PDA

View Full Version : 6x17 camera reflections

ThePenguin
28-Aug-2011, 04:44
I currently own the Linhof 617S with Schneider 90/5,6 and I just love it.

BUT!

I'm thinking of selling it to buy a cheaper model and I've been looking at either the Dayi or Gaoersi models. But what do I lose if I buy one of theses models compered to the Linhof?

Also a lens question:

The Schneider optics require a center filter (whitch I have) but from what I've heard the Nikkor 90/4,5 (maybe the 90/8 aswell?) doesn't require this, is that correct?

Thanks!

GPS
28-Aug-2011, 05:12
I currently own the Linhof 617S with Schneider 90/5,6 and I just love it.

BUT!

I'm thinking of selling it to buy a cheaper model and I've been looking at either the Dayi or Gaoersi models. But what do I lose if I buy one of theses models compered to the Linhof?

Also a lens question:

The Schneider optics require a center filter (whitch I have) but from what I've heard the Nikkor 90/4,5 (maybe the 90/8 aswell?) doesn't require this, is that correct?

Thanks!

You'll loose the Linhof quality and workmanship of your camera and the superiority of its viewfinder. I cannot imagine a reason why would somebody want to acquire a Chinese 6x17 camera having already a Linhof 617S - unless you want to use lenses not available for the Linhof piece.
And no, Schneider 90/5.6 lens does not require a centre filter - I have the Linhof 6x17 camera with this lens and don't uses the filter at all. Don't see any need for it.
Nikon 90mm lenses need or don't the centre filter in the same way as Schneider 90mm lens.

Bob Salomon
28-Aug-2011, 05:15
Nikon WA lenses as well as Fuji ones, just like Schneider and Rodenstock ones, can benefit from a center filter. Nikon did not change physics when they made their lenses. They simply did not make or offer a center filter for their lenses as Rodenstock and Schneider do.

Jim Noel
28-Aug-2011, 07:55
Any 90mm lens expected to cover the 6x17 format benefits from a center filter. I sometimes don't use mine and the ends of the negative are obviously under-exposed. Sometimes this is an advantage.

ThePenguin
28-Aug-2011, 09:35
The reason for selling my Linhof and buy a Dayi or Gaoersi is simply to afford a 8x10 camera instead. I really like the 6x17 format, but I can't really justify a high value camera like the Linhof just for that reason.

Daniel Stone
28-Aug-2011, 09:50
having owned a Gaoersi 6x17, and having used(but not owned) a Linhof 617SIII, I'd seriously have 2nd thoughts about selling the Linhof. Seriously...

If you've never used an 8x10 camera(of any kind/brand), you'll know that it takes a great deal more space, and effort to lug it around. Some here use baby carriers(strollers) to get to farther-reached destinations from the car, where as a 6x17(even with multiple lenses) can be considerably lighter and more agile than an 8x10.

Now, if you're looking at an 8x10 for a larger negative to print from, then yes, that's an advantage. But why not a 4x10 camera instead, if you like panoramic photographs? You can still crop it to your desired format, but still maintaining a large negative that is on a thicker/more stable base than rollfilm, IMO...

decisions, decisions, but I'd test out an 8x10(if u haven't already) before making a final decision.

And ask yourself these questions:

1. Why do I want to go to 8x10?
2. Why do I want/need to sell the Linhof?
3. What can't I do with either camera that the other provides?
4. Can I afford to shoot 8x10?(FYi, I'm 23, but I decided to get an extra job, just to fund my photography(8x10 for me) habit). Are you that serious, if necessary, to have the funds for LF photography vs rollfilm(which is cheaper per shot generally).

-Dan

ThePenguin
28-Aug-2011, 11:19
@ DanielStone:

You got me wrong, man.

What I meen is that I want to keep a 6x17 camera (but if I sell the Linhof and buy a Dayi/Gaoersi I could get a few bucks in between)

So I don't wanna replace the 6x17 with a 8x10.

The 8x10 is for studio-purpose only (allmost only)

jeroldharter
28-Aug-2011, 12:02
For a studio, I would buy an 8x10 view camera. They are very reasonable now. Keep the linhof. I have never owned a linhof but have never heard of anyone regretting it. You might lose more selling a depreciated, used Linhof and buying a new Chinese camera than a used 8x10 view camera would cost.

devtank
22-Sep-2011, 20:24
Sell the Linhof! The negatives won't know the difference but your wallet will!

Lachlan 717
22-Sep-2011, 21:08
Sell the Linhof! The negatives won't know the difference but your wallet will!

+1.

If not for an 8x10, do it to get another lens/cone for the new camera.

As for the viewfinder, I don't use one. So that's moot for me. Mind you, Van Camper has come up with a great idea, strapping a P&S digital to the top of his Fotoman, calibrating it to the lens' view and using it as a Live View screen for quick shooting (I believe that he uses it for shooting yachting).

Done well, it would be much easier to use than ANY viewfinder.

rdenney
22-Sep-2011, 21:28
How do you use your Linhof? If it's tripod only, then you could get one of those Shen-Hao 617 field cameras that Mr. Lachlan helped design. You'd give up the rigid body, but in return you'd get much more lens flexibillity, ground glass, and movements.

That would certainly generate enough cash to dip a toe into 8x10 waters.

Rick "who likes the idea of 617, but would probably not use it much in practice" Denney

unixrevolution
23-Sep-2011, 05:14
How do you use your Linhof? If it's tripod only, then you could get one of those Shen-Hao 617 field cameras that Mr. Lachlan helped design. You'd give up the rigid body, but in return you'd get much more lens flexibillity, ground glass, and movements.

That would certainly generate enough cash to dip a toe into 8x10 waters.

Rick "who likes the idea of 617, but would probably not use it much in practice" Denney

I don't even have a toe in the 6x17 pool and the Shen Hao 617 field seems like a fun idea. $1699, rollfilm back included, which is very reasonable, and it's a pretty camera, to boot.

richard brown
25-Sep-2011, 12:38
Better yet, buy a Canham 5x7 with his motorized 6x17 back and then you can shoot those big 5x7 images AND have all those lenses to use on 617 as well. I did it and love the combo but use the 4x5 reducing back. Colour film is more restrictive in 5x7 as per
availability and type. As for 8x10 in studio work, I picked up a gorgeous Fatif monorail 8x10 last year for $425 from Quality Camera....a beast but exquisite! Your best option might be keeping the excellent Linhof and grabbing a good 810 monorail.

Bob Salomon
25-Sep-2011, 14:29
Better yet, buy a Canham 5x7 with his motorized 6x17 back and then you can shoot those big 5x7 images AND have all those lenses to use on 617 as well. I did it and love the combo but use the 4x5 reducing back. Colour film is more restrictive in 5x7 as per
availability and type. As for 8x10 in studio work, I picked up a gorgeous Fatif monorail 8x10 last year for $425 from Quality Camera....a beast but exquisite! Your best option might be keeping the excellent Linhof and grabbing a good 810 monorail.

The Linhof Technorama 612 and 617 cameras, with any of their lenses, is easily hand holdable when you want. Or when you are shooting where a tripod can not be used.
How do you do that with your solution?

Joshua Dunn
25-Sep-2011, 16:26

I second Richard's idea. I bought a Canham 6x17 roll film back and love it. I don't have one of his cameras but I modified a Sinar 5x7 back to accommodate the Canham 6x17 back. I can use any lens that will cover 5x7 (even a little less) and obviously being a Monorail I have movements that are only limited by coverage. I can even use my old brass lenses with a Sinar shutter and the Canham 6x17 back.

It makes for a extremely versatile multi-format platform. Right now I can shoot 4x5, 6x17 or 5x7 on it. I have yet to buy a 8x10 back but am in the market if I can find one for a good price.

-Joshua