant
28-Aug-2011, 16:01
This is an aluminum 20x24 I took a while back, it fits nicely in the holder.

tuant
28-Aug-2011, 16:07
My old 2024 wetplate camera is over a 100lbs. Each time I want to shoot a few plates, I have to ask someone for help. This Chamonix is only 35lbs. Now I can shoot 2024 wetplate alone easily. The owner of Chamonix is making a 32" wetplate for himself. With careful weight control, it is possible even to shoot at size without extra help. I have a 16x20 being made right now. Originally I just ordered a 16x20 but after seeing the beautiful craftsmanship, i couldn't help taking this 2024 home:D

Tuant

Zaitz
28-Aug-2011, 16:13
That's awesome. I would love to dabble in something like that. Kind of hard to 'dabble' in that though!

Tri Tran
28-Aug-2011, 16:27
Best of the Best Tuant. Congrats on your new camera. Hass did awesome job on that one, the whole outfit looks very study but yet very stylist. Enjoy the camera and I know your new Chamonix will make your life MUCH less miserable to work with ULF wet plate. Smart move!
PS: One thing that I'm not sure if the front standard handle my Cooke 27 inches ?

John NYC
28-Aug-2011, 16:37
Very cool.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Aug-2011, 16:40
Tuant, that is just plain beautiful! Man do they make a great camera or what. When I looked at Tri's 14x17 after I had built my 14x17 I thought to myself why didn't I do that! A 20x24 wet plate at 35 pounds! i love it! Still one needs a cart to haul the glass!!

Asher Kelman
28-Aug-2011, 17:04
PS: One thing that I'm not sure if the front standard handle my Cooke 27 inches ?
Tri

I think it's far too risky! The entire front standard would splinter when you turned you back! Best send it to me! I'll mount it safely for you and you can visit as often as you like!

Asher

Tri Tran
28-Aug-2011, 17:24
Tri

I think it's far too risky! The entire front standard would splinter when you turned you back! Best send it to me! I'll mount it safely for you and you can visit as often as you like!

Asher

That make sense and yes I will but you have to send me the picture of your camera to see if it's qualified for it :)

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Aug-2011, 17:26
I have one that is qualified!!!!

Tri Tran
28-Aug-2011, 17:30
You've got me! Then it will go to Jim. Sorry Asher!

Two23
28-Aug-2011, 17:40
Looks spectacular!

Kent in SD

cyrus
28-Aug-2011, 18:00
Just out of curiosity - how the heck do you plan on heating and varnishing such a large wet plate? I won't even ask how you will pour the collodion.

Hugo Zhang
28-Aug-2011, 18:06
Tuant,

I have to repeat to myself again and again: I am NOT going to do 20x24!!! But the temptation is huge, especially from your 20x24 wet plates. Oh, man, do you have to show off???

No, no, no....

Maybe someday I will get a 16x20 wet plate holder for my camera. That's it.

tuant
28-Aug-2011, 18:18
Tuant,

I have to repeat to myself again and again: I am NOT going to do 20x24!!! But the temptation is huge, especially from your 20x24 wet plates. Oh, man, do you have to show off???

No, no, no....

Maybe someday I will get a 16x20 wet plate holder for my camera. That's it.

Come on, Hugo, it is just a few more inches and a few more pounds. You can handle it:D

Best of the Best Tuant. Congrats on your new camera. Hass did awesome job on that one, the whole outfit looks very study but yet very stylist. Enjoy the camera and I know your new Chamonix will make your life MUCH less miserable to work with ULF wet plate. Smart move!

Hi Tri,

Yes, it does make my life a lot easier now. You should see Chamonix's silver box. It is as pretty as a businessman's attache all in a beautiful carbon fiber box. You know Hass always wants his stuff leight weight. For your Cooke lens, they have developed a lens holder which has effectively solved this problem. You will know it when you see it. I don't have this yet but will get one soon for my giant cone.

Tuant, that is just plain beautiful! Man do they make a great camera or what. When I looked at Tri's 14x17 after I had built my 14x17 I thought to myself why didn't I do that! A 20x24 wet plate at 35 pounds! i love it! Still one needs a cart to haul the glass!!

Jim, you are right that some times we try to make stuff ourselves to save money, but I got this simply because its craftsmanship. It is a piece of art just by itself.

Just out of curiosity - how the heck do you plan on heating and varnishing such a large wet plate? I won't even ask how you will pour the collodion.

It just takes longer and more patience :D You get used to that size after a while and when you really do small plates again, you will regard them as cute:D

cyrus
28-Aug-2011, 22:47
It just takes longer and more patience :D

And a blow torch and 3-4 assistants?

tuant
29-Aug-2011, 05:16
And a blow torch and 3-4 assistants?

No, you can do it alone. I just use a regular household stove and go from there. To flow collodion is actually easier than varnishing because of the viscosity. Some day if some one can come up with a nice spray varnish just for wetplate, that will be so great!!

Tuant

alex from holland
29-Aug-2011, 11:31
Tuant,

For back up i use gloss spray from Lukas.
Some others also have good experiences with liquitex spray.
But i still prefer sandarac.

Alex

tuant
29-Aug-2011, 15:20
Tuant,

For back up i use gloss spray from Lukas.
Some others also have good experiences with liquitex spray.
But i still prefer sandarac.

Alex

Thanks, Alex, will try both. I have been trying to find something that could free me from the ordeal of varnishing. If this really works, I will toast to that~~

Tuant

alex from holland
30-Aug-2011, 00:12
Thanks, Alex, will try both. I have been trying to find something that could free me from the ordeal of varnishing. If this really works, I will toast to that~~

Tuant

i haven't tried the liquitex but here's a link for the lukas spray : http://www.greatart.co.uk/LUKASSPRAYFILM-varnishes.htm

alex

Michael Roberts
30-Aug-2011, 12:30
wow...
wow...
wow...
Enjoy--looks incredible

tuant
11-Sep-2011, 18:23
Tried out my new Chamonix 2024 today. There is such a weight difference between this and my old 2024 which weighs over 100lb. Handling is a piece of cake.

tuant
11-Sep-2011, 18:24
My lens support is still on the way from Chamonix. In the meantime, my old cruch doesn't look bad here :D

tuant
11-Sep-2011, 18:26
2024 aluminum

Petzval lens

Ronan87
12-Sep-2011, 00:30
Amazing!

Mind PMing price and eta of the camera?

tuant
12-Sep-2011, 05:09
Amazing!

Mind PMing price and eta of the camera?

Are you asking me to PM you the price of this camera?

Dave Wooten
12-Sep-2011, 10:22
have you posted photo of your new camera?I cant seem to find it on this thread? thanks

Ronan87
12-Sep-2011, 13:00
Are you asking me to PM you the price of this camera?

Yes, i'm asking how much it was and how long it took to have it built.

Sean Galbraith
12-Sep-2011, 15:13
Amazing

Dave Wooten
12-Sep-2011, 15:16
have you posted photo of your new camera?I cant seem to find it on this thread? thanks

ignore, was reading the forum via my droid phone....the photo attachments werent showing...found them on the pc.

tuant
12-Sep-2011, 18:16
Yes, i'm asking how much it was and how long it took to have it built.

Without the extension, the camera and the holder would probably cost some where between 7000 - 8000 USD. I had this one specially built so the price was different. I am not sure how long it will take but my guess is 8 - 12 weeks at least. There are still a couple of 16x20 wet plate/film cameras available right now if you act fast. They only made 10 of those this time and half were for friends.

Tuant

Ronan87
12-Sep-2011, 19:54
Without the extension, the camera and the holder would probably cost some where between 7000 - 8000 USD. I had this one specially built so the price was different. I am not sure how long it will take but my guess is 8 - 12 weeks at least. There are still a couple of 16x20 wet plate/film cameras available right now if you act fast. They only made 10 of those this time and half were for friends.

Tuant

Thanks!

Maybe it's time to sell the Noctilux 0.95 and play with something new... but i might be chewing on more than i can handle... :o

ImSoNegative
12-Sep-2011, 20:13
2024 aluminum

Petzval lens

that is awsome!