PDA

View Full Version : Any UK members here?

Jason_1622
21-Aug-2011, 06:36
Anyone near Newcastle in the UK? I need someone who can pick up an old camera for me. I'll pay for the camera, shipping and whatever you feel your time is worth. I just don't want to hand over $1600 to a complete stranger... I'd rather put my faith (and hard-earned cash) in your hands.

Ash
21-Aug-2011, 07:06
Newcastle is miles off. I'm sure there's someone though.

Pete Watkins
21-Aug-2011, 07:09
Hi Jason,
Where are you?
Pete.

edtog
21-Aug-2011, 12:45
I'm too far away but you could try here http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/

Nguss
21-Aug-2011, 12:49
I am from Newcastle! Well Gateshead. I may be able to get it depending on where it is, let me know if you would like me to have a look. Forgot to add that I hve only been around here for 5 minutes, but you can check my username on ebay if you need to make sure I am not a rip off merchant.

Jason_1622
21-Aug-2011, 12:58
I am from Newcastle! Well Gateshead. I may be able to get it depending on where.

I'm in Dallas, TX. A guy will hook me up with an 11x14 Deardorff for 1000 GBP, but only if I do cash or money order to avoid paypal fees. That's why I want to send the cash to someone I can trust a little more, and give them a fee for their trouble to pick it up and ship it to me. At least if it's a trusted member of this board, I have less of a chance of losing my hard-earned money.

I can be emailed at janikphoto at yahoo.com and anyone who feels like debating the worth of this camera, please give me your input:

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/pho/2531435162.html

Like I said, he seemed willing to take 1000 GBP in cash, which seems fair to me. Thoughts?!?

Nguss
21-Aug-2011, 13:07
I am really new to large format so no idea on the price unfortunately but if it was near it would not be a bother to pick it up for you and there would be no question of asking for a fee, but it would just really depend where it was.

Brian Ellis
21-Aug-2011, 17:35
I'm in Dallas, TX. A guy will hook me up with an 11x14 Deardorff for 1000 GBP, but only if I do cash or money order to avoid paypal fees. That's why I want to send the cash to someone I can trust a little more, and give them a fee for their trouble to pick it up and ship it to me. At least if it's a trusted member of this board, I have less of a chance of losing my hard-earned money.

I can be emailed at janikphoto at yahoo.com and anyone who feels like debating the worth of this camera, please give me your input:

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/pho/2531435162.html

Like I said, he seemed willing to take 1000 GBP in cash, which seems fair to me. Thoughts?!?

Aren't we talking about a Pay Pal fee of about $48 U.S./$29 GBP (3% Pay Pal fee, $1000 GBP = roughly U.S. $1,630? Why don't you just offer to pay the Pay Pal fee if you're willing to pay someone here to pack and ship it for you? That way you avoid dealing in cash, avoid getting a 3rd party involved, and you get some buyer's protection from Pay Pal FWIW.

Jason_1622
21-Aug-2011, 20:11
Aren't we talking about a Pay Pal fee of about $48 U.S./$29 GBP (3% Pay Pal fee, $1000 GBP = roughly U.S. $1,630? Why don't you just offer to pay the Pay Pal fee if you're willing to pay someone here to pack and ship it for you? That way you avoid dealing in cash, avoid getting a 3rd party involved, and you get some buyer's protection from Pay Pal FWIW.

That's a good point. You think I'd be safer offering the paypal plan or having someone we know from the forum picking it up? I'd never had such an expensive thing sent from another country before. And I can't afford to mess up with $1700 usd.

john biskupski
22-Aug-2011, 08:16
The Craigslist ad asks for £1,900 for the camera. And you say the seller is willing to drop to £1,000 for cash. Mmmm. You've seen the 'Deardorff' sign on the front of the camera on the ad? That doesn't look like an original Deardorff item to me. Mmmmm.

Why don't you post a new thread here asking for help to identify a Deardorff camera on Craiglist (if that's not against the rules), and maybe some of the knowledgeable folk on this forum could then help. Otherwise insist on Paypal as Brian says to give you some minimum protection, in addition to having someone pick it up locally for you if possible.

Jason_1622
22-Aug-2011, 09:40
It doesn't matter... he just received a higher offer from someone locally. I'll keep looking for a good 11x14, and will probably wind up with one a member here has for sale. As a matter of fact, can you all tell me much about this one?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=78390&highlight=12x15

He still has it and I'll have my money by the end of this week. I'm assuming this one is custom made.

Steven Tribe
22-Aug-2011, 10:32
Just a guess - but could this be a product from India?

Justin Cormack
22-Aug-2011, 13:31
Very suspicious, you dont get a lot of ULF Deardorff's in this country (uk). Nor is Craigslist big here, it has only really taken off in US. I suspect he saw this conversation and pulled out...

Ramiro Elena
22-Aug-2011, 13:41
... and you get some buyer's protection from Pay Pal FWIW.

I believe Pay Pal offers no protection outside eBay. I got ripped-off by a seller (small amount) and Pay Pal answered "computer says nooo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdjCb4LwQY)".

Jason_1622
22-Aug-2011, 13:44
That's fine. I've finally got the money for 11x14 and I've been wanting to take on the challenge for a long time. I have one holder so far, but that's as far as I've made it towards my crazy dream...

Steven Tribe
22-Aug-2011, 14:41
My comment about an Indian camera was directed at the linked camera in the "for sale" section here - post #11. These usually have indigenous wood types.

Jason_1622
22-Aug-2011, 23:32
My comment about an Indian camera was directed at the linked camera in the "for sale" section here - post #11. These usually have indigenous wood types.

I figured that's what you meant. I don't know much about it, but would like to.

Andrew Plume
23-Aug-2011, 00:30
I've never seen a 11x14 'dorff for sale in the UK

andrew

Tony Lakin
23-Aug-2011, 00:58
I've never seen a 11x14 'dorff for sale in the UK

andrew

We don't need Dorffs in GB, why would we, we have Gandolfi:D

Steven Tribe
23-Aug-2011, 01:45
"I don't know much about it, but would like to"
There is quite a lot here about the traditional camera makers in India.Search for Indian or Vageeswari.

Jason_1622
23-Aug-2011, 07:46
"I don't know much about it, but would like to"
There is quite a lot here about the traditional camera makers in India.Search for Indian or Vageeswari.

Oh, I've read the threads before. I know they have their quirks, but are decent cameras for the money. I guess I was just looking for some general guidance... what would you do if you have about $1500-$2000 and wanted to make the 11x14 plunge?

ashlee52
25-Aug-2011, 07:29
I owuld bet a huge amount that the background in the photos of that camera is not in the UK.

deadpan
25-Aug-2011, 13:29
I owuld bet a huge amount that the background in the photos of that camera is not in the UK.

My thoughts exactly...the background and light doesn't look right for the UK...