PDA

View Full Version : Arista kits

Jehu
26-Aug-2011, 16:30
I've never done any color developing myself before but I've always considered it. Even more so after the last 6 months since I have a Jobo CPP2 sitting in my office. After Colormark closed their doors I decided to give it a try rather than try to find another lab that I trust. The first thing I did was visit my local photo supply store. The owner, Gordon, knew more than most about film Chemistry so he advised me. His advice was "Don't try it." I guess I'm a little too hard-headed to listen to that kind of advice so I kept looking for a way to give color processing a go. I finally found Arista Rapid kits. They have both C-41 and E-6. The one gallon kits are about $70 plus shipping. I look at it as four, one quart kits each. That's about $20 per batch. At $1.75 per sheet plus shipping, Colormark was about the same price. I always seemed to spend about $40 for a batch of C41 and E6 sheets. I've now tried both and I can report that it's not as hard to do as I was led to believe. As a matter of fact, aside from the mixing of the chemistry, I would even say that it's just as easy as BW processing.

Pros:
-I don't have to wait for a week and a half to get my film.
-I can say that my work is done entirely by myself. (Rodney Lough says that's important)
-It's part of the experience. Taking the art from field to finished final product.

Cons:
-It's a real pain to mix batches
-Sooner or later I'm going to make a mistake and ruin a shoot.

Now that I've actually entered the world of color film processing, I'm wondering if there's a better or less expensive way than these Arista kits. Being the only method I've used, I don't know whether to say that they're particularly good or bad.

Jehu
26-Aug-2011, 16:32
My first attempts:
Portrait - C41
Pier shot - E6

vinny
26-Aug-2011, 17:03
Better e6, yes with kodak.
Less expensive, no. The kits are no longer sold and you'll need to buy large $$$ quantities.

Jehu
27-Aug-2011, 16:16
How large?

al olson
27-Aug-2011, 16:42
. . .
They have both C-41 and E-6. The one gallon kits are about $70 plus shipping. I look at it as four, one quart kits each. That's about $20 per batch. At $1.75 per sheet plus shipping, Colormark was about the same price. I always seemed to spend about $40 for a batch of C41 and E6 sheets.
. . .

I have found another C-41 chemical source at Denver Pro Photo. For 5 liters of working solutions (starter, developer, bleach, and fix) the cost is just over $42. I can mix them in one liter quantities and I have been very happy with the results. See my post at:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=71226&highlight=c-41

D. Bryant
27-Aug-2011, 17:34
I have found another C-41 chemical source at Denver Pro Photo. For 5 liters of working solutions (starter, developer, bleach, and fix) the cost is just over $42.

That's a very good price!