PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a universal / SS tank for 4x5 film?

architorture
17-Aug-2011, 16:06
I've been trying to figure out an economical way that I could process 4x5 B/W film without a darkroom.

I've read a little about the BTZS tubes (which I see a used set of 6 with the tray available for $75), and also the JOBO tanks which seem somewhat rare and very expensive.

BUT, I was wondering: could I not just use one of the paterson type universal daylight tanks or the similar SS tanks, probably the size made for two rolls of 120, to process 4x5 film? It would be very similar to a BTZS tube, but there would only be the first step of loading the film in the tank that must be done in the dark. everything else could be done as normal in light, with no darkroom required. I suppose the only downside is less efficient chemical usage?

I could imagine modifying one of the tanks so that it took less liquid by gluing an object in the center to reduce the volume...

John Koehrer
17-Aug-2011, 16:25
You could make your own "BTZS" tubes w/black plastic(ABS?) pipe from the home center nearest you. The white pvc won't work, it's sorta kinda translucent

MMELVIS
17-Aug-2011, 16:37
Yes you can, this type of Nikor tank will work, 6.5 inches tall by 3.5 inches wide. Honeywell Nikor Q30 Stainless Steel tank. Develop 2 4x5 negatives at a time.

Gem Singer
17-Aug-2011, 16:49
Look up the "taco" method for developing sheet film in the Paterson tank.

Light Guru
17-Aug-2011, 16:54
I use a Paterson 3 reel tank and a 6 sheet holder from mod photographic.

architorture
17-Aug-2011, 19:23
Look up the "taco" method for developing sheet film in the Paterson tank.

Awesome! Thanks for the great, and speedy replies everybody.
I knew it had to have been done...

Ed's soft sock technique sounds like the best way.
based on very rough calculations you should not have to adjust the developer strength for up to 8 or 9 sheets of 4x5 (if that many could even fit in there). Am I right? 3 rolls of 36exp 35mm film is roughly 930 sq cm of film, so divided by roughly 108 sq cm for a sheet of 4x5 gives 8-9 sheets...

now all i need is a 4x5 camera...

tuco
17-Aug-2011, 20:19
Some people don't like it because of the small pouring/refilling spout but the HP Combi-Plan tank (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/23845-REG/HP_Combi_Plan_459809_HP_Combi_4_x.html) is an option. I've been using it for the last 15 years for my 4x5 sheet with fine results.

Paul H
20-Aug-2011, 02:21
I used to develop my 9x12cm and 4x5" using the taco method. Three or four years ago I acquired a Paterson Orbital, which is much more economical, and does four sheets at a time.

Another option is to look for a print drum - these aren't hard to find, nor particularly expensive.