PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or the lab?

Peter York
24-Aug-2011, 10:06
Hi all,

I recieved some damaged slides back from the lab today and I was hoping you could help me troubleshoot what went wrong...

I took approximately 12 images on a recent backpacking trip using grafmatics. The film was changed in a newly-purchased harrison pup tent, and then sent to the lab. When I went to pickup the film, the lab said the film/box was recieved damaged. They asserted that I probably did not triple box the film, though I am fairly certain that I did.

What confuses me, though, is the resulting images. Approximately half are black, yet the remaining images look like double exposures. The only explanation I can think of for these double exposures is that the grafmatics were not cycling properly, but I am fairly certain that they are.

Any ideas on what may have happened? Is there any other explanation for the double-exposue?

Thanks!

Frank Petronio
24-Aug-2011, 10:44
The lab didn't make double exposures. Perhaps you shot the same holder twice?

Peter York
24-Aug-2011, 10:55
Frank, there was only one holder for the E-6, which was reloaded with new film. I am certain it was new film and I am almost certain that the Grafmatic was cycling properly.

Frank Petronio
24-Aug-2011, 11:14
And other film was OK? Because a small hole near the front of the camera could create a secondary pinhole type image... hard to figure where the second images came from?

Peter York
24-Aug-2011, 11:21
The 2nd film holder was C-41 and I did not shoot any on this trip. All other images from this camera have come out fine but I'll add the camera to the list of things to investigate. Thanks.

ic-racer
24-Aug-2011, 16:20
When you are pulling the film compartment in and out the counter is advancing but the film sheet stays the same until you do it a second time. So you exposed each sheet twice and took the film to the lab with half the film remaining unexposed.