PDA

View Full Version : Big Camera

Terry Hull
18-Aug-2011, 16:33
One of the bigger large format cameras I have seen

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2011-08/you-built-what-big-picture

msk2193
19-Aug-2011, 04:32
Pano Shooter -- Susan here is one made just for you!

Rick A
19-Aug-2011, 06:14
I'm drooling!

Marizu
19-Aug-2011, 06:23
That doesn't look like a big lens on there.
Has he removed the front elements?
Does removing the front elements produce a bigger circle?

GPS
19-Aug-2011, 07:39
One of the bigger large format cameras I have seen

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2011-08/you-built-what-big-picture

From the technical point of view the camera is a misconception. Using one heavy tripod for this huge a camera instead of two smaller ones is an idea of a technical ignorant.
One could also wonder why the lens board is constructed to be so wide - to add more weight and to make the bellows even bigger than it needs to be..? :rolleyes:

Uri A
22-Aug-2011, 17:53
kudos..

Mark Sawyer
22-Aug-2011, 18:28
That doesn't look like a big lens on there.
Has he removed the front elements?
Does removing the front elements produce a bigger circle?

Plasmats, Dagors, and many other lenses are convertible to longer focal lengths by using the front or rear cell behind the shutter. The resultant focal length is usually in the general neighborhood of twice the "normal" (using both cells) focal length, with a corresponding increase in image circle. One should use single cells with the aperture closed to a smaller stop.

Trivia: Ansel Adams used a single cell of his Cooke Triple Convertible to make Moonrise, Hernandez.

MIke Sherck
23-Aug-2011, 06:05
From the technical point of view the camera is a misconception. Using one heavy tripod for this huge a camera instead of two smaller ones is an idea of a technical ignorant.
One could also wonder why the lens board is constructed to be so wide - to add more weight and to make the bellows even bigger than it needs to be..? :rolleyes:

And yet here he is, exposing film and showing the prints, while you... ?

Mike

Asher Kelman
23-Aug-2011, 06:44

Actually, I'm surprised he gets a picture

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/PSC0911_H2_090-(1).jpg

John B. Carnett: On Display

Samuelson will exhibit photos taken with his giant DIY camera at San Francisco’s Inclusions Gallery on August 20.

The bellows sag in both sections would cause vignetting. Not a good design! Still, he must successfully adjust the standards differently for actual use. The lens fits in a Copal Shutter, so it's not any process lens. But it has a small angle of projection if that matches the bellows.

"the next day, he ordered more cloth and started the bellows again. This time he was successful, so he moved on to the frame, using a computer-aided design program to ensure that he got the measurements right. "

Now what was the program needed for?" Bellows length or diversion?

I'm impressed by his industry, and his gallery showing!

Asher

GPS
23-Aug-2011, 11:37
Actually, I'm surprised he gets a picture

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/PSC0911_H2_090-(1).jpg

John B. Carnett: On Display

Samuelson will exhibit photos taken with his giant DIY camera at San Francisco’s Inclusions Gallery on August 20.

The bellows sag in both sections would cause vignetting. Not a good design! Still, he must successfully adjust the standards differently for actual use. The lens fits in a Copal Shutter, so it's not any process lens. But it has a small angle of projection if that matches the bellows.

"the next day, he ordered more cloth and started the bellows again. This time he was successful, so he moved on to the frame, using a computer-aided design program to ensure that he got the measurements right. "

Now what was the program needed for?" Bellows length or diversion?

I'm impressed by his industry, and his gallery showing!

Asher

Also, the bellows supporting anti-sag part has a uselessly wide collar - probably built with the same logic as the lensboard... The basic constructional mistake is to think that a huge view camera is just a scaled up copy of a small one.

ashlee52
25-Aug-2011, 07:43
With no more than 6 assistants you could even photograph on a windy day.

Dan Fromm
25-Aug-2011, 09:32
Plasmats, Dagors, and many other lenses are convertible to longer focal lengths by using the front or rear cell behind the shutter. The resultant focal length is usually in the general neighborhood of twice the "normal" (using both cells) focal length, with a corresponding increase in image circle. One should use single cells with the aperture closed to a smaller stop.

Trivia: Ansel Adams used a single cell of his Cooke Triple Convertible to make Moonrise, Hernandez.

Mark, according to their makers, when single elements of my convertibles -- one plasmat, a number of dagor types, and a double Gauss type -- are used there's no gain in coverage.

The lens shown on the camera in the picture displayed in this thread is much larger than the one shown in Copal in the PopSci article. The big 'un doesn't seem to be in shutter.