PDA

View Full Version : Tiltall - removeable leg

E. von Hoegh
18-Aug-2011, 12:07
Does anyone know when they stopped making one leg removeable? (For a monopod)
Did the Marchionis have this feature?
I keep finding contradictory information.

Thanks in advance.

lenser
18-Aug-2011, 13:02
I've owned three of the E. Leitz version and one Marchioni. All have had removeable legs. I often used the Marhcini as a monopod with the attached 1/4x20 stud accessory and a small ball head.

E. von Hoegh
19-Aug-2011, 07:10
Hmmm.
None of the legs unscrew on mine. I'll try some liquid wrench and see what happens.
Could it be that the early ones didn't have this feature?

Thank you for your help.

John Koehrer
19-Aug-2011, 09:52
I believe removing the leg and adding a head from the bottom of the column was a later feature. I don't think it was advertised as such until long after Marchioni had left the business.

There may have been a sealant used on the early ones to keep them from vibrating loose.

johnielvis
19-Aug-2011, 16:12
WELLL whaddya know!!!!???

I never knew this....checked my tiltal and BAM...it works!!!!! all this time and I never knew. I always wondered about that extra 1/4-20 threaded thing on the other end of the center column....man....unbelievable

Jim Jones
19-Aug-2011, 18:47
All of the legs unscrew on two of my Tiltalls. As I recall, this is necessary when completely disassembling the legs for maintenance.

E. von Hoegh
23-Aug-2011, 07:22
Well, none of the legs will unscrew easily from the one I have. I'll wait to remove them until I need to to clean and lube the locking mechanisms, which probably should be soon.
I have a walking stick that telescopes and converts to a monopod, so it's no loss that the Tiltall doesn't. I was curious, after having read about it several times.

Thank you all for your responses. :)

Heespharm
23-Aug-2011, 09:52
Not all tiltall tripods convert to a monopod... Just the later tiltalls

However ALL tiltall legs are removable for service... Mine were loctited on so it was more difficult

Rick A
23-Aug-2011, 11:57
The Marchioni Bros mods legs all unscrew, but (IIRC)are different threads than the head so no monopod. The Leitz mods I think all have that feature as should all the latest versions. The leg with the Tiltall decal should be the one that unscrews, then take the adapter from the bottom of the column to make the monopod.