PDA

View Full Version : Isberg Pass - Southern Yosemite

ROL
24-Aug-2011, 20:28
Since the newest trend seems to be "reporting" Sierra conditions, despite the fact that summitpost (http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/california.html?sid=457ba833da98400834b4120224608f0a) may be a more appropriate forum for this sort of thing, I'll add this from a week ago.

Mosquitoes, snow persisting in shade above 9,000', green, abundant wildflowers, passes to 10,500' clear with snow patches, mostly solid above 11,000' (Clark Range), all water crossings easily negotiable... and oh yeah, did I already say MOSQUITOES?!? – I'm not going out again until mid-September :eek:

I would hazard a guess that many passes above 11,000' north and 12,000' south of the San Joaquin will fail to completely clear of snow this year.

...as well as these (http://www.youtube.com/user/ROLCFA?feature=mhsn#p/u) decidedly non–LF images.

FYI: The otherwise unneeded ice axe (see video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_BlYWIdX_k)) was for Red Peak Pass, which I didn't have information for prior to leaving the trailhead.

Drew Wiley
25-Aug-2011, 08:44
That area is some of my old back yard. The quiet way into Yos backcounty. The only
time I ever needed an ice axe around there was downclimbing a class 3 col over the
face of Madera Pk following a freezing rain. Naturally, the ice axe was left in the back
of the truck because I figured I wouldn't need it. So I just had to keep lowering the
pack & view camera with a section of rope and downclimb the best I could. I'm waiting
out the mosquitos too, but itchy to get into the backcountry before it starts snowing
again! I generally prefer the Clark Range in mid-June before the bugs, but this year is
certainly different. Of course, it's up in there that John Muir became convinced of the
glacial origin of Yosemite, by discovering an active glacier on Merced Pk. Not a trace
of active glaciation anymore in the Clarks.

Vaughn
25-Aug-2011, 11:53
I was on top of Half Dome last week. No Snow, no mossies, lots of smoke...and lots of people, too. I wimped out -- just took the Rolleiflex instead of the 5x7.

Robert Oliver
25-Aug-2011, 14:01
I just got back from the Ansel Adams Wilderness... Yosemite was smoked in, so we opted for Garnet and Thousand Island Lake instead of Lyell Canyon to Vogelsang.

Mosquitos were worse than I've ever seen... they were fierce and thick all day, even in the wind. Heading back in a week or two, hoping they have mellowed out by then.

Scattered snow around 9,000 feet. We didn't really venture up past 10,000.

I guess I was too busy swatting mosquitos to meter correctly. Either that or I couldn't read my meter through the mosquito net.

Drew Wiley
25-Aug-2011, 15:15
More than once in the high country I've had trouble achieving fine focus with my loupe, couldn't figure out what's going on ... check my groundglass for condensation,
check my loupe for fingerprints, rub my eyes ... finally remove the lensboard and a
mosquito flies out.

Vaughn
25-Aug-2011, 15:44
I get a similar problem photographing out of Humboldt County -- The GG will get harder and harder to see and focus on. I then remove the back of the camera and usually a puff of steam comes out and I will find that the back of the lens will be fogged up. The sun (seldom seen in coastal Humboldt County) heats up the black bellows and drives out the residual moisture!

tgtaylor
26-Aug-2011, 08:50
...leaving the trailhead.

Did you leave from the Quartz Mountain TH?

Thomas

ROL
26-Aug-2011, 09:49
Thomas,

Isberg Pass TH, now located above Granite Creek Campground. Exited Clover Meadow.

ROL
26-Aug-2011, 10:00
I just got back from the Ansel Adams Wilderness...

RE: "Attached Thumbnail" - scan

Here's a real LARGE FORMAT scan of a 30'X40' fiber print:

Shadow Lake, After the Storm
http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/albums/Ansel-Adams-Wilderness/Shadow%20Lake%2C%20After%20the%20Storm.jpg

from my quiver (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/Ansel-Adams-Wilderness#1).

ROL
26-Aug-2011, 10:06
I was on top of Half Dome last week. No Snow, no mossies, lots of smoke...and lots of people, too. I wimped out -- just took the Rolleiflex instead of the 5x7.

The mossies were so bad that I had to eat lunch (and a few vectors), on Isberg Pass with a 30 mile/hour gusting wind – with my head net on. There was nothing else up there for them to "eat", other than me – though, quite understandably I have been told I am exceptionally delicious :o .

ROL
26-Aug-2011, 10:09
I'm waiting out the mosquitos too, but itchy to get into the backcountry before it starts snowing again!

Yes, I just had to scratch that itch, sooner than I knew better. Now, I have plenty of itches to scratch.

Vaughn
26-Aug-2011, 10:14
I would love to say that perhaps I was moving too fast for the mossies, but alas, that was not the case. Just lucky. Eighteen miles in a day is close to my limit! I was beat!

Just a few mossies at Wawona (4000' elevation) in the evenings and none noticed during the day. Also none from Glacier Point to the top of Half Dome (return via Mist Trail and the Valley.) Perhaps it was the hundreds of people on the Mist Trail that made it seem so mossie-free. More bodies than mossies!

Drew Wiley
26-Aug-2011, 14:24
The secret of not getting bit is really simple. Instead of a repellant you need an attractant. Just hike with someone fair-skinned and blonde with high metabolism.

ROL
26-Aug-2011, 15:20
Uh, sounds simple (minded) enough ...but have you seen the trip video?!? THAT'S ME! :eek: .

tgtaylor
26-Aug-2011, 15:20
There has been a lot of smoke around the Wawona/Glacer Point Road recently as a result of the Avalanche Fire which probably accounts for the lack of mosquitoes in that area. A fire (the "Motor Fire") started yesterday afternoon along Hwy 140 near the Cedar Lodge which has burned 1000 acres so far and Cedar Lodge, Incline and local Merced River Canyon campgrounds were evacuated. Rancheria, Old El Portal, and Yosemite West have been advised to prepare for evacuations. Highway 140, from the Foresta Bridge west is closed. There is no estimation as to when Hwy 140 will re-open. http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/current_fire.htm

Thomas

ROL
26-Aug-2011, 15:50
I doubt that the Avalanche Fire has much to do with mosquito activity not extremely local to the fire itself. Smoke has to be pretty dense to have any affect on them (but then, you might also need a smoke shifter).

I think it is more the case that the hatch follows water and warming up in elevation as the season progresses. This season was 1 1/2 to 2 months late due to near record snow and a cooler than normal summer. There were no bugs to speak of at the trailhead (7,000') – too late. I first ran into the swarms at about 8,500' (close to Half Dome's elevation) where they were undiminished to well past 10,500', in habitat not normally conducive to their habit (i.e., even dry ridges). The hatch should be "topping out" by now given a lack of much additional elevation and continual drying of the terrain. I feel certain their season will be over, at any elevation, throughout the Sierra, by mid-September – particularly if we get a few freezes (not uncommon in late summer) in the interim.

tgtaylor
26-Aug-2011, 15:54
Thomas,

Isberg Pass TH, now located above Granite Creek Campground. Exited Clover Meadow.

Interesting. I'm not all that familiar with that area. The last time I hiked in that area I started at the Chiquito Pass TH. Your loop looks more interesting. How may miles would you say it is and how much of a hike back to the car from Clover Meadow?

Thomas

Drew Wiley
26-Aug-2011, 15:58
ROL - I have done that loop many times, though like I said, I prefer to do it in mid-June. Even when the bugs are active in the lower mdws, they're generally pretty quiet that time of yr up around the granite benches where one travels cross-country between the various lakes right at snowline. This yr the skeeters are obviosly hatching late. All I can do is hope that there's a good freeze before mid-Sept, and that I'll be somewhere above them. I'm not as perturbed about skeeters as some people. Rather
have them than swarms of little biting gnats that go right thru yer netting, like the
Cascades and Wind Rivers get mid-summer. I've often wondered how Indians coped.
Lots of time I see little chips of obsidian on granite benches right beside lakes or up on
high passes. So I figure they chose the same kinds of spots as we do for the breezes which thin out those damned insects.

Drew Wiley
26-Aug-2011, 16:07
Tom - Clover Mdw is a mile from Granite Cr, or about two miles from the Norris Cr
Trailhd, which is my personal favorite for accessing the south side of the Clarks. But
if you want to romp right over Isberg Pass via Sadler Lk, the Granite Cr trailhead is the
most direct way. This was also the main route via Hemlock Crossing and Mammoth Pass
for aboriginal tribes heading over the range east. Wonderful country with fabulous views of the rugged west side of the Ritter Range, which can itself be reached via
Hemlock crossing (which now has a bridge). Next time I'm in headed for that country
I'll have to invite ROL - sounds like he's a good mosquito "attractant".

tgtaylor
26-Aug-2011, 17:11
Thanks for the info Drew. I think I'll do this sometime in the coming days. On my last trip over Chiquita Pass I didn't hit any water that I trusted until Gayle Peak/Chain Lakes area. Chiquita Lake was very shallow and looked stagnent.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
26-Aug-2011, 17:36
The water is quite good along the south side of the Clarks and I've never felt the need to filter it, although the lowest Jackass Lk might be an exception due to its accessibility to family camping. The forested ridge up to Lady Lk might be dry the
first four or five miles by typical midsummer. The early season crossing can be
dicey, but is easily bypassed if you follow the ridge right up to the granite slabs below the lake (which is quicker than the official trail toward Vanderburg Lake anyway). Lady Lk is a lovely short hike or overniter in its own right, but from there
you can access the whole chain of lakes or climb the peaks. I won't describe my
favorite ones, but as usual, they're off-trail somewhat. From there you can reach
Joe Crane Lk and Sadler, or opt for either Red Pass toward Chain Lks on the north
side, or up over Fernandez into the upper watershed of the Merced. The Granite Cr
trail has an entirely different personality, up along this wonderful creek, past distinctly buggy Cora lakes, and through the woods until you climb to Sadler at about 12 miles - a good first day. The south side of the Clarks is about as close as
you can get to John Muir's stereotype of the Sierra as "gentle wilderness", though
there a plenty of ways to get a good workout nonetheless, and abundunt photo
opportunities. From Granite Cr into the Ritters is definitely not "gentle", but a great
way to find solitude.

tgtaylor
26-Aug-2011, 18:05
Yes, it looks like a good trip: far better than the last one I took on the eastern side! Plenty of water and lakes! It sure looks scenic with lots of possibilities on the map.

I'll probably pack the Toyo 45CF and the lightweight Gitzo, 5 or 6 holders, Harrison Pup tent, and 50 sheets of film. I need to get a better map though as the ones I have either cut-off the start at Isberg Pass TH and cuts off before Clover Meadow or the scale is too large (1:250,000) for hiking.

In the meantime I'm sitting at home awaiting UPS to bring the box Kodak X-ray film that I ordered. I plan of shooting a few sheets of it tomorrow in Pt. Reyes.

Thomas