PDA

View Full Version : help with disassembly of Schneider SA 165/8 in compur

gbogatko
23-Aug-2011, 17:38
I have a Schneider SA 165/8 with the compur shutter. While I'm not afraid to dig into a shutter mechanism, I'm just stumped how to take the whole thing apart. The front element doesn't just "unscrew" -- there's something holding it in place. Anyone have instructions to take this lens apart?

It's the one that some refer to as having "armour plating." Not the version in a copal 3m the "Schneider Compur-(Special) Mount."

George

Louis Pacilla
23-Aug-2011, 18:10
It appears to me that the front element assembly has set screws. I think if you loosen these up it should screw off.

The trouble may be finding a screw drive small enough . These things are tiny .

BTW- I see three screws. They can be found on the ring with shutter speeds printed on.

Hope this helps

ic-racer
23-Aug-2011, 18:11
I think on those you need to use some friction method to unscrew the cosmetic ring to get the front element out. You may have to dissolve some paint on the threads with acetone to loosen it. I also have successfully used heat.

Louis Pacilla
23-Aug-2011, 18:21
I thought he was trying to get to the shutter to work on it. Not disassemble and clean the elements .

John Koehrer
24-Aug-2011, 10:22
I thought he was trying to get to the shutter to work on it. Not disassemble and clean the elements .

+1 Removing the group from the shutter is the goal.

gbogatko
24-Aug-2011, 10:27
+1 Removing the group from the shutter is the goal.

Yup. I want to get at the shutter. It's not obvious how to remove the front group. Lots of little set-screws all over the place -- haven't found the ones holding the front yet.

George

Michael Jones
26-Aug-2011, 11:45
In the "been there, done that" department, there are many. tiny set screws in non-obvious placces. You can seriously bugger up the edges of the back front element. In all candor, it may be better to let Schneider's service department handle it. They overhauled the shutter and touched everything else on my 165 SA lens for $200 in 2007. While it may be more today, they know how to do it witout damage.

Good luck.

Mike

gbogatko
31-Aug-2011, 12:33
In all candor, it may be better to let Schneider's service department handle it.

What's their address? The only one I found is in Germany.
There's also S.K.Grimes.

Followup: To get to the 'magic' set screws, you have to take off the front element in the front group. Very frightening.

eddie
31-Aug-2011, 12:44
Send it to camera wiz. He is an expert. Cla'd mine with zero issues. ( he does all my shutters)

Eddie