PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody used one of these shutter releases?

Ash
22-Aug-2011, 15:21
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-shutter-release-Lens-Large-Format-Camera-/330445901283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf01c4de3

Any opinions?

I'm looking for something small and convenient, button-shaped, for my little 9x12. The cable release I'm using is no good.

Steven Tribe
22-Aug-2011, 15:51
No. I did have something that could have been great. An vintage hydraulic item that looked similar. Unfortunately, the cylinder was stuck and repair attempts just covered me with oil.

Randy
22-Aug-2011, 19:57
That's a neat little device. I want one...or two.

Light Guru
22-Aug-2011, 22:38
With Large Format I would be affraind that just a button like that right next to the lens that I would get movement on the camera from the button being pressed. Especaly on long exposures having to press it to open the shutter and then press it to close it again. Even a 6 inch cable would keep you plenty far from the lens to prevent any trouble.

Ash
22-Aug-2011, 23:44
This is going on a press camera that will either be handheld (blurry anyway) or on a tripod. The camera has a rear focal plane shutter that is quite a beast anyway, movement isn't the key issue I think.

Not planning on having one for a delicate front standard on a lightweight field camera shooting 1 minute exposures.

TheDeardorffGuy
28-Aug-2011, 18:16
Everything old is new again..........Something similar was around in the 70s and was a waste of the machinist time and energy. Of course then you could get many well made cable releases. Ask your camera shop to get you a 36 inch AGC Gauthier of Calmbach cable release. No doubt that kid behind the counter has no idea what you are talking about, just keep trying

jayabbas
28-Aug-2011, 19:36
Tell us more about the 36 inch AGC Gauthier of Calmbach cable release. Man that is fun to say 3 times in a row ! I just found in my goodie box a 6 inch AGC cable release. The plunger handle has a very nice script design of the company name AGC on it. A really smooth little unit.

Oren Grad
28-Aug-2011, 20:13
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-shutter-release-Lens-Large-Format-Camera-/330445901283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf01c4de3

Any opinions?

I'm looking for something small and convenient, button-shaped, for my little 9x12. The cable release I'm using is no good.

I have one. Your post got me to dig it up and try putting it on the lens that's currently on my 3.25x4.25 Crown Graphic - a 135 Apo-Symmar in Copal 0 - to see how that combination would work.

Pretty well, actually. The release has a long and not especially smooth stroke, but with a bit of practice it should be workable for all but critical timing on fast action. I like it enough that I might even use it next time I go out with one of my Graphics hand-held.

The picture in the eBay posting doesn't give any size cues, but it's quite large - about 4.5 cm long, and 1 cm diameter at the fat end. So the critical question will be whether there's enough room for it to fit the front standard of your camera and allow for comfortable finger access, when it's screwed in to whatever cable release socket is provided.

What you really want is one of those lovely little shutter buttons that Alpa provides with their pricey helicoid-mounted apo-digital lenses. Alas, they won't sell them separately - I asked.

Jon Shiu
28-Aug-2011, 21:15
I have a little spring loaded button on the lensboard. It works good. I wonder if they still make/sell them.

Jon

Frank Petronio
28-Aug-2011, 21:41
I had a different style one from a Crown Graphic, probably 50s-era. Worked OK, a cable is still going to be smoother.

jnantz
29-Aug-2011, 04:45
i use a degroff,
costs a bit but works better than anything
else i have found or picked up.

you can still find the pistons on eboink .. engraved &C but with no hose.
the fix-up is with a little graphite dust, nothing more ..
blood pressure hose and bulb and you are in business.
smooth as silk and has a long-throw for the old lenses like
betax and alphax shutters, and works perfect with studio shutters ..

Philippe Grunchec
29-Aug-2011, 04:54
Have a look here : http://www.xn--drahtauslser-djb.com/

TheDeardorffGuy
29-Aug-2011, 07:35
Tell us more about the 36 inch AGC Gauthier of Calmbach cable release. Man that is fun to say 3 times in a row ! I just found in my goodie box a 6 inch AGC cable release. The plunger handle has a very nice script design of the company name AGC on it. A really smooth little unit.

Hi Jay. I have a couple of these. The last one I bought was in 09. It had to be ordered so I'm thinking they are still made. It is strange but there are 3 different ends I need therefore 3 different releases. There's a Straight 5-44 thread that goes into An Ilex I have. The Wolllansak Thread is 5-44 too. And also the outside Wollansak thread and that tapered "universal" thread. I also use a Degroff Air piston on all Ilex and Wollansak because of the power and length of stroke needed. I also have all my shutters so the end of the release screws up into the shutter and not down with a nasty bend in it.

Ash
29-Aug-2011, 10:20
Those are all nice cable releases but I think you're all missing the point... I have cable releases, I wanted a simple push-button for a camera with a focal plane shutter.

BrianShaw
29-Aug-2011, 10:30
Ash... going back to your original question... no experience with that device (didn't even know a modern version existed until your post) and should be good if one wants a push-button release that screws into a cable release socket. Let's face it, there is little that can go wrong except losing the darn thing. I've wanted the same for a Rolleicord and ended up getting the original Rollei push-button release but it took forever-and-a-day to find one on ebay. Price was about the same. The Rolle version might be a bit more compact in size.

BrianShaw
29-Aug-2011, 10:32
p.s. The throw of the Rollei attachment might not be long enough for use on the focal plane trigger of an Anniversary Graphic. Don't know which press camera you are using these days.

Ash
29-Aug-2011, 11:24
The camera would be an Ernemann Klapp 9x12 (although I may be adapting it to quarter-plate since I have film sheaths for that size now).

TheDeardorffGuy
29-Aug-2011, 16:42
Yea got off topic a bit..Sorry. I have several Speeds and my Triamapros. I've tried the handheld thing when photographing high speed trains. I have a screw in release that has a nice button with a spring to push it back up. I machined it myself to fit the threads in the shutter. Do I like it? Not as much as a side mounted grip with a cable release. I can hold the camera in a fist and cradle it with the other. 1/10 sec exposures were possable.