PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 55 gooey negatives

Ray Riedel
19-Aug-2011, 17:38
My first time using the Polaroid 55 positive/negative film. I took two photos and the positive images came out nice, but the negatives have a moist gooey substance on them that has not evaporated after more than an hour in my air-conditioned (low humidity) home.

Is there a liquid I can use to clean this off with? I have to believe this goo will ruin any images I try to make with the negative.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and know of a fix?

dasBlute
19-Aug-2011, 18:10
It won't every evaporate and you better get it off soon
or the negs will stain.

soak them in water or a mild ivory soap solution for a half hour or so.

serious people will say sodium sulfite or nothing, but
dishwasher soaps works fine.

watch out for the metal clips, they'll come loose and scratch your negs which are *very* soft
until dry. your fingernails will scratch too...

-Tim

Ray Riedel
19-Aug-2011, 18:38
Thanks Tim, this seems to be working on the first negative I tried.

I assume I should just let these drip dry after a water rinse -is that correct?"

dasBlute
19-Aug-2011, 23:38
yup, and they can make beautiful prints... savor them!

Ray Riedel
21-Aug-2011, 11:13
I'll look for some sodium sulfide for the future.

I didn't read carefully and used dishwashing soap instead of dishwasher soap. It saved my negatives before the goo ruined them, but I've since learned I risked getting water spots. Perhaps dishwasher soap would reduce chances of that happening.

I was impressed with the negatives. I have a $49 scanner from 6 or 7 years ago and scanned the negatives, then used the free scanner software to switch the images to "negative". I was impressed with what I got (factoring in the low end equipment). I'm considering using that method when I start shooting regular B&W film.

The film is 50 ASA and these are my first 4 x 5 photos. The sharpness of this camera and film combo is impressive. I loved the very shallow DOF I got for softening the subjects face, but the eyes were strikingly, beautifully, sharp.

Gem Singer
21-Aug-2011, 12:00
It's Sodium Sulfite, not Sulphide.

Look for Heico Permawash, or Orbit Bath. Both will work.

To prevent water spots, soak the negatives in distilled water that contains a few drops of a wetting agent before hanging to dry.

Gary Beasley
21-Aug-2011, 14:14
Okay, don't judge the negs by the instant print. Moast experienced shooters of that medium will tell you it needs another stop exposure for a good neg over what it takes for a good positive. But yeah the negs are top of the line when you get it right.

Ray Riedel
12-Jan-2012, 19:56
More questions:
I have read that using water without sodium sulfite will cause reticulation and the purpose of the sodium sulfite was to prevent reticulation. (I had to lookup up reticulation -seems to be more related to thermal shock.) I am concerned that dishwashing soap won't be enough. I've also read I should use a hardener to preseve against scratches.

I am in Berlin this month and TSA snatched the sodium sulfite out of my luggage before I left Cleveland. (they thought is was sodium sulfide). I've been to ASA 90, looked at the Calumet Berlin website, no one here has "natriumsulfit", or Kodak Hypo-clear, or permawash. I'm now trying chemical suppliers, but no responses yet.

Also the only fixers I've found seem to include bleach.

So if I'm to use soap:
Should it be liquid dishwashing soap (hopefully with no hand cream in it)
Should it be granular dishwasher soap (wouldn't it scratch the neg?)
Will it be OK for the negative in the long run, or should I use sodium sulfite next month when I get back home?

For fixer:
Won't the bleach damage the negative?

thanks

D. Bryant
12-Jan-2012, 20:06
More questions:
I have read that using water without sodium sulfite will cause reticulation and the purpose of the sodium sulfite was to prevent reticulation. (I had to lookup up reticulation -seems to be more related to thermal shock.) I am concerned that dishwashing soap won't be enough. I've also read I should use a hardener to preseve against scratches.

I am in Berlin this month and TSA snatched the sodium sulfite out of my luggage before I left Cleveland. (they thought is was sodium sulfide). I've been to ASA 90, looked at the Calumet Berlin website, no one here has "natriumsulfit", or Kodak Hypo-clear, or permawash. I'm now trying chemical suppliers, but no responses yet.

Also the only fixers I've found seem to include bleach.

So if I'm to use soap:
Should it be liquid dishwashing soap (hopefully with no hand cream in it)
Should it be granular dishwasher soap (wouldn't it scratch the neg?)
Will it be OK for the negative in the long run, or should I use sodium sulfite next month when I get back home?

For fixer:
Won't the bleach damage the negative?

thanks
Are you telling us there are no photo stores in Berlin that carry these kind of products? Look for dealers that stock tetenal brand darkroom chems.

Winger
12-Jan-2012, 20:34
I've soaked mine in just water with several changes and they seem fine so far (3 years or so). No reticulation. They will scratch easily, but I haven't tried hardener.

anglophone1
13-Jan-2012, 12:19
Are you telling us there are no photo stores in Berlin that carry these kind of products? Look for dealers that stock tetenal brand darkroom chems.

Fotoimpex in Berlin is the place, has everything analog!