PDA

View Full Version : Jumping in with my 4x5 Graflex Graphic View camera

jcornelius84
18-Aug-2011, 16:46
Hello,

I'm Joe and I'm in Winston-Salem, NC. Currently going to grad school at Wake Forest University for documentary film.

The camera was a gift from a older gentleman who noticed my love for photography when I was shooting with 35. When I got the 4x5 camera I was baffled by how complicated it was, it seemed so different from typical photography shot with rolls of film. Unfortunately, it sat in my closet for years before I worked up the courage to learn and embrace the format.

I have been lurking on this website for a while. The posts in the monthly portraits has been very inspirational to me and helped me finally get in motion towards large-format photography.

I have been reading books, watching videos, and tinkering around with the camera for a few months now. I finally ordered the 4x5 film (Ilford HP5 Plus 400 Black and White) , and it arrived this week. Invited my girlfriend for a picnic and photo-shoot tomorrow. I'm very excited about it!

I have been cleaning my 4x5 film holders, lenses, etc. in preparation of tomorrow. I will post the photographs on here, look forward to some feedback and advice.

Thanks for reading,
Joe

Andrew O'Neill
18-Aug-2011, 21:01
Hey Joe, welcome to the forum! HP5 is a very nice film and has been my main film for quite a few years. Looking forward to seeing your results!

andrew

John Kasaian
18-Aug-2011, 23:14
Welcome Joe!

mattydk
19-Aug-2011, 04:48
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the wonderful world of LF shooting! Be warned, it does become addictive!:)

ImSoNegative
20-Aug-2011, 06:39
yes addictive, worst than any drug ;)

MMELVIS
21-Aug-2011, 15:45
welcome and we look forward to your future posts

BradS
21-Aug-2011, 16:04
....I have been reading books, watching videos, and tinkering around with the camera for a few months now. I finally ordered the 4x5 film (Ilford HP5 Plus 400 Black and White) , and it arrived this week. Invited my girlfriend for a picnic and photo-shoot tomorrow. I'm very excited about it!

Way cool!

Might want to practice the sequence of steps that leads up to tripping the shutter a few times too.

you will almost certainly forget to...
---pull the dark slide
---close the shutter after focusing and prior to pulling the darkslide
---stop down the lens after focusing.

we all do (forget these things). Good luck and have fun.
oh...and...Welcome.