PDA

View Full Version : Efke 4x5 Ir film, PyrocatHD and stain removal

Cor
18-Aug-2011, 06:08
This is more a FYI, although further comments off course appreciated..….

I shoot 4x5 MACO IR (aka EFKE IR) film on a regular basis for years now. I always soup this film in PyrocatHD. And I mostly print on VC paper.

Measuring UV light with a normal light meter is an assumption at best, it’s kinda hard to nail an exactly right exposure on IR film with a non-dedicated UV light meter (which I do not have anyway). My Gossen Luna 6 does a quite decent job. But occasionally I end up with overexposed negatives (quite easy with IR film). Than the pyro stain comes in handy. The heavy stain in the blown out highlights act as a low contrast VC filter, thus lowering these highlights.

But sometimes there is just too much stain, and you’ll end up with a flat, lifeless image. Printing at a higher grade does not help, the stain in the highlights is constant and so is the printing of these highlights, the print gets an even flatter appearance. Perhaps because there is also considerable stain in the mid regions as well.

So such a negative would benefit from the removal of the Pyro stain.

Recently I had such a negative and I treated it with Kodak S6 stain remover, and it worked like a charm. After stain removal I still had a flattish negative, but printing on Grade 3 ½ I obtained a very nice print, with a nice contrast and punch en bright white clouds not that murky light gray.

Perhaps a bit cumbersome but an excellent tool to salvage a lifeless negative,

Enjoy,

Cor

And here the formulae:

Here is the Kodak S6 formula for removing of stain:

Stock solution A:
Potassium parmanganate 5.2g
Cold water to make 1l

The permanganate has to be dissolved completely to avoid spots on the
neg.

Stock solution B:
Cold water 500ml
Sodium chloride 75g
Sulfuric acid, conc. 16ml
Cold water to make 1l
Caution: Never put the water into the acid, it will boil up!

Stock solution C:

Sodium bisulfite,

1% solution, this means 1g for 100ml water
1. Harden the film (2-3min) in a hardener solution like 5-10% glyoxal
2. Wash for 5min
3. Bleach in equal amounts of A and B for 3-4min,
the mix is of short shelf life
4. After bleaching put negative in solution C until
all stain is removed
5. Wash thoroughly
6. redevelop under 100W bulb in a non staining developer of low alkali
like D72 dilution 1:2. D76 does no good because of it´s high sulfite
and low alkali which would dissolve the silver image

And while we are at it:

Kodak's D72 Formula DEKTOL
• 750 ml Water
• 3 g Metol-Elon
• 45 g Sodium Sulfite Anhydrous
• 12 g Hydroquinone
• 80 g Sodium Carbonate 1-Hydrate
• 2 g Potassium Bromide Anhydrous
• Water to make 1 liter

Cor
22-Aug-2011, 05:44
Just re-read my post, cannot edit it anymore, but I made a stupid mistake which annoyed me, off course IR film is sensitive to IR light and NOT UV light as I mistakingly wrote (and I wasn't even alt. printing when I wrote it). Sorry for possible confusion.

And while I am using bandwidth..here is a summary of above post I used in another thread:

Perhaps I did not made it clear in my original post:

I occasionally obtain heavy overexposed negatives when shooting IR film and processing in PyrocatHD.

More silver is more stain.

A lot of stain acts as a low(ering) contrast filter in my condensor enlarger and VC filters on Ilford MG IV RC.

This overexposed negative is in my hands not really printable (a snappy contrasty print), increasing the grade does not help due to heavy stain.

Bleaching this stain away returns life again , the negative prints nice again,
especially the highlights are bright and detailed again .

Best,

Cor

Gem Singer
22-Aug-2011, 06:41
Why not use a no-staining developer and save a lot of time and effort?

Cor
22-Aug-2011, 07:58
Why not use a no-staining developer and save a lot of time and effort?

Because shooting IR film is sometimes a hit and miss afair, it's quite easy to end up with blocked highlights, than the Pyro stain helps reducing contrast in these highlights. Occasionally my highlights are so blocked up, and the stain is so strong it reduces highlight contrast too much, hence these drastic measures.

Roughly 90% of my PyrocatHD souped IR negatives print just fine, I guess 2% is severely underexposed, and 8% or so is too blocked up to print statifactory on VC paper (graded paper can come to the rescue, but I do not have much anymore and not in all sizes)

Best,

Cor

Ken Lee
10-Aug-2012, 01:54
See a previous discussion here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?58802-HC110-or-Pyrocat-HD-for-FP4).

You can remove stain by adding a pinch of Sodium Sulfite to the developer.

You can also remove general stain by soaking the film in some Sodium Sulfite after fixing.

Sodium Sulfite is the principal ingredient in Hypo Clear, but if you use an alkaline fixer you don't need Hypo Clear. Even so, 1 teaspoon per liter for 10 min will remove some overall stain.